G37 Sedan

2014 Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 05:45 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Lets not forget that Infiniti is a young company, they do not have the 100 years of design heritage to draw on like BMW, Audi , MB
Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 PM
CROONEY1970

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
you sir are a moron
I am on my 3rd G and it may not be my last. You can count me as one less guy who will be buying an unrecognizable Infiniti that belongs in the next transformers movie however. Again......I know who makes the A4 and the 335. Who makes the Q50? What is that??? I'm spending 40k plus on a luxury car no one has ever heard of, and looks like a Hyundai Sonata on steroids.

If I was in the market for a 20k chevy or ford sedan I really wouldn't care if it was a Malibu,cruze, or fusion as long as it looked nice which all those cars do. No one buys those cars so they can feel great owning that specific car. Now a 335,G37,S6....yes, they do buy those for that reason. Chevy and Buick have changed their lineup names so often but it doesn't matter. It seems like Infinti has followed in GM's footsteps and changed it all up, just when people who own their cars could feel proud to drive them. Now that's all erased. Back to square one? A Maxima may be in my future. At least it's fast,reliable, and KNOWN.

Last edited by CROONEY1970; 05-10-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Another thing I find interesting...if you look at the current gen Nissans (Altima, mostly), it looks like they were "conditioning" all of us for the squinted front grille. They are halfway there with the current iteration of the Altima grille

2013 Nissan Altima - Overview - CarGurus
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
The G35 wasn't known either when it came out. It is a whole new vehicle and honestly fixed pretty much every error the G had.

I dont know, maybe I just understand this industry and whats going on and why its happening more than others... stricter credentials when building a new car, emissions, etc. Everything plays a roll to make something. And when your running in a fleet of low, wide sports sedans with impeccable dynamics, the G37 sedan and its tall, narrow stance is just dated and doesn't really compete. Change had to be made. You will all get used to it. This same **** happened on the forums when the second generation of G came out. Everyone was up in arms. Yes its different, but give it a chance. Holy crap. The car has so much more presence in person. It makes a statement, and it looks fantastic IMO. Flows better than the Lexus cars with their overly aggressive front ends and meh side and rear looks. Lets just wait and see how the cars compare when stacked up against as well as first world driving impressions. Let something come out before knocking it..
The following 4 users liked this post by WannabeSport:
Black Betty (05-10-2013), mj_39 (05-10-2013), nisslover (05-11-2013), soundmike (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 07:17 PM
mj_39

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
The G35 wasn't known either when it came out. It is a whole new vehicle and honestly fixed pretty much every error the G had.

I dont know, maybe I just understand this industry and whats going on and why its happening more than others... stricter credentials when building a new car, emissions, etc. Everything plays a roll to make something. And when your running in a fleet of low, wide sports sedans with impeccable dynamics, the G37 sedan and its tall, narrow stance is just dated and doesn't really compete. Change had to be made. You will all get used to it. This same **** happened on the forums when the second generation of G came out. Everyone was up in arms. Yes its different, but give it a chance. Holy crap. The car has so much more presence in person. It makes a statement, and it looks fantastic IMO. Flows better than the Lexus cars with their overly aggressive front ends and meh side and rear looks. Lets just wait and see how the cars compare when stacked up against as well as first world driving impressions. Let something come out before knocking it..
Exactly how I feel! you hit the nail on the head.

A lot of g35 guys still don't like the g37. How do you guys on myg37 feel about that? Now the g37 guys don't like the Q50? You guys see the cycle? Accept change don't knock it, especially when you haven't even SEEN the car in person.

kaoticdemize came in here and was the 1st to give a review on it, instead of thanking him some of you started criticizing his review and nit picking every little thing. The more I read on it seemed like a lot criticism was coming from members who have moved on to other car companys. We can nit pick EVERY car (even your BMWs and Audis). There is no such thing as a PERFECT car.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CROONEY1970
I am on my 3rd G and it may not be my last. You can count me as one less guy who will be buying an unrecognizable Infiniti that belongs in the next transformers movie however. Again......I know who makes the A4 and the 335. Who makes the Q50? What is that??? I'm spending 40k plus on a luxury car no one has ever heard of, and looks like a Hyundai Sonata on steroids.

If I was in the market for a 20k chevy or ford sedan I really wouldn't care if it was a Malibu,cruze, or fusion as long as it looked nice which all those cars do. No one buys those cars so they can feel great owning that specific car. Now a 335,G37,S6....yes, they do buy those for that reason. Chevy and Buick have changed their lineup names so often but it doesn't matter. It seems like Infinti has followed in GM's footsteps and changed it all up, just when people who own their cars could feel proud to drive them. Now that's all erased. Back to square one? A Maxima may be in my future. At least it's fast,reliable, and KNOWN.

You know those cars, but what was an Audi A4 before it was an A4? Wasnt always named that. I get that you don't understand the easy explination of the name change, but it had to happen. they couldn't use the g nomenclature for the future models. And instead of being like mercedes or BMW keeping the number when it no longer represents the engine size, they decided to do a long term route. This nomencalture will last for all the new and upcomming models and engines. How hard is it to underrstand that a G37 would sound better than a G30 even if the G30 is a higher hp better model? This is the issue with the G branding. If you care about people knowing you drive a G then by all means go buy yourself a 328i and enjoy your badge whoring. Why does it matter what the car is called? It's a great car, has great tech, fun to drive, luxurious and is still an Infiniti with Infiniti badging.
The following 5 users liked this post by kaoticdemize:
mj_39 (05-10-2013), nisslover (05-11-2013), soundmike (05-11-2013), WannabeSport (05-10-2013), Wongster (05-11-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM
CROONEY1970

You know those cars, but what was an Audi A4 before it was an A4? Wasnt always named that. I get that you don't understand the easy explination of the name change, but it had to happen. they couldn't use the g nomenclature for the future models. And instead of being like mercedes or BMW keeping the number when it no longer represents the engine size, they decided to do a long term route. This nomencalture will last for all the new and upcomming models and engines. How hard is it to underrstand that a G37 would sound better than a G30 even if the G30 is a higher hp better model? This is the issue with the G branding. If you care about people knowing you drive a G then by all means go buy yourself a 328i and enjoy your badge whoring. Why does it matter what the car is called? It's a great car, has great tech, fun to drive, luxurious and is still an Infiniti with Infiniti badging.
It was an Audi 4000 and 5000 and Audi had no where near the success of the G before they rebadged everything. I don't want a German car, and especially an underpowered 328. If I did I would not be on my 3rd Infiniti. Look man, i understand you trying like hell to sell this thing and thank you for the first hand insight,and NOTHING personal, but that does not change the thoughts im having With the naming. Can you at least tell me what the 50 means? I'm gonna stay in the family but it'll be a Maxima or if my wife and I have no more children, a Z.

You can't just all of a sudden change the entire lineup naming of a luxury brand and have everyone smile. Not meaning to beat on you at all personally
Old 05-10-2013, 08:00 PM
WannabeSport

Yes, because changing cars to a FWD boat due to the naming of another car makes a lot of sense... The Q50 could be called the Hungarian *** Tickler and i'd buy it if it was a good looking, good to drive car. I'd just debadge it. Let alone Q50, which is a fine name IMO.

Tell me what the 4 in audi a4 means. Does it mean it has a 4 liter?

Some people, smh....

PS a 328 is as fast as your G37 yet gets 33mpg. I would hardly call that underpowered.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
It's not just the grille itself. It's the busy, overdone front as a whole. Audi may have a big grille, but overall, it has simple and clean lines. It doesn't look like a transformer.
My thoughts exactly. The front is overly busy, just for the sake of change and doesn't look that good to me. It looks like it was designed by a twelve year old.
The rest of the car looks fine.
My only other complaint is the run flat tires. It would be nice if you had a choice to order with regular tires and a spare.
Tom
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
It was an Audi 4000 and 5000 and Audi had no where near the success of the G before they rebadged everything. I don't want a German car, and especially an underpowered 328. If I did I would not be on my 3rd Infiniti. Look man, i understand you trying like hell to sell this thing and thank you for the first hand insight,and NOTHING personal, but that does not change the thoughts im having With the naming. Can you at least tell me what the 50 means? I'm gonna stay in the family but it'll be a Maxima or if my wife and I have no more children, a Z.

You can't just all of a sudden change the entire lineup naming of a luxury brand and have everyone smile. Not meaning to beat on you at all personally
The 50 is a number to denote the heirchy in the lineup with price point. Infiniti owned Q plus 2 numbers (audi has Q with 1) all other letters with numercis were copyrighted already. Infiniti already owned Q and QX with 2 number so thats how they came up with it. The 50 will be a middle level in the end of all things. So the next car coming is our entry level based on the CLA which will be a Q40, then to a Q30. Then we already have Q60 for coupe/vert, Q70 for the m. And that leaves us with Q80/90, the 90 most likely being something around the GTR. If they could have choses something else that made any remote sense they would have, but they chose the Q as it already had heritage and use withint the product. I was not happy when they announced it at first either, like wtf are they doing, after looking at the future plans they want to take it it started to make sense. And Just so you know I;ve moved on to Porsche so no longer work for Infiniti so not trying to sell the brand haha, but I do believe in it. Not taking it personally either, just trying to shed light. My original comment was towards you saying this car will not sell well. You are going to be dead wrong in that category. The G has already shown that it can at times outsell the 3 series which it has done a couple times. With the Q50 coming up your going to see this thing once it hits full production and offers variants in the power train take off and really hit some numbers.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:19 PM
CROONEY1970

Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Yes, because changing cars to a FWD boat due to the naming of another car makes a lot of sense... The Q50 could be called the Hungarian *** Tickler and i'd buy it if it was a good looking, good to drive car. I'd just debadge it. Let alone Q50, which is a fine name IMO.

Tell me what the 4 in audi a4 means. Does it mean it has a 4 liter?

Some people, smh....

PS a 328 is as fast as your G37 yet gets 33mpg. I would hardly call that underpowered.
It stands for a 4 cylinder. No way is a 328 as fast as any G37 in any condition. Are you serious? The Maxima would accelerate .03 seconds ahead of the 328 0-60,and almost handle as well for 10k less. As for the G37.......

From car and driver 2009

2009 Infiniti G37 Sport

Second place: Conspicuous consumption lite.

In that narrow slice of marketing terrain where sports sedan overlaps muscle car is where you’ll find this mid-size Infiniti. Will it exercise the neck muscles? Have no doubts.

Will it satisfy your need for speed? Oh, yes, in megadoses.

When the votes were tallied, the BMW 328i came out on top again this time but by a very small margin: two points. At the track, the Infiniti shamed the Bimmer in every contest except for skidpad (a tie). In acceleration, the chase wasn’t even close, with the G37 ahead by a half-second at 60 mph—5.4 seconds versus 5.9—and leading by 6 mph at the quarter-mile. The G37’s gap was narrower but still significant in the lane change. In braking, its one-foot-out performance from 70 mph—159 feet versus the BMW’s 160—is almost certainly insignificant, but we’ll call that one for the G on the superior detailing of its calipers, finished in glowing satin metallic etched with a subtle Infiniti logo.

The G37 Sport, designated by a red “S” on the tail—plus a subtly reshaped fascia and sill treatments—gets a six-speed manual, shorter final-drive gearing with a viscous limited slip, quicker steering, and very large brakes: 14.0-inch discs in front, 13.8s in back, all vented. Inside, there’s a highly supportive sport seat with power adjusters to tailor thigh and torso bolsters.

All of our drivers were put off at first by the heavy, abrupt clutch feel, and the shift lever slipped into sixth gear only after a Google search. But by the second day of driving, the complaints were gone. This is a serious machine: planted, professional, poised. The steering always knows how to find straight-ahead, and the effort builds progressively as you turn. Unlike most of the others, the brakes are not overboosted. They have a linear feel, just right for holding the edge of the friction circle as you trail-brake into curves.

The cockpit supports vigorous motoring. There’s a rest for your left foot in exactly the right place. The tilting column moves the instrument cluster so the dials are always centered within the wheel. The buttons and rockers on the wheel are the easiest of all to use. Only the buttons for shuttling through the trip-computer screens are an awkward reach.

There were a few Darth Vader cracks about the all-black interior, but the rice-paper finish of the metal trim contrasts beautifully.

Q50 a good name? Maybe so in 3 years. I may be wrong, but its lame right now.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:28 PM
CROONEY1970

The 50 is a number to denote the heirchy in the lineup with price point. Infiniti owned Q plus 2 numbers (audi has Q with 1) all other letters with numercis were copyrighted already. Infiniti already owned Q and QX with 2 number so thats how they came up with it. The 50 will be a middle level in the end of all things. So the next car coming is our entry level based on the CLA which will be a Q40, then to a Q30. Then we already have Q60 for coupe/vert, Q70 for the m. And that leaves us with Q80/90, the 90 most likely being something around the GTR. If they could have choses something else that made any remote sense they would have, but they chose the Q as it already had heritage and use withint the product. I was not happy when they announced it at first either, like wtf are they doing, after looking at the future plans they want to take it it started to make sense. And Just so you know I;ve moved on to Porsche so no longer work for Infiniti so not trying to sell the brand haha, but I do believe in it. Not taking it personally either, just trying to shed light. My original comment was towards you saying this car will not sell well. You are going to be dead wrong in that category. The G has already shown that it can at times outsell the 3 series which it has done a couple times. With the Q50 coming up your going to see this thing once it hits full production and offers variants in the power train take off and really hit some numbers.
What Porsche did you get? My father being 64 years old just bought his dream car moving from a 2001 boxter to a brand new 2013 boxter s with the PDK transmission. What a car! That tranny is amazing with that engine. Porsche is making some amazing unmatched cars right now for sure!

Thanks again for your insight
Old 05-11-2013, 12:45 AM
WannabeSport

It stands for a 4 cylinder. No way is a 328 as fast as any G37 in any condition. Are you serious? The Maxima would accelerate .03 seconds ahead of the 328 0-60,and almost handle as well for 10k less. As for the G37.......

From car and driver 2009

2009 Infiniti G37 Sport

Second place: Conspicuous consumption lite.

In that narrow slice of marketing terrain where sports sedan overlaps muscle car is where you’ll find this mid-size Infiniti. Will it exercise the neck muscles? Have no doubts.

Will it satisfy your need for speed? Oh, yes, in megadoses.

When the votes were tallied, the BMW 328i came out on top again this time but by a very small margin: two points. At the track, the Infiniti shamed the Bimmer in every contest except for skidpad (a tie). In acceleration, the chase wasn’t even close, with the G37 ahead by a half-second at 60 mph—5.4 seconds versus 5.9—and leading by 6 mph at the quarter-mile. The G37’s gap was narrower but still significant in the lane change. In braking, its one-foot-out performance from 70 mph—159 feet versus the BMW’s 160—is almost certainly insignificant, but we’ll call that one for the G on the superior detailing of its calipers, finished in glowing satin metallic etched with a subtle Infiniti logo.

The G37 Sport, designated by a red “S” on the tail—plus a subtly reshaped fascia and sill treatments—gets a six-speed manual, shorter final-drive gearing with a viscous limited slip, quicker steering, and very large brakes: 14.0-inch discs in front, 13.8s in back, all vented. Inside, there’s a highly supportive sport seat with power adjusters to tailor thigh and torso bolsters.

All of our drivers were put off at first by the heavy, abrupt clutch feel, and the shift lever slipped into sixth gear only after a Google search. But by the second day of driving, the complaints were gone. This is a serious machine: planted, professional, poised. The steering always knows how to find straight-ahead, and the effort builds progressively as you turn. Unlike most of the others, the brakes are not overboosted. They have a linear feel, just right for holding the edge of the friction circle as you trail-brake into curves.

The cockpit supports vigorous motoring. There’s a rest for your left foot in exactly the right place. The tilting column moves the instrument cluster so the dials are always centered within the wheel. The buttons and rockers on the wheel are the easiest of all to use. Only the buttons for shuttling through the trip-computer screens are an awkward reach.

There were a few Darth Vader cracks about the all-black interior, but the rice-paper finish of the metal trim contrasts beautifully.

Q50 a good name? Maybe so in 3 years. I may be wrong, but its lame right now.
Do you even know what 328 I am talking about? Your credibility just went out the window..

Not this old 328.

Maxima is a boat, and does not handle anywhere near a 328, G37 or a Q50. It is a full size sedan with a sporty attitude, but it is not a sports sedan. At the end of the day, it competes with cars along the likes of the Toyota Avalon and Chevy Impala. The fact that you don't even know this shows you have no idea wtf your talking about. No enthusiast driver would ever gladly take an older design Maxima with FWD over the new Q50 or F30 3 series, regardless of wtf the car is called. The fact that you disprove the Q50 purely because its name is 'lame' also shows the maturity level of your purchasing decisions. At that point you may as well buy a V6 Camry. it has a ballsy V6, 4 doors and 4 wheels. Sounds like you aren't an enthusiast any ways. May as well buy an appliance car.
The following 2 users liked this post by WannabeSport:
mj_39 (05-11-2013), soundmike (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 AM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
This thread has fallen off a cliff, landed on another one, and then jumped off of that one!

What I REALLY find funny is everyone saying the G37 styling was fine and just needed to be updated... if THAT would have happened, then the wolf cry would have been, "it looks too much like the old one, its pointless, I may as well keep my G37!"

And it doesn't look like an Infiniti? WHAT!?! So it doesn't look like the JX, which doesn't look like the FX? The styling language is just evolving! The grille is the same besides them pinching the sides of it. They streamlined the headlights and tail lights, made it lower and wider, pulled this and that from the Essence = Q50.

And people CONTINUE to put SO MUCH weight on the stinking name! INFINITI AIN'T GOT NO BRAND RECOGNITION TO BEGIN WITH!!! So it DON'T matter! Seriously, yes the G did have some recognition, but nothing crazy. And I'm sorry, but choosing to not buy a car because of a name change BOGGLES my mind. And now Q50 sounds cheesy... so if this was a true Q45 replacement and it bumped from 4.5l to 5.0l, you're telling me you would complain about Q50 sounds cheesy? No you'd be stoked about the added displacement and power. Nevermind the same crap was said about G37, instead of it being a multiple of 5 like the G35. Whatever, you'll get used to it... if not oh well, you're losing out on what could potentially be a great car. Thats the part that really matters, right? The car. HA! whoda thunk it!?!?!

And the 4 still stands for 4cyl in the 3.0l V6 S4, and the S5 must be a 5cyl...
The following 2 users liked this post by nisslover:
soundmike (05-11-2013), WannabeSport (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 02:15 AM
WannabeSport

^The Audi Q7 has a 7 cylinder as well. Duh.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q50 Review