G37 Sedan

2014 Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
Keep in mind that Infiniti does not care what any of us thinks.. They want to sell cars.. they want to sell more Q50's than they sold G37's... Infiniti thinks the new design will sell better.. I tend to agree..Time will tell.

I disagree Infiniti does care what we think but as a whole not individually. And yes the end result is just to sell cars. If they thought styling the car after a mustang would double their numbers they would do it.

I am thinking there are lots of 3rd party's already working up some aftermarket grilles for the Q50.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I remember when Audi went to their large single frame grille.. all the Audi forums were in an uproar, and half the moto scribes were ragging it.. seems to have turned out OK for Audi.. I think the new Q50 grille all black will look just fine..
Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
I remember when Audi went to their large single frame grille.. all the Audi forums were in an uproar, and half the moto scribes were ragging it.. seems to have turned out OK for Audi.. I think the new Q50 grille all black will look just fine..
It's not just the grille itself. It's the busy, overdone front as a whole. Audi may have a big grille, but overall, it has simple and clean lines. It doesn't look like a transformer.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
It's not just the grille itself. It's the busy, overdone front as a whole. Audi may have a big grille, but overall, it has simple and clean lines. It doesn't look like a transformer.
This^, Audi does have the bold grill but much simpler lines, might be a bit more boring but doesn't scream at you. Even the first Audis w/ the large grill face still look nice & their overall design flows in a classy way IMO.

I think Infiniti could have accomplished much the same w/ a scaled down front end, the rest of the Q has very nice lines IMO. The side profile is exceptionally well done (w/ the exception of the silly 3.7 that is)
Old 05-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Nissan has only just scratched the surface of where they want to go with gaudy, over-the-top front grilles:

LA 2010: Nissan Ellure Concept Photo Gallery - Autoblog
Old 05-10-2013, 02:25 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One would wonder why Infiniti and Nissan designs look similar.

Infiniti's new Design Director is American Alfonso Albaisa
Old 05-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What made the 1st gen G37 successful was the original look. It looked like no other car out there and people like originality in the look of thier car. And no matter what some will say, looks are the most important thing by far for Joe Customer when shopping. Everybody wants something nice to look at in the driveway and want thier neighbours to also see it.

To the average customer most cars are similar enough in the specs be it the entry level luxury or family sedans so the big variable is looks. 98% of people aren't going to taking a G37 to the track just like 98% of people don't off road thier shiny new SUV so they could care less what the lateral G force or quarter mile time the Q50 will post and whether it's better than the 3 series by a fraction.

And in this regard I think Infiniti dropped the ball with thier new design. The German cars still look like German cars and that's brand recognition that people want. The Q50 doesn't have that brand recognition any longer. It's lost in the sea of creases and lines and huge grills when they already had thier signature look and you lose customer loyalty that way. People want others to know they have an Infiniti not a done up Hyundai or Lexus which it will be confused with often. Why did the TL tank in sales? Plain and simple because it's ugly and generic looking. I've driven that car and it's nice car to drive with a great interior but that matters little to people who will spend 40K+. They want the original look that comes with that status of a luxury car.

The car will still sell pretty well but it would have sold so much better if the new styling was an evolution of that classic Infiniti look rather than a complete transformation that is unrecognizable. You could always say Infiniti needed a new engine or tranny but I had never heard the word "ugly" with the G37 and that the styling needed to be overhauled. Hard to believe that in any market research Infiniti did that people thought thier biggest selling sedan needed a new look because the current one looked dull.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:46 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CROONEY1970
It won't.

you sir are a moron
Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Nissan has only just scratched the surface of where they want to go with gaudy, over-the-top front grilles:

LA 2010: Nissan Ellure Concept Photo Gallery - Autoblog
Yikes, this seems to be an unstoppable trend, like the Kardouchians & Justin Beiber

Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
What made the 1st gen G37 successful was the original look. It looked like no other car out there and people like originality in the look of thier car. And no matter what some will say, looks are the most important thing by far for Joe Customer when shopping. Everybody wants something nice to look at in the driveway and want thier neighbours to also see it.

To the average customer most cars are similar enough in the specs be it the entry level luxury or family sedans so the big variable is looks. 98% of people aren't going to taking a G37 to the track just like 98% of people don't off road thier shiny new SUV so they could care less what the lateral G force or quarter mile time the Q50 will post and whether it's better than the 3 series by a fraction.

And in this regard I think Infiniti dropped the ball with thier new design. The German cars still look like German cars and that's brand recognition that people want. The Q50 doesn't have that brand recognition any longer. It's lost in the sea of creases and lines and huge grills when they already had thier signature look and you lose customer loyalty that way. People want others to know they have an Infiniti not a done up Hyundai or Lexus which it will be confused with often. Why did the TL tank in sales? Plain and simple because it's ugly and generic looking. I've driven that car and it's nice car to drive with a great interior but that matters little to people who will spend 40K+. They want the original look that comes with that status of a luxury car.

The car will still sell pretty well but it would have sold so much better if the new styling was an evolution of that classic Infiniti look rather than a complete transformation that is unrecognizable. You could always say Infiniti needed a new engine or tranny but I had never heard the word "ugly" with the G37 and that the styling needed to be overhauled. Hard to believe that in any market research Infiniti did that people thought thier biggest selling sedan needed a new look because the current one looked dull.
I think you summed it up real well there Dan.

Believe me, I not wishing Infiniti ill will w/ the new Q, I just wish they'd have kept more of the classy, subtle lines. If you look back at cars that still look good today not many have busy & conflicting styling. I really am looking forward to seeing this up close & personal, my perceptions may change, but I have my doubts.

Last edited by blnewt; 05-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Yikes, this seems to be an unstoppable trend, like the Kardouchians & Justin Beiber

I think you summed it up real well there Dan.

Believe me, I not wishing Infiniti ill will w/ the new Q, I just wish they'd have kept more of the classy, subtle lines. If you look back at cars that still look good today not many have busy & conflicting styling. I really am looking forward to seeing this up close & personal, my perceptions may change, but I have my doubts.
I've only seen it on display at the auto show but really not that impressed. The side profile is nice but the back and front....just meh. I think the front end suffers more and out of proportion with that sport front fascia (and looks really awkward from certain angles) they mostly showed in pictures and the auto show so hopefully it looks a little more classy with the more understated one on the base models. But these loud and huge honeycomb grills in style now are gonna look so tacky in a few years much like those all silver taillights from a few years ago.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 05-10-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:57 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan

Well said. The Q looks nothing like the G, or any other Infiniti. You can always tell an Audi is an Audi, or a BMW is a BMW. Same with Mercedes. The brand recognition is there with their signature styling, which they improve on over the years. They don't create a whole new car that looks nothing like the previous by mish mashing different designs.

If you recall Hyundai's beginning, and up until the last few years, they had a real identity crisis. Quality aside, their cars never used to look like any of their own designs. And each model would look completely different from the last. They also came up with completely new cars with new names, which looks nothing like any Hyundai in the past. QX300 or whatever it was called. What was that thing? Their attempt to sound like a BMW or Mercedes?

Last edited by sniper27; 05-10-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 PM
kaoticdemize

^^ true, but Infiniti is going a different route, this will be the beginning of their new era.

but the line of the look didnt need to be overhauled, if you look through the forum you will see many people complaining about the dated look of a 6 year old body. So it is kind of contradicting now that people are saying they wish they kept the look. The Q50 still looks Infiniti, just not exactly a G, but guess what, it's not a G See it in person before you judge it.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 PM
sniper27

Agree on the point that the body is 6 yrs old and needs to be updated. Updated, being the key word, on the current style. To me, this seem to be a completely different car. And as you stated, they are taking a different route and beginning a new era. I just hope it works without loosing too much brand recognition, being it's no longer a G.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:26 PM
kaoticdemize

I really don't think it will lose brand recognition. Not sure if you noticed but advertisement is being ramped up for the brand, plus some new cars coming that are completely new. Take the JX for example. Whole new route of design (where the q50 seems to get some hints from) brand new market, new everything really and it has done extremely well, #2 selling car for Infiniti and for many months outselling some competitors. Johan knows what he is doing, look at Audi now from before he took that over. If he does anything similar with Infiniti it will be good times. Look ahead to some really interesting products!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Believe me, I not wishing Infiniti ill will w/ the new Q, I just wish they'd have kept more of the classy, subtle lines.
Subtlety is so last decade.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q50 Review