G37 Sedan

2014 Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:51 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
This thing is beautiful in person. I couldn't get any really good pics because everyone was all over it, but wow. It really needs to be seen in the real world to be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I prefer the current G37 styling because it looks like an Infiniti and one thing about the G37 was it could not be mistaken for any other car out there since it's inception. I had expected a modern revision of the classic front and back end but the Q50 has none of that. It looks like a mix of every other car out there right now. There's no distinguishing characteristic or identity to it now. I really think the Q50 styling will get dated quickly as these hard lines become passe in a few years. They made it too busy looking, too much going on almost everywhere.

Like someone said, they went the Acura route, instead of expanding on a a beautiful looking car like the TL was they went in a totally different direction and made it look souless. Infiniti should have followed the Audi/BMW route and just modernized the classic look of the G37 instead trying to make it look trendy. I think the current G37 will look even better when the Q50 is out for a couple of years and people will still consider it better looking just like the 1st Gen coupe is still considered a better looking car than the current Gen coupe which looks a little effeminate in comparison to the lines of the 1st Gen.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
I prefer the current G37 styling because it looks like an Infiniti and one thing about the G37 was it could not be mistaken for any other car out there since it's inception. I had expected a modern revision of the classic front and back end but the Q50 has none of that. It looks like a mix of every other car out there right now. There's no distinguishing characteristic or identity to it now. I really think the Q50 styling will get dated quickly as these hard lines become passe in a few years. They made it too busy looking, too much going on almost everywhere.

Like someone said, they went the Acura route, instead of expanding on a a beautiful looking car like the TL was they went in a totally different direction and made it look souless. Infiniti should have followed the Audi/BMW route and just modernized the classic look of the G37 instead trying to make it look trendy. I think the current G37 will look even better when the Q50 is out for a couple of years and people will still consider it better looking just like the 1st Gen coupe is still considered a better looking car than the current Gen coupe which looks a little effeminate in comparison to the lines of the 1st Gen.
Well said^^ Those 1st gen coupes (and the 2nd gen sedans) have styling that stands the test of time (IMO)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Well said^^ Those 1st gen coupes (and the 2nd gen sedans) have styling that stands the test of time (IMO)
I see a well maintained 1st Gen coupe on the road and still say to myself "wow that car still looks hot". It's one of those rare mainstream cars that will always look stylish. If they instituted some of these hard lines that's the trend these days into the current G37 styling, the car could have been breathtaking. Instead we get the Q50 "look at me" styling that has nothing to it that indicates it's an Infiniti. There's nothing original about it. It's a mish mash of overstyling that tends to get dated very quickly. I fear at how the Q60 is going to look because it will probably even be louder than the Q50 and share more styling cues with a Mitsubishi than an Infiniti.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:10 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
I see a well maintained 1st Gen coupe on the road and still say to myself "wow that car still looks hot". It's one of those rare mainstream cars that will always look stylish. If they instituted some of these hard lines that's the trend these days into the current G37 styling, the car could have been breathtaking. Instead we get the Q50 "look at me" styling that has nothing to it that indicates it's an Infiniti. There's nothing original about it. It's a mish mash of overstyling that tends to get dated very quickly. I fear at how the Q60 is going to look because it will probably even be louder than the Q50 and share more styling cues with a Mitsubishi than an Infiniti.
Agreed. But don't you dare say it looks like a Le*** or a Hyu***, or else you will get stoned by the loyalists...or better yet, threatened to get banned by the "staff".

While I think they should have improved on the current design instead of inventing a whole new car, I suppose it goes well with the new name change. New name, whole new car. New beginning with a new CEO.

Last edited by sniper27; 05-09-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Mike@Vossen
SUPPORT AUTHENTICITY!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
I agree with dropping the engine size. I think they should drop ALL numerics, but then that wouldn't allow them to use the "goodwill" built by Q. My thing is, if Q was such a big deal, why did they stop producing the actual Q?
)
Even more confusing is this 3.7 badge on the front fender I really don't follow the name change to not use engine size to describe the car but here is a big 3.7 on the side of the car.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:28 AM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Its amazing how opinions differ... I think the Q50 is a rather simple design and looks A LOT like the Essence concept... which I thought was universally loved. But ehh, I think its a rather clean design that will be timeless just as the current G37. I'll admit I like the G35 coupe more than the G37 coupe at times. It was just that good. I def think it is the Acura Legend of its day.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Even more confusing is this 3.7 badge on the front fender I really don't follow the name change to not use engine size to describe the car but here is a big 3.7 on the side of the car.
Yep. Advertising the engine displacement is always a tacky move... unless it's something outrageous like a big-block V8, in which case it's already over the top, so might as well brag about it.

But a little bitty 3.7 Liter V6? On an entry-level luxury Sedan? Whoopdeedoo.

If I had one, that fender badge would be gone in a heartbeat.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by nisslover
Its amazing how opinions differ... I think the Q50 is a rather simple design and looks A LOT like the Essence concept... which I thought was universally loved. But ehh, I think its a rather clean design that will be timeless just as the current G37. I'll admit I like the G35 coupe more than the G37 coupe at times. It was just that good. I def think it is the Acura Legend of its day.
Like I mentioned earlier, I like a lot of what they've done w/ the Q, but the front end just has too much going on, takes away form the more subtle design cues from the sides & rear.
Good point about the Legend, still looks nice when I see one on the road, even the Integras have a look that's stood well over time.
Like Sniper mentioned, a new CEO with a new car lineup (at least new car nomenclature), probably felt the need to be more dramatic. BUT IMO all these busy front end treatments are starting to blend together, and not in a good way

Old 05-10-2013, 09:15 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen

Good catch! Guess the big engine is still a selling point that they want you to know about, but do not want you to pay attention when they sneak a small 4 banger inside of it later because all of them are called Q50. Probably making more sense just slapping on something in the back like Q50 3.7 and Q50 2.0T.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Launch party tonight from 5-10PM. There is a Q50S AWD at my local dealer. Will be there later on to see it.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Like I mentioned earlier, I like a lot of what they've done w/ the Q, but the front end just has too much going on, takes away form the more subtle design cues from the sides & rear.
Good point about the Legend, still looks nice when I see one on the road, even the Integras have a look that's stood well over time.
Like Sniper mentioned, a new CEO with a new car lineup (at least new car nomenclature), probably felt the need to be more dramatic. BUT IMO all these busy front end treatments are starting to blend together, and not in a good way

Just realized now the Q50 name not only sound cheesy, it looks cheesy as well.
what is Infiniti thinking on that Q50 logo with that cheesy font?

I know it's the font they've been using since Q45 but that's one ugly font.
and the metallic effect on the logo. come on it's not 2008 anymore.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:02 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep in mind that Infiniti does not care what any of us thinks.. They want to sell cars.. they want to sell more Q50's than they sold G37's... Infiniti thinks the new design will sell better.. I tend to agree..Time will tell.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:03 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Gawd, that IS is hideous. I almost feel the Asian brands (not just Infiniti) are trying too hard now. It's a race to see who can be the "loudest" and most flashy. Like someone mentioned earlier, way too many creases and curves.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:23 PM
CROONEY1970

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
Keep in mind that Infiniti does not care what any of us thinks.. They want to sell cars.. they want to sell more Q50's than they sold G37's... Infiniti thinks the new design will sell better.. I tend to agree..Time will tell.
It won't.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q50 Review