G37 Sedan

2014 Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I'm liking most of what they've done w/ the styling but agree about the unusually busy front end treatment. This isn't something Infiniti is known for but seems to be the hot styling trend right now. Every popular car make seems to be going for more curves, bigger grills, lots of extra fins, gills, whatever you want to call it. Too many conflicting curves, swoops, buldges, etc. I initially liked the current M when I saw it in ads but the proportions and the bulbous front end just didn't flow like I thought it would. Hopefully the G in person will have a bit more cohesion and I'm sure it'll grow on me, time will tell.
With technology and auto design being taken to new levels of complexity, the days of a simpler, flowing design is probably a thing of the past, but may be missed by a good many of us
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I'm liking most of what they've done w/ the styling but agree about the unusually busy front end treatment. This isn't something Infiniti is known for but seems to be the hot styling trend right now. Every popular car make seems to be going for more curves, bigger grills, lots of extra fins, gills, whatever you want to call it. Too many conflicting curves, swoops, buldges, etc. I initially liked the current M when I saw it in ads but the proportions and the bulbous front end just didn't flow like I thought it would. Hopefully the G in person will have a bit more cohesion and I'm sure it'll grow on me, time will tell.
With technology and auto design being taken to new levels of complexity, the days of a simpler, flowing design is probably a thing of the past, but may be missed by a good many of us
Agreed. I, for one, prefer the minimalist and subtle design. A car doesn't need to be "loud" to attract attention. Hence, I always preferred Audi over BMW. Even Mercedes is borderline screaming, "look at me" like BMWs. IMO, Audi has always been subtle and classy without being too "loud". The current G and last gen M shared that aspect IMO, which is what attracted me to the car at first. Some may called this subtle styling bland.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I think BMW is the most sublte car styling brand out there in this class... Audi is the one that started the big grills thing...

I don't mind where car styling is going. I like seeing cars having more tech, better dynamics, and becoming much more efficient. To me, that is cool. Much cooler than our Gs that drink gas like a full size pickup if you just drive around town. I drive first gen G35s around occasionally (a few friends have them) and they really don't make me feel like going back to that..
Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I think you are in denial of why Lexus is a top brand. The IS250 was clearly not marketed toward you(maybe you are not the target market for any Lexus product, but that is another story), but it's a very nice and reliable vehicle as my friend has one.
Read beyond the constraints. That was merely an example. Replace Lexus and model name with any other you can think of. The point is there.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:24 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Read beyond the constraints. That was merely an example. Replace Lexus and model name with any other you can think of. The point is there.
I'm not actually sure what your point was, hence my response.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
My dealer just got one. Going to check it out tonight.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM
muyrec
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Diego@Vossen
My dealer just got one. Going to check it out tonight.
South motors infiniti right? I received a paper talking about the launch event on may 10th. wish i can go but work is in the way. take lots of pictures!
<style type="text/css"> img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;} </style>
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Going to a reveal party here in Chicago. I'll take pics and stuff.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Preludator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CROONEY1970
The front end looks like its going to morph into a Transformer. A little too much going on there for me. It's not as bad as Acura's screw up of the TL a few years ago however.

Acura is history....
Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Q50 Launch Party is at Infiniti tomorrow. 2 blocks from Vossen Can't wait.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Exactly what Acura did to the TL. They tried way too hard and that thing turned out to be a disaster. I am also not crazy at all about having LEDs in my headlights. I am actually glad my car didn't come with any.

I like the styling of my 2010 sport sedan. Some say it's outdated, lacking LED lights etc, but it's exactly to my liking. Simple, subtle but it looks nice and classy.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by antirice
Exactly what Acura did to the TL. They tried way too hard and that thing turned out to be a disaster. I am also not crazy at all about having LEDs in my headlights. I am actually glad my car didn't come with any.

I like the styling of my 2010 sport sedan. Some say it's outdated, lacking LED lights etc, but it's exactly to my liking. Simple, subtle but it looks nice and classy.
Yep, maybe because I'm in the 50+ crowd that I'm not really liking all the flashiest designs coming out, especially from Japan & Korea. The German, English, & even American makes seem to be staying along simpler lines. The latest Jaguar Coupe for example is a beautiful looking design, not at all over-the top, just nice classy lines, same can be said for Aston Martin and most Audi & BMW models.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
The German, English, & even American makes seem to be staying along simpler lines.
While Chrysler hasn't got that memo yet, GM and Ford seem to be in line with this thinking. The new Impala has very appealing lines (IMO). And just today I found myself appreciating most every design square inch of a 2013 Ford Fusion parked next to me at a light. Gorgeous car, (IMO).

Clean, artistic lines is why I like my 2011 G37. My personal jury is still out on the Q50, pending hands-on review. So far, I'm still just digesting online reviews and photos, and not entirely coming out on the favorable end of that.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:59 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
And just today I found myself appreciating most every design square inch of a 2013 Ford Fusion parked next to me at a light. Gorgeous car, (IMO).
Loved the Fusion design before it was launched. I remember the first time I saw a picture of the Fusion, I recall saying to myself, "wow, look at that new Aston Martin". I had to take a second look to see it was a Ford.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Yep, maybe because I'm in the 50+ crowd that I'm not really liking all the flashiest designs coming out, especially from Japan & Korea. The German, English, & even American makes seem to be staying along simpler lines. The latest Jaguar Coupe for example is a beautiful looking design, not at all over-the top, just nice classy lines, same can be said for Aston Martin and most Audi & BMW models.
I always thought Japanese design, especially Honda, looked like a direct ripoff of German designs.
Anytime BMW updates their 3 series, the Honda Accord looks very similar within a few months. As for Korean Hyundai all their models look like a mish mash of BMW, Mercedes, Aston, and Maserati even the logo on one of their cars looks like Aston Martin.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q50 Review