Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Something interesting I noticed on the Q45 wiki page:

The platform code for 1st gen Q was G50
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 AM
CROONEY1970

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Inflation, and all the other improvements on the car that often seems to be overlooked. A car is more than just its engine and transmission.

It's certainly not their best shot, nothing is for any manufacturer. If they throw in everything and the kitchen sink at launch, we end up with a car that costs more than anyone is even willing to look at, and it'll only go up from there as mid-cycle updates are introduced. It's all about compromises and what the majority is looking for. G owners who visit the forums is not the majority.

This has been discussed thoroughly in a different thread. But to chime in on this.

• The Q45 was the flagship for Infiniti
  • The G(20) was far from it
  • When the G35 came out, many complained about the naming of the Skyline to G35. There are also those that had a sour taste in their mouth coming from G20s.
  • Infiniti made the car good, but they never made a big deal about the G, TBQH. It was marketed just like any other vehicle.
  • It's about the brand name "Lexus? Yes! Toyota? Umm.." Many buy an IS(250) because it's a Lexus, not because it's an IS of any flavor. Same with BMW's bread and butter 3(28/25).
  • Even BMW's no longer follow the numbering for engine sizes. Close on some, but no dice.
  • Ultimately, a uniform naming system needs to be introduced, one that's flexible in the long run and won't affect public opinion too much. If they stuck with G and introduced a 3L hybrid engine and sold it as G30h, even if it performed better than the G37, many will choose the 37 for the mere +7 alone. A 2L turbo? Do they go back to G20? The Q makes a lot of sense from a marketing and positioning standpoint.

Sadly enough, a lot of us G owners in the forums is a small minority of total G owners and don't feel as strongly as the masses.
If BMW or Lexus changed their whole badging lineup at once, it would not matter. They are so well established luxury brands. Infiniti not as much, and doing this leaves one to think "Gimmicky" if there is such a word. A4,G35/37, M3,370Z, and S4 all roll off the tounge meaning luxury sports sedan/coupe. Anything Q rolls off as a big SUV. Just sayin..........should have used G for all cars and Q for all their SUV's. Audi does this.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Kind of makes you wonder why they haven't cut their losses; sold their POS, and moved on to the superior machine, doesn't it? If I felt as negative about my car as some people seem to that's what I'd do.
Being in the financial analysis field, you consider the "losses" before acting out on your feelings. That's why I choose to keep the POS instead of recognizing the loss and park it next to the Audi. Then I decide which car to drive after I check the traffic conditions on where I'm going.

Last edited by sniper27; 05-08-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Kind of makes you wonder why they haven't cut their losses; sold their POS, and moved on to the superior machine, doesn't it? If I felt as negative about my car as some people seem to that's what I'd do.
Maybe it was the only decent coupe for low 40's ppl used as a DD. Not many options in the 43k and under range. Ive owned 4 G coupes because it was the best bang for the buck at the time. The Infiniti is my luxury car on a budget, I'm sure this is the case with most Infiniti owners. They want a step up from the norm but aren't ready to pay luxury car prices.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM
baksdak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody think that they might want to get rid of the G nameplate BECAUSE of the preconceived notions and past thoughts/reviews attached to that name?

From what we have seen/heard from the people that have driven it, the car seems to be quite a step up in refinement/packaging/quality. This has been the main criticism with the G line. Disregard the fact that it is the same motor/tranny. You can do some amazing things with the latest technology to improve NVH of an existing drivetrain. Add to that software changes to the tranny, and it could feel like a completely different car (like some that have driven it have tried to explain).

Also, to me according to the pictures, the interior looks like a huge leap up in terms of luxury.

Finally, as someone stated earlier, this forum represents a fraction of G owners. This fraction tends to place performance over everything else. However, this class of car is moving away from being so performance oriented (see 3 series) and "raw".

Just my humble opinion from what I have read/seen. Who knows, once I drive the car I could have completely different thoughts.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:24 PM
QFiddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From everything I've read, the change is to simplify the naming conventions for international customers where Infiniti isn't a well established brand. By following the same small to large number nomenclature it's easier to compare the cars to BMW, AUDI, etc for someone who's new to the brand. Since the new head hombre is formerly an Audi guy, it's not surprising.

However, Mercedes uses a alpha/numeric scheme similar to the current Infiniti line-up and they aren't changing things anytime soon, but then again, they are a little bit older and more well established than Infiniti (just a tad).

Personally, I'm just upset that I won't be able to identify the engine size from the numbers, but I guess that doesn't matter for a lot of folks.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by QFiddy
.....Personally, I'm just upset that I won't be able to identify the engine size from the numbers, but I guess that doesn't matter for a lot of folks.
Simple solution: we just need a 5, 6 and 7 liter engine

Super Q, Super Duper Q and Super Duper DUPER Q
Old 05-08-2013, 03:20 PM
CROONEY1970

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can Infiniti recreate the Audi miracle? - Fortune Features
Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by CROONEY1970
If BMW or Lexus changed their whole badging lineup at once, it would not matter. They are so well established luxury brands. Infiniti not as much, and doing this leaves one to think "Gimmicky" if there is such a word. A4,G35/37, M3,370Z, and S4 all roll off the tounge meaning luxury sports sedan/coupe. Anything Q rolls off as a big SUV. Just sayin..........should have used G for all cars and Q for all their SUV's. Audi does this.
Actually, for BMW and Lexus it would matter a lot. They've invested much more into their current brand than Infiniti ever has. In the land of luxury brands, Infiniti is barely out of infancy.

Infiniti will eventually run into naming issues, in fact they already have internationally, now is as best time as ever to change it to a more flexible one.

Now whether Qxn is a good idea or not, only they know. I'm sure they've done their homework on it.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Actually, for BMW and Lexus it would matter a lot. They've invested much more into their current brand than Infiniti ever has. In the land of luxury brands, Infiniti is barely out of infancy.

Infiniti will eventually run into naming issues, in fact they already have internationally, now is as best time as ever to change it to a more flexible one.

Now whether Qxn is a good idea or not, only they know. I'm sure they've done their homework on it.
What gibberish are you espousing Mike? There's no way that highly paid and experienced marketing and branding professionals who spent a lot of time working on this nomenclature scheme could know more than dudes on a car forum? That's just silly.

But then again, the BCS did hire a marketing firm to come up with the name "College Football Playoff".
The following 3 users liked this post by Black Betty:
kaoticdemize (05-10-2013), mj_39 (05-08-2013), soundmike (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Of course not. That's why dudes on car forums mod their cars. Because highly skilled and paid engineers can't possibly know more.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I'm pretty confident that in most cases the engineers know more than I do. They're just working with a ton of constraints that I'm not.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
They are probably waiting for their lease to end.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Inflation, and all the other improvements on the car that often seems to be overlooked. A car is more than just its engine and transmission.

It's certainly not their best shot, nothing is for any manufacturer. If they throw in everything and the kitchen sink at launch, we end up with a car that costs more than anyone is even willing to look at, and it'll only go up from there as mid-cycle updates are introduced. It's all about compromises and what the majority is looking for. G owners who visit the forums is not the majority.

This has been discussed thoroughly in a different thread. But to chime in on this.

• The Q45 was the flagship for Infiniti
  • The G(20) was far from it
  • When the G35 came out, many complained about the naming of the Skyline to G35. There are also those that had a sour taste in their mouth coming from G20s.
  • Infiniti made the car good, but they never made a big deal about the G, TBQH. It was marketed just like any other vehicle.
  • It's about the brand name "Lexus? Yes! Toyota? Umm.." Many buy an IS(250) because it's a Lexus, not because it's an IS of any flavor. Same with BMW's bread and butter 3(28/25).
  • Even BMW's no longer follow the numbering for engine sizes. Close on some, but no dice.
  • Ultimately, a uniform naming system needs to be introduced, one that's flexible in the long run and won't affect public opinion too much. If they stuck with G and introduced a 3L hybrid engine and sold it as G30h, even if it performed better than the G37, many will choose the 37 for the mere +7 alone. A 2L turbo? Do they go back to G20? The Q makes a lot of sense from a marketing and positioning standpoint.

Sadly enough, a lot of us G owners in the forums is a small minority of total G owners and don't feel as strongly as the masses.
I think you are in denial of why Lexus is a top brand. The IS250 was clearly not marketed toward you(maybe you are not the target market for any Lexus product, but that is another story), but it's a very nice and reliable vehicle as my friend has one.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Wongster
They are probably waiting for their lease to end.
You make a very good point. I forget how many people lease. It's not so bad for them because they'll be out of it and into something else pretty soon.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q50 Review