G37 Sedan

2014 Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Skyline33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really trying to like it but it still looks like crap compared to the r34 or r32 sedan.
And the fact that they didn't introduce the vq30vdt totally kills it for me. The G's/Q's maybe decent cars but they are horrible Skyline's, no wonder they are so hated in Japan.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 PM
baksdak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CROONEY1970
IMO it's because the IS has been around for over 10 years. "What is a Q50" everyone is probably asking. Seriously, why would they shelve the "G"?????????
This could turn out to be one of dumbest moves a car company has done in North America to get rid of the car that made the Infiniti brand successful over here. The new Infiniti CEO from Audi is taking a big risk. One I personally really can't stand. Oh we'll, I love Infiniti and my "G".
I dont think it has anything to do with that. The Lexus is being released before the Infiniti and Lexus also had their press day a long time ago...even before the whole car was revealed. Thus why all the Lexus reviews are already out.

Not sure if Infiniti has had the press drive the cars yet or not, but if they have they are not yet allowed to release yet (under an NDA etc). IMO, they should hurry up and get them out there!!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 PM
CROONEY1970

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by baksdak
I dont think it has anything to do with that. The Lexus is being released before the Infiniti and Lexus also had their press day a long time ago...even before the whole car was revealed. Thus why all the Lexus reviews are already out.

Not sure if Infiniti has had the press drive the cars yet or not, but if they have they are not yet allowed to release yet (under an NDA etc). IMO, they should hurry up and get them out there!!
They should have just kept the "G" Seriously.........wtf is with the "Q"?? Sounds like a mystery novel, not a performance car. Wake up guys! Stop kidding your selves.

Last edited by CROONEY1970; 05-07-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:28 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The styling is starting to grow on me now. I may not rush out to get one the day it is released but its not ugly or what were they thinking.
For those that cant stand the bubble effect, I think the fake leather may also be good. I had Leatherette in a C300 and it was not bad, no wear, no sagging very taut, and stayed cleaner.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
^Sir, maybe you should do a little background research on exactly why they changed the names and the direction infiniti is going before spouting off like you understand the industry and the company.

Heres a good video that you can begin your conquest for information with:

PS: Bring on fake leather. This 'real' leather in the infinitis' ages like crap.
The following users liked this post:
nisslover (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
PS: Bring on fake leather. This 'real' leather in the infinitis' ages like crap.
there's always the option of using better quality leather/foam. just sayin...
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Then the cost goes up and everyone bitches about how much more expensive it is over the previous gen with the ****ty leather. It is a never ending battle and people are always going to bitch about something whenever something 'new' comes out and they aren't used to it or have any experience with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by WannabeSport:
Black Betty (05-08-2013), kaoticdemize (05-10-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
The price of the car already increased. The quality of materials should increase as well not decrease. Same drivetrain, lesser quality seats, non cooling, no 6mt. This is their all new car and this is their best shot?
I hope it doesn't have the same easily fading scratched up plastic in the interior and fading steering wheel.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Then the cost goes up and everyone bitches about how much more expensive it is over the previous gen with the ****ty leather. It is a never ending battle and people are always going to bitch about something whenever something 'new' comes out and they aren't used to it or have any experience with it.
Kind of makes you wonder why they haven't cut their losses; sold their POS, and moved on to the superior machine, doesn't it? If I felt as negative about my car as some people seem to that's what I'd do.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 AM
CROONEY1970

^Sir, maybe you should do a little background research on exactly why they changed the names and the direction infiniti is going before spouting off like you understand the industry and the company.

Heres a good video that you can begin your conquest for information with:
Johan De Nysschen Talks Sebastian Vettel and the Future of Infiniti - Wide Open Throttle Episode 60 - YouTube

Sure, all makes sense except for the name change. Has Lexus ever changed the names on their entire lineup? Talk about confusing

Infiniti chief explains new naming scheme; reveals new 550-horsepower flagship sedan | Digital Trends
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I read another article that quoted higher ups as saying "Infiniti OWNS Q" since the Q45 was such a "high end" car.

Personally I dont think that forces you to change EVERY car to Q. The G was responsible for up to 60% of their sales in at least one of the past few years....where was the Q then? Why not rename everything to G, which is what everyone knows/sees?

I agree with dropping the numbers out....but I dont see why you rename every car to Q-something. (and to the point of dropping the numbers, how long is it gonna take people to realize a Q70 doesnt have a 7.0L engine?)

They've built the G into a pretty big deal, the M not so much but its been out there long enough that people know it. And of course the actual Q which they dont even make anymore.

I think it would have been cool to just have a G or M badge on the current vehicles. Marketing would have sounded cooler too, I think....commercials that just say Infiniti M or Infiniti G. But thats just me, and they didnt ask me what I thought anyway
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Ryus
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti is not showing their complete hand with the Q50 IMO. I believe more will be revealed when they finally announce the Q60 (G coupe). When that time comes the Q60 coupe most likely will have a 6mt option and in that year it may be offered to the Q50 sedan. Who knows, they may even roll out different engine packages as in 4 cyl turbos.

The complete lineup has not been revealed yet. When BMW releases their new 3 series, its the sedan first, then the coupe, then the M version.

Last edited by Ryus; 05-08-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 AM
CROONEY1970

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
I read another article that quoted higher ups as saying "Infiniti OWNS Q" since the Q45 was such a "high end" car.

Personally I dont think that forces you to change EVERY car to Q. The G was responsible for up to 60% of their sales in at least one of the past few years....where was the Q then? Why not rename everything to G, which is what everyone knows/sees?

I agree with dropping the numbers out....but I dont see why you rename every car to Q-something. (and to the point of dropping the numbers, how long is it gonna take people to realize a Q70 doesnt have a 7.0L engine?)

They've built the G into a pretty big deal, the M not so much but its been out there long enough that people know it. And of course the actual Q which they dont even make anymore.

I think it would have been cool to just have a G or M badge on the current vehicles. Marketing would have sounded cooler too, I think....commercials that just say Infiniti M or Infiniti G. But thats just me, and they didnt ask me what I thought anyway
Great post! I think a lot of us especially G owners feel as you do.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by RYs06MT
The price of the car already increased. The quality of materials should increase as well not decrease. Same drivetrain, lesser quality seats, non cooling, no 6mt. This is their all new car and this is their best shot?
Inflation, and all the other improvements on the car that often seems to be overlooked. A car is more than just its engine and transmission.

It's certainly not their best shot, nothing is for any manufacturer. If they throw in everything and the kitchen sink at launch, we end up with a car that costs more than anyone is even willing to look at, and it'll only go up from there as mid-cycle updates are introduced. It's all about compromises and what the majority is looking for. G owners who visit the forums is not the majority.

Originally Posted by Chris11LE

This has been discussed thoroughly in a different thread. But to chime in on this.

• The Q45 was the flagship for Infiniti
  • The G(20) was far from it
  • When the G35 came out, many complained about the naming of the Skyline to G35. There are also those that had a sour taste in their mouth coming from G20s.
  • Infiniti made the car good, but they never made a big deal about the G, TBQH. It was marketed just like any other vehicle.
  • It's about the brand name "Lexus? Yes! Toyota? Umm.." Many buy an IS(250) because it's a Lexus, not because it's an IS of any flavor. Same with BMW's bread and butter 3(28/25).
  • Even BMW's no longer follow the numbering for engine sizes. Close on some, but no dice.
  • Ultimately, a uniform naming system needs to be introduced, one that's flexible in the long run and won't affect public opinion too much. If they stuck with G and introduced a 3L hybrid engine and sold it as G30h, even if it performed better than the G37, many will choose the 37 for the mere +7 alone. A 2L turbo? Do they go back to G20? The Q makes a lot of sense from a marketing and positioning standpoint.

Originally Posted by CROONEY1970
Great post! I think a lot of us especially G owners feel as you do.
Sadly enough, a lot of us G owners in the forums is a small minority of total G owners and don't feel as strongly as the masses.
The following users liked this post:
WannabeSport (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with dropping the engine size. I think they should drop ALL numerics, but then that wouldn't allow them to use the "goodwill" built by Q. My thing is, if Q was such a big deal, why did they stop producing the actual Q?

Maybe they saw this coming a few years ago? It still doesnt leave them with a car to compete with full size luxury (7 series, etc). Maybe we'll see a Q80 in the future.

I do remember the G20....and I thought about it for all of 10 seconds when I was buying my G37. Heck I even parked mine next to a G20 in the parking lot at work a couple times. Anyone that was upset about the naming, all they needed to do was look at the actual cars. Night and day difference (plus the G37 was 17 better! )

I think Infiniti had it right before....the "lower" the letter the smaller the car. But now I guess that will just be replaced with the series number (50, 60, etc).

Since this is a Q50 review thread, Ill comment on the car itself: its growing on me. Some pics the front end looks great, others it looks "meh" and still others it looks "ick". Ill hold final judgement until I actually see one in person. Wife might need a new car soon, hopefully her TL will survive until the Q has been out a year or two (for bug fixes and potentially new drivetrains)

Quick Reply: 2014 Q50 Review