G37 Sedan

Is it because its 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:54 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Is it because its 2013?

Been reading all the misfortunes of members and their G's and I am not exempt.
Full stop at a stale red light with about half dozen cars around me and a teen with a new truck kisses my rear bumper.
I initially thought my whole rear was gone including the trunk, from the amount of force felt. Makes me have renewed confidence in the safety of this car.

Now the fun begins...
Attached Thumbnails Is it because its 2013?-magnet.jpg  
Old 04-27-2013, 12:27 AM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
how fast was he going? You got hit by a truck and that was the damage?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:13 AM
rlo
Registered Member

I dont know. I was looking down at the A/C controls when I felt the impact. The kid claimed his foot slipped off the brakes for a moment, but I suspect he stopped to late 25mph?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
It can't be 25mph. Probably 10 or under ESPECIALLY when it was a truck.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:58 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
dang and your lakers tonight sorry man. glad to hear you're okay though!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:22 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to hear that, this sucks but does not look too horrible. Probably just bumper shell damage. Not like my old car getting rear ended (frigging twice!!) with extensive frame damage each time :-S

Don't let the teen off the hook even though he was just being a stupid teenager. Get the car fixed at the shop of your choice and get diminished value too. It is a pain to claim but you should get it, since it will probably show on your carfax report.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Maybe it does have to do w/ 2013. Sorry to hear about your accident, I still have a week before the shop can even look at mine
We'll get 'em looking good as new though
Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Damn. There really has been too many of these threads. We gotta start a G prayer circle or something. I'm sure you won't even notice it by the time it fixed. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 AM
rlo
Registered Member

Its not as bad as some of the other members on here have gone through. And no one was injured which is good, slight headache but I think that could be a combination of being stressed / pissed about it.
I am sure any decent body shop can get it all fixed and matched, it is just the thought of constantly pulling teeth with insurance.

FourT2, how do you go about collecting diminished value? In case I have to gather proof who can accurately appraise the value loss?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a good chance that a body shop can remove the bumper and using a heat gun bring it back to the original shape.

I just had my front bumper removed and fixed that way.

Tom
Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Its not clearly visible but right where the trunk ends below the words Infiniti the bumper is torn. And the area where the license plate is there is a metal support of some kind that also punctured through the bumper.

I am curious underneath the bumper is it hollow, foam, honeycomb plastic, or metal support.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 PM
thestumper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me a month or so ago: full stop at at a light. Didn't post up at the time. Mine wasn't quite as bad as yours; fortunately the parking sensors were not damaged - you'd be surprise how fast damage will add up if they are. Mine was a middle aged guy in a brand new Caddy. He had good insurance, so I got lucky. You'd never know my car was hit today, and the damage was very minor, but I worry that in the future, a Carfax will cause problems for me.

Good luck with everything!

Last edited by thestumper; 04-27-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Spelling Fail
Old 04-27-2013, 02:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I know for sure I'll take a hit for diminished value since the Carfax will state heavy side collision. My state (New Mexico) has no legal precedent for diminished value claims so it'll be an uphill battle trying to get it compensated.
I'm hoping the at fault insurer (State Farm) may goodwill at least some form of compensation. I may try to pursue getting the entire car repainted if they deny any diminished value compensation. I'm guessing it would be at least a $3k hit I'd be taking if I sold the car right after the repair.

Sorry for the slight thread derail OP, but this topic is a good thing for all of us w/ these incidents to be discussing.

I also like the G prayer circle idea
Old 04-27-2013, 04:09 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rlo
Its not as bad as some of the other members on here have gone through. And no one was injured which is good, slight headache but I think that could be a combination of being stressed / pissed about it.
I am sure any decent body shop can get it all fixed and matched, it is just the thought of constantly pulling teeth with insurance.

FourT2, how do you go about collecting diminished value? In case I have to gather proof who can accurately appraise the value loss?
You can start with the at fault insurance company but they will offer you a very small amount to start with. If you have an attorney handling your case they can perhaps help with that. If not, you can prove the DV to the insurance by getting a letter from a dealer if they are willing to do that for you. There are also companies that specialize in DV appraisals but they are not cheap. DV is sometimes tricky, but don't let the insurance company off the hook. You will take a hit in the resale value if your car is repainted, and you should be compensated for that.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do attorneys really take cases this "small"? I thought this is considered property damage and takes place in small claims court?

Quick Reply: Is it because its 2013?