G37 Sedan

Getting Tints this weekend. What brand to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:25 AM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting Tints this weekend. What brand to go with?

I'm going with 35% all around. The place I will be going to carries Solar gard and Llumar.
Do you guys know which is better in terms of looks and quality?
I read that Solar gard protects against UVA and UVB rays and Llumar protects only against UVA.

Please advise.
Thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Just get any tint that has lifetime warranty against peeling/bubbling/purpling.

I have Madico Charcool, and I heard that 3M is also pretty good. Different tints also have different shades of color (some might be bluish, some might be greenish, etc) , so you should shop around and take a look.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:50 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Just get any good quality ceramic film. Dont go to a cheap shop. I got Huper Optik, it looks pretty good to me.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:56 AM
Sarcastik

I disagree, go to a cheap shop. I think in this modern times tint is a pretty difficult thing to mess up. Pretty much all shops give a lifetime warranty now so of course look for that, but check for yelp reviews and get the cheapest. If you want protection against UV rays then buy sunscreen, but paying 500 for tint that looks no different than a $125 job is a waste.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 AM
BLKG37X

Thank you for the replies, however, no one really answered my question
I can't shop around. The place I want to do it at only carries Solar gard and Llumar. Both will cost me $200. And I don't need a lifeime warranty, it's a 24 mo lease.
So please advice on which one is better.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
I can't shop around. The place I want to do it at only carries Solar gard and Llumar. Both will cost me $200. And I don't need a lifeime warranty, it's a 24 mo lease.

Thanks
We have had Llumar on three cars. Just got it on a fourth. Its a good mid-range brand. I almost sprung for the HuberOptik but I had been happy with Llumar in the past and didn't want to spend the extra $100.

Edit: for the record, the older jobs were not cermamic, and this one is. But it has been pretty dang good. Never had any bubbles at all. I think they pretty much got it down now. Don't see too many ghetto purple bubble tinted cars anymore.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:52 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarcastik
I disagree, go to a cheap shop. I think in this modern times tint is a pretty difficult thing to mess up. Pretty much all shops give a lifetime warranty now so of course look for that, but check for yelp reviews and get the cheapest. If you want protection against UV rays then buy sunscreen, but paying 500 for tint that looks no different than a $125 job is a waste.
If you don't mind you car being abused and damaged in other ways, in addition to cheaper materials and questionable labor, by all means go to a cheap shop.

Last time I paid $270 for a tint job, my gear shifter got scratched. They denied it at first then settled by giving me a free cargo area protector film.

This time I did not want to pay $550 for top of the line shop so I settled for a reputable shop in $400 range for ceramic film. And they still managed to mess up: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...t-install.html The tint job was very good, but I ended up with a ding. In retrospect, I would rather shell out more at a high end shop than have to deal with the issue that they caused.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Agreed about cheap shops. Paid 200 for my Z and they broke my third brake light, chipped the sail panel on the passenger door, and scratched my trunk trim. They drove the Z into the curb in the parking lot and scratched my chin spoiler, and left soapy water residue all over the door panels and trunk.

Paid $375 or something including the windshield for the G.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
Agreed about cheap shops. Paid 200 for my Z and they broke my third brake light, chipped the sail panel on the passenger door, and scratched my trunk trim. They drove the Z into the curb in the parking lot and scratched my chin spoiler, and left soapy water residue all over the door panels and trunk.

Paid $375 or something including the windshield for the G.
Did you get the whole windshield tinted or just a strip at the top. I'd love to have my whole windshield done but in Texas, it's not legal unfortunately.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:28 PM
mpegripper
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i'd only get formula one pinnacle or the new spectra photosync. huper optik is a great tint but is way too thick for a car application (its not actually designed for use on cars). it usually causes an oily look because of that.

formula one pinnacle is about $400 from a good installer for the sedan and the spectra is just ridiculous at $750
Old 04-29-2013, 04:10 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That "ghetto purple" as you called it is the result of using windex or other ammonia containing glass cleaner on the film. I'm sure nobody chose that color when they had it done.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 PM
LTrainG37

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKG37X

Thanks
I've had Llumar film on 3 cars in the past and it's been great. Never had Solar Gard so can't speak to it's quality. Maybe they have some samples you can see next to each other?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 AM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I went with 3M Color Stable. It looks great and is very good quality. Cost me around $250.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
ukmastermind
Registered Member

I chose Wincos 45 IR Tint... Blocks the heat and UV and less than half the price of 3M Crystalline. It's made by Madico btw

Also, I have 3M Color Stable 50 on another car, and for the money its great... no IR heat rejection BUT still quality stuff
Old 05-02-2013, 05:06 PM
BLKG37X

Thank to all for your replies. I ended up with Llumar 35% all around.

Quick Reply: Getting Tints this weekend. What brand to go with?