G37 Sedan

Getting tints today... stop me

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you mean 0%? as in non-transparent black vinyl?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
My car is black/black and I have 30% LLumar all the way around (except the windshield). On some days, it looks dark enough, but when the sun hits it just right, it looks like there is no tint. 20% is probably the best. Honestly, it's hard to see the difference from the inside, and they'll nail you for either if you are driving like an a$$ anyway!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hhyder
got the tints put on over the weekend and now waiting for all the bubbles to disappear. overall the car looks great and i am very happy. i opted for the 32% solargard tints that give the windows a 'smoke' look and not too dark that they look tacky.

a side question, do you guys black out the molding on the side of the windows or leave it as is? i have mixed thoughts on that... i think the car overall will look darker and meaner with the molding blacked out but not sure the best way to do it... plastidip or vinyl wrap maybe?
is there a diy on vinyl wraps and a place you know i can buy it or do you take it to a shop to get it done?
Yep, right here...
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-g-sedans.html
Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Slightly off topic but has anyone ever refreshed their tint? For really sunny places the tint slowly fades, just wondering if anyone ever stripped it off to have a new film reapplied?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:59 PM
LTrainG37

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rlo
Slightly off topic but has anyone ever refreshed their tint? For really sunny places the tint slowly fades, just wondering if anyone ever stripped it off to have a new film reapplied?
I had it done on the car I had before my G... I'd go to a very reputable shop - it's pretty straight forward except for the back window and trying to not mess up the rear defroster. They even warned me ahead of time that they always try their best but cannot guarantee that the defrost elements won't get messed up. Thankfully mine was OK and they did a fantastic job reapplying the new, darker tint.

If you had your car tinted originally with a quality film though, fade should be minimal and the film should have come with a lifetime warranty against fade.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM
mpegripper
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
yup a good shop will guarantee that work, so unless you bought the car used with the tint already. make sure you pick a shop that guarantees it.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Yan141

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I just had my car tinted 4 days ago 20% back 35% front I paid $275 and they did a quality job.....
Old 05-03-2013, 03:05 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For those with liquid platinum paint, what % did you with your tints? I'm thinking of doing it with something that's not too dark...maybe 30-35%. I feel like going dark just doesn't look good on a silver car.

I've never gotten any of my cars tinted. They either came that way, or I didn't want to.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:23 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
a side question, do you guys black out the molding on the side of the windows or leave it as is? i have mixed thoughts on that... i think the car overall will look darker and meaner with the molding blacked out but not sure the best way to do it... plastidip or vinyl wrap maybe?
I considered this with vinyl but the chrome around the window compliments the polished lip on my wheels.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZenZiglar
For those with liquid platinum paint, what % did you with your tints? I'm thinking of doing it with something that's not too dark...maybe 30-35%. I feel like going dark just doesn't look good on a silver car.

I have the same color and I did the medium tints. I dont know the percentages but usually there is a 1-5 scale, 1 being lightest 5 darkest.
I choose 4 for the back windows and rear sides, and 2 for the passenger and driver front sides.

At 4 in the rear it still looks like the 5 tint. Once tinted the windows look darker because the interior has less light and makes all the windows a shade darker. Looking back I could have went 3 on the rears since I have kids and I want people to understand that when I am driving slowly.
The following users liked this post:
ZenZiglar (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 AM
sinister_g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went 15% on the rears and 35% on the fronts. I think 5% is too dark on the rears to see out at night. I would've liked the fronts to be a bit lighter though. Maybe a 40% if you can find a shop that stocks it.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:09 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rlo
I have the same color and I did the medium tints. I dont know the percentages but usually there is a 1-5 scale, 1 being lightest 5 darkest.
I choose 4 for the back windows and rear sides, and 2 for the passenger and driver front sides.

At 4 in the rear it still looks like the 5 tint. Once tinted the windows look darker because the interior has less light and makes all the windows a shade darker. Looking back I could have went 3 on the rears since I have kids and I want people to understand that when I am driving slowly.
Standing back and looking at your car, which level offers more of an aesthetic complement? The 2 or the 4? I'm leaning towards going light, maybe 2-3 all around.

Does the 2 offer enough sun protection and privacy?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZenZiglar
Standing back and looking at your car, which level offers more of an aesthetic complement? The 2 or the 4? I'm leaning towards going light, maybe 2-3 all around.

Does the 2 offer enough sun protection and privacy?

Being the car is somewhat grey / silver, I would say anything darker than 1 would look good aesthetically as long as you choose charcoal tint.
On mine I have 2 in front and 4 on the rears.
For privacy at night you cant really see in at 2-3 without pressing your face on the glass or having a flashlight, daytime you can make out male or female but not facial features.

Sun protection, YES! Without tint on a moderately sunny day in CA I felt like the left side of my face was next to an open oven. And having black interior the car just emanates interior heat. At a 2 tint I dont feel the facial searing and I crack the passenger side for air.
Attached Thumbnails Getting tints today... stop me-photo.jpg   Getting tints today... stop me-photo1.jpg  

Last edited by rlo; 05-09-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Adding pictures