G37 Sedan

Should I do it or not? Upgrade to a '13 from an '08.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:45 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Should I do it or not? Upgrade to a '13 from an '08.

I have a 2008 Infiniti G35S 6MT sedan that i'v owned for 2 years and 2 months and it currently has 65k miles. Still owe about 6k on it. I'v been planning on upgrading at some point over the next year top year and a half. To what, I dont know.

I have been having some tranny issues with my car. Namely it is on its third. I seriously wish I would have left the second in there. It made a little grind which annoyed me so I mentioned it during an oil change, and they determined that something was messed up and would put a new tranny in.

Fast forward two weeks due to some mishaps and the 'spring mod' making it near impossible to install a tranny without (had to mail it to my dealer) I finally have my car back. The new tranny still grinds in the morning, except now it whines when its cold, won't go into gears on the highway, and yea, overall I am just about fed up with the transmission on it.

Out of curiosity I called my dealers GM (quite good friends with him) and asked him what they would give me for me car. They told me, and it was higher than I initially thought. So then I asked if they could find me a car and run one of their 2 year lease specials on it. They found one for me in IL, and gave me a ball park of where it would be (roughly the same payment as my current car) for a 2013 white G37xS with Navi, Sport, Prem, and Illuminated Kick plates and spoiler.

My car's loan goes until 2015, which i'd probably sell it in 2014. Do i dump it now since the warranty expires in november, risk more tranny issues, and get on one of these great lease specials now? Which would allow me to put the equity from my car into the bank to use as a downpayment on a condo in 2014? That was my original plan all along, just wondering if I should do it now and get more money out of my current car and get into a cheaper lease on a G37 vs a more expensive one next year on the Q50. I plan on switching to leases because it just suits me a little better so no lease vs buy debate.

Idk. Im torn. I really like my car, it is just the transmission that has soiled the experience for me. I am leaning towards just pulling the trigger and moving into a new car. But is the G37 worth it? I think for a lease it is the best bang for buck you can do right now.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Since you're moving from ownership into a leasing model, I say go for it. Lease the 2013 xS for a few years, then explore options then.

I think other than the newness and the bump in power, you're going to be disappointed in the AWD car coming from your 6MT. But I'm sure you've made you're peace with those compromises.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Wait for the Q50. Then make the change.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM
phxflyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if it helps any but the dealer I'm currently working with told me last week that very soon Infiniti will be offering 18 month leases. Apparently they can't even sell the G37 Sedans right now because of the impending release of the Q50. You may not want an 18 month lease but it shows just how aggressive they are getting. I wouldn't be surprised to see $199 a month leases by summer.

phxflyboy
Old 04-21-2013, 08:00 PM
g37flamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
being late is better than being sorry they say
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM
baksdak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for it. Wouldnt even have to think twice about it. I did the 18 month last August. Trying to enjoy the payment while I have it, as I know the Q50 wont be anywhere near what I am paying now. Since you are having issues with yours and you have a willing dealer to give you more than you expected, it is a no brainer.

Oh, and a $199/month G lease wont happen...unless you put quite a bit of money down. Obviously, all factors can vary but to get a payment like that you would have to have about 6k off MSRP (possible); 78% residual; and 0.0 MF...
Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 PM
phxflyboy

Originally Posted by baksdak
Oh, and a $199/month G lease wont happen...unless you put quite a bit of money down. Obviously, all factors can vary but to get a payment like that you would have to have about 6k off MSRP (possible); 78% residual; and 0.0 MF...
Obviously I'm just guessing at the $199 but I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch, considering they're doing $249 with about $2000 down. I guess we'll see but I bet they'll be begging to get those off the lot once the Q60's start rolling in.

phxflyboy
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
WannabeSport

I don't mind not being the 'first' to have a Q50, especially since it will be in the 500 dollar range to get the car I want.

The 24 month is only a 2 year deal so im not really worried. After that I can try a Q50 or switch to something else. Really just like to get the most out of my G while I can and I think that is now. Looking to get my own condo or house in 2014 and want to use the equity from my G towards the downpayment. It will be nice not having so much cash tied up into the vehicle at that point but instead in the bank.

I have a number in my head, and depending on where their price is in relationship to that in the morning, i'll be making the switch to a '13. Always wanted a white sport model G. It is about time I treat myself to one.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 AM
amt120

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There always seems to be odd issues in the first year of a model change. i think your car plan is smart.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM
thestumper

If you can get a sweet deal over a short term, I'd say go for it. I'd rather wait to move into a Q50 until any initial production issues are sorted out. As was mentioned, dealers need to move these cars and will be agressive...
Old 04-22-2013, 12:14 PM
WannabeSport

Exactly. I cannot afford a Q50 right now and would like to avoid moving down a class into something cheaper, FWD, etc but for the same or a little less money than a G37 and I cannot afford anything modern that is in the same class. At that point, i'll keep the G35 as I still love the car, just want to get the money out of it.

Should hopefully here back here pretty soon on the numbers. I have the debit card out ready to put the deposit down.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:36 PM
baksdak

Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Exactly. I cannot afford a Q50 right now and would like to avoid moving down a class into something cheaper, FWD, etc but for the same or a little less money than a G37 and I cannot afford anything modern that is in the same class. At that point, i'll keep the G35 as I still love the car, just want to get the money out of it.

Should hopefully here back here pretty soon on the numbers. I have the debit card out ready to put the deposit down.
Hope it works out for you!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:40 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd lease the '13 for 2 years and avoid 1st year model Q50.

Just make sure you are ok with AWD and 7A
Old 04-22-2013, 04:49 PM
WannabeSport

Pulled the trigger. Picking it up friday. O_O
Old 04-22-2013, 05:19 PM
phxflyboy

Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Pulled the trigger. Picking it up friday. O_O
I'm also on the verge of making the jump. Do you care to share any details of the deal you made?

phxflyboy

Quick Reply: Should I do it or not? Upgrade to a '13 from an '08.