G37 Sedan

Gas Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Mackle More

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Issues

Hey Guys ,

Im new to this forum so don't get mad if i bring up a issue thats been discussed over and over again. I just need some advice. I am a college student and i just got the 2013 g37x sedan two months ago. I am leasing it so i figured i'd be fine at the price i got it at , but then i started driving it and boy was i shocked by the gas prices. I live in new york and the gas prices are pretty expensive. I fill up the car with ultimate/premium gas at BP , and a full tank runs me no cheaper then $65 and as high as $73. Now i don't drive to often but i have to refill each week , and the price of gas at the end of the month is pretty much equivalent to the price of the car payment.

I was wondering if there's anything i can do , or should know about this car that can ease the burden of paying so much for gas. Also the computer on my car shows me getting 11.8 mpg city , whereas online it states that i should be getting 17 mpg. I dont know if its a issue with my car , or whether my driving is affecting the mpg , but i dont think i can afford this car at the rate im going. I barely get 180 miles for a full tank.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me? or Opinions?
Please let me know.

Thanks
Rad
Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
your mileage should def be better than what you are getting. if the motor is not broken yet it may get the less than advertised gas mileage. if you feel there is something wrong take it to the dealer.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:39 PM
mr_nlu
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
-only use the awd when you REALLY need it
-dont drive fast
-coast as much as you can especially when youre coming to a stop

all i got haha
Old 04-14-2013, 02:53 PM
GoCougs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EPA mileage rating is game played by the auto manufacturers so I wouldn't use that for anything; "city" driving has a specific definition in the test. If I reset the mpg gauge during stop-n-go I easily get 8-10 mpg in my G37x sedan. Do you do a lot of stop-n-go? Either way, a 3,850 lb vehicle with AWD and 7sp AT is gonna go through a lot of gas. If your area is still using winter gas, all the worse.

But no, there's nothing you can do about mpg for set type of driving. Getting 17 mpg would drop your gas bill only ~$85/mo. Sure, it's money, but between insurance, maintenance, tires (my stockers lasted but ~30k) and brakes (needed rears at ~30k) for a performance luxury sedan, that only a small part of the larger $$$ picture. You're best unloading the car ASAP if ~$85/mo is the demarcation between make or break.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Mackle More

I did i tired unloading the car. And i found a buyer who was interested in taking over my lease , only to find out the Nissan/Infiniti dont do a full transfer of owner. Meaning i would still be the original owner of the vehicle , and still 50% liable if the person who takes it over doesn't want to pay or crashes the car. It's extremely risky when not knowing who your going to give it to. Im just stuck in a pickle right now , and yes $85 a month is a big difference for me. Guess i made a mistake , and a lesson learned.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Mackle More

Originally Posted by Nickuhplease
-only use the awd when you REALLY need it
-dont drive fast
-coast as much as you can especially when youre coming to a stop

all i got haha
can i turn off awd?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:15 PM
keraxis

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
City mileage

Honestly that mileage is about what i get and 90% of my driving is stop and go. Unless you get on the highway get used to it. If your not redlineing the car you could also go to a lower fuel rating but i wouldnt. I would get used to it or get a new car. They are making a 1 liter ecoboost fiesta that gets crazy mileage and is fun. the new focus st is great. You could get a g25 used. or the m37 hybrid. But if i was going to get something it would probably be the jetta diesel untill i got out of college and get a decent job.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:17 PM
keraxis

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Solved with a contract.

Basically you do the transfer and then you have a notorized contract stating that he is responsible in full for the car. That way in a legal situation your covered and only liable in the eyes of nissan corp. You might also want to look into a lease swap company.

Originally Posted by Mackle More
I did i tired unloading the car. And i found a buyer who was interested in taking over my lease , only to find out the Nissan/Infiniti dont do a full transfer of owner. Meaning i would still be the original owner of the vehicle , and still 50% liable if the person who takes it over doesn't want to pay or crashes the car. It's extremely risky when not knowing who your going to give it to. Im just stuck in a pickle right now , and yes $85 a month is a big difference for me. Guess i made a mistake , and a lesson learned.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Basikk_

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mackle More
Hey Guys ,

Im new to this forum so don't get mad if i bring up a issue thats been discussed over and over again. I just need some advice. I am a college student and i just got the 2013 g37x sedan two months ago. I am leasing it so i figured i'd be fine at the price i got it at , but then i started driving it and boy was i shocked by the gas prices. I live in new york and the gas prices are pretty expensive. I fill up the car with ultimate/premium gas at BP , and a full tank runs me no cheaper then $65 and as high as $73. Now i don't drive to often but i have to refill each week , and the price of gas at the end of the month is pretty much equivalent to the price of the car payment.

I was wondering if there's anything i can do , or should know about this car that can ease the burden of paying so much for gas. Also the computer on my car shows me getting 11.8 mpg city , whereas online it states that i should be getting 17 mpg. I dont know if its a issue with my car , or whether my driving is affecting the mpg , but i dont think i can afford this car at the rate im going. I barely get 180 miles for a full tank.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me? or Opinions?
Please let me know.

Thanks
Rad
180 miles for a full tank?
Reset the computer that shows your MPG average. (This wont change NOTHING) But change your driving habits if you're driving a little to aggressive, then you should see a dramatic change in the MPG you are getting.
*Note* The computer is averaging the mpg you are getting since the time you started driving the car, it doesn't necessarily mean you are getting the indicated mpg shown on the screen. common sense.

Weekly, i put on about $75-80 of gas and get about 300-320 mpg.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Mackle More

Originally Posted by Basikk_
180 miles for a full tank?
Reset the computer that shows your MPG average. (This wont change NOTHING) But change your driving habits if you're driving a little to aggressive, then you should see a dramatic change in the MPG you are getting.
*Note* The computer is averaging the mpg you are getting since the time you started driving the car, it doesn't necessarily mean you are getting the indicated mpg shown on the screen. common sense.

Weekly, i put on about $75-80 of gas and get about 300-320 mpg.
Care to elaborate on anything you do , that gets you 300-320 mpg? I'd be thankful for 200 at this point!! Do you really feel like its my driving? Because if this gas problem is solved to keeping your pedal off the gas as much as possible, whats the point of getting a nice car?

But anyway please let me know what you to do , to get 300 mpg.. thanks !!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:06 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Start by properly measuring your mpg.

Use the same gas station, preferably even the same pump.

Record your mileage between fillsup and compute the mpg. Some will argue this, but i've found the displayed mpg is sometimes accurate, sometimes not.

If you're doing lots of stop and go driving, < 45 mph, your mpg will suffer. You might save a few bucks by running 87 too. Especially if you have no plans on keeping the car after the lease is up.

My 6mt with ~50/50 city/hwy gets ~20-21 mpg in the colder months, and ~22-23 when it warms up. I don't really beat on it unless there's a good stretch of road.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
take out the spare haha
Old 04-14-2013, 05:20 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Either it's the awd or some of you guys just floor it from red light to red light. My commute to work is right smack through downtown atlanta and get 26-28 mpg. Weekend driving around it drops to 22-24. Rwd sedan.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:46 PM
GoCougs

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Start by properly measuring your mpg.

Use the same gas station, preferably even the same pump.

Record your mileage between fillsup and compute the mpg. Some will argue this, but i've found the displayed mpg is sometimes accurate, sometimes not.

If you're doing lots of stop and go driving, < 45 mph, your mpg will suffer. You might save a few bucks by running 87 too. Especially if you have no plans on keeping the car after the lease is up.

My 6mt with ~50/50 city/hwy gets ~20-21 mpg in the colder months, and ~22-23 when it warms up. I don't really beat on it unless there's a good stretch of road.
The in-car MPG gauge is more accurate, and more convenient.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 PM
GoCougs

As to anecdotes for mpg this time of year...

2011 G37x w/18" 7 split-spoke wheels
Dedicated studless snow tires
Rooftop ski rack
In an area that uses winter gas
Average temp of ~40F

With a 70/30 mix highway/city, and driving normally, I averaged 16-17 mpg. 100% highway driving I'd only manage 18-19 mpg.

Quick Reply: Gas Issues