G37 Sedan

Gas Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:39 PM
keraxis

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Few variables

My mileage may or may not be a good indication for you.. i get about 17 to 18 in a rwd sedan. Alittle heavy on the gas. I also live 2 miles from work and fill my car up once a month so i dont really care about mileage only that it makes me smile. All my driving to and from work is stop and go.. about 8 lights. i get about 220 to 250 a tank. When i got the car and was on the highway i was getting well over 400 a tank.. closer to 500 i believe.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM
mr_nlu
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackle More
can i turn off awd?
i dont have the awd but i believe its the button between the heat seat controllers that reads "snow"
Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 PM
mahonesbones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u bought the wrong car if u are concerned about gas mileage-all indications in your post suggest u beat the ***** off your car so try tonning it down on the streets-i live in staten island and drive to the city every day and i get 15.7 according to the computer and i admit im heavier on the gas when i can-do yourself a favor and take it easier on the gas pedal otherwise the gas consumption will be the least of your problems!among other things u will be replacing those expensive tires every 12 months driving hard on these crappy nyc streets! also u cant turn off the awd
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickuhplease
i dont have the awd but i believe its the button between the heat seat controllers that reads "snow"
The snow button doesn't do anything for the AWD system. It only "neuters" the throttle on takeoff. I think the only way to disable the AWD system is through turning off the VDC, but the car is programmed to be 100% RWD unless there is a slip, and in city driving that happens rarely, unless you're gunning it constantly at traffic lights.

I use to average about 13mpg back when my job was in the city, no highway driving. I would get like 175 on a full tank. It would frustrate me all the time. Now I have a job that is farther away that I use the interstate to commute and I am now getting about 21mpg @ 78mph.

To me it sounds like you would be better off unloading the car through a lease swap agency, you can try swapalease.com
Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 PM
keraxis

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
disability

You could turn it off... hows your wrenching skills. probably sent alot of codes to. I konw some drifters used to disable their awd on skylines to drift.

Originally Posted by mahonesbones
u bought the wrong car if u are concerned about gas mileage-all indications in your post suggest u beat the ***** off your car so try tonning it down on the streets-i live in staten island and drive to the city every day and i get 15.7 according to the computer and i admit im heavier on the gas when i can-do yourself a favor and take it easier on the gas pedal otherwise the gas consumption will be the least of your problems!among other things u will be replacing those expensive tires every 12 months driving hard on these crappy nyc streets! also u cant turn off the awd
Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Basikk_

Originally Posted by Mackle More
Care to elaborate on anything you do , that gets you 300-320 mpg? I'd be thankful for 200 at this point!! Do you really feel like its my driving? Because if this gas problem is solved to keeping your pedal off the gas as much as possible, whats the point of getting a nice car?

But anyway please let me know what you to do , to get 300 mpg.. thanks !!
I'm assuming it is your driving.
You don't necessarily need to keep your pedal of the gas, but you don't need to take off aggressively after every stop light.
Have fun in the hwy, theres no need to go 50mph on a 35mph street zone.

Side note: When financing my car, the sales man said to go with a G25 since it would bring a better MPG than G37 and save me some $$$. Guess what i said haha. Obviously.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:53 PM
GoCougs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G37x is auto AWD - there is no turning it off. The only way to defeat it is through extreme means - removing front drive shaft, disabling the T-case clutch or some such. Even if defeated the savings would be marginaly - betcha 1 mpg or less. A good portion of the mpg penalty is in the ~200 lbs of AWD gear.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 AM
buckets

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
heh i get the same mpg as the OP and i dont care because i can afford it. well goodluck to yah getting outta the lease, hopefully you'll have learned something.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:04 PM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you noticed the gas prices after you bought the car? And you said you're in college?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i drive in nyc traffic as well.

for city only traffic 12mpg is about what you will get counting some stuck in traffic moments.

when I had my g37x I averaged 14-16mpg but I live in brooklyn. so sometimes I will be on the BQE and Belt pkwy, which pull up the MPG a little.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The AWD system will not kick in unless slip is detected from the rear wheels, so just go easy on the gas and it won't ever come on. Don't use DS mode, make sure you are in regular D mode while driving. The 7AT is pretty conservative during easy cruising, don't speed and you should be ok. Don't follow anyone closely, and try to not have to use your brakes any more than necessary. Once the computer gets used to more sedate driving, your mileage should improve unless there is something wrong with your car. If you have installed any engine mods like intakes, I would suggest going back to stock. Make sure your tires are properly inflated, that will help too. I get an average of 17 MPG combined in my AWD EX35, and that engine is actually less efficient so I know your mileage can be improved upon significantly. My G usually gets around 20 MPG, but it's a RWD sport.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:46 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

The subject should be changed to "wallet issue" instead
Old 04-17-2013, 02:05 AM
Eldan
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How does a college student lease a brand new $40,000 car. When I was in college I drove a '78 Corolla with a manual choke.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:29 AM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eldan
How does a college student lease a brand new $40,000 car. When I was in college I drove a '78 Corolla with a manual choke.
You'll be surprised, at Michigan State University their are a bunch of students driving exotic cars... A lot of lambos, GTR, Porsche, Maserati, I even seen two different brand aston martin driving around recent by college students....
Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Eldan
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hechen507
You'll be surprised, at Michigan State University their are a bunch of students driving exotic cars... A lot of lambos, GTR, Porsche, Maserati, I even seen two different brand aston martin driving around recent by college students....
I bet none of them complain about gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Gas Issues