G37 Sedan

Would you buy a G37 sedan again?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 AM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't had the sedan, but I had a '10 7at S coupe that was totaled. After shopping a wide array I ended up in a new '11 7at S coupe. So, a "fulfilled" yes.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 AM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
My 2011 g37 sedan is almost 1 1/2 years old and absolutely no problems. I read all the complaints about the 7 speed auto trans, but mine is perfect. The car takes off like a rocket when I give it the gas, with no hesitation. I read about paint problems, but I have none. Buy one. You won't be sorry, unless you don't like fast cars.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:11 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I would opt for the 7AT next time around.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:56 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 2013 6mt sedan and I looks at plenty of other options including A6, Taurus SHO, a few years old M5 and I tell you, I think I made the right decision. In vibrant red the car draws a lot of attention from everyone including myself. I stare at her often and I love the way she mixes great handling with a good ride. My friends 335 with M Sport package rides like crap. The suspension is so stiff that a bump I've been over a million times in different vehicles and never noticed to be that bad actually caused the rear tires to leave the ground if the seats weren't good he would have back problems.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a 2010 G37x and now a 2013 G37x. The cars are nearly identical in the way they drive except the transmission in the 2013 is a bit smoother. The 2010 had a distinct hesitation that was apparent after slowing down to 10 - 20 mph and then resuming acceleration. I never had that transmission "reflashed" which might have fixed the problem. While irritating at times, never a deal breaker. A BMW 335 has a smoother transmission and drives a bit better....but reliability issues are pronounced.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Rennies5

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I became an Infiniti guy 4 years ago, kind of by accident. I had an opportunity to buy a 2006 M35X at a great price. I drove that car for 4 years, loved it, but felt it was a little big and underpowered. Buying a G37X was a logical replacement for the M, but I was also concerned about the 7 speed transmission problems people were talking about in their reviews. I also was worried that I might be taking a step down going from the M line to the G line. I ended up buying a 2010 G37x sedan about 2 months ago and I am so happy I did. The transmission is definitely not as smooth as the 5 speed transmission in the M, but it is so much better than what I expected after reading the bad reviews. The transmission seems to upshift early in D and is a little slow to downshift when you get on the gas lightly, say going up a hill. With that said, I would not let your transmission concern dissuade you from buying the car. The car is so much fun to drive. It handles great and is so much quicker than my M. An added bonus with the G is that I am getting better gas mileage because of the 7 speed transmission.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM
The Professor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These replies are making me feel a lot better about the G and the transmission woes that some people have experienced. I am also considering the TL SH-AWD and the VW CC V6. The next step for me is to drive the G and see how it is. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 AM
baksdak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I would buy again (and did). I previously had a 2007 with the 5-speed auto and loved it. To me it felt a little faster than my 2012 and more responsive HOWEVER, given the choice I would pick the 7 speed...mainly because of the improved fuel economy. I only notice a slight hesitation when I am driving like I probably shouldnt be. In normal, everyday driving it is fine.

This car offers so much bang for the buck that to me, this is really a small/nonexistent concern. Are there better transmissions out there? Of course. But be ready to pay more if you want one in a RWD sedan. To me, it wasnt worth it at the time.

The issue is probably over-emphasized. After all, this is a forum and many people come here with issues/problems looking for help.

Bottom line is the G is a RWD sedan with respectable performance and some luxury at a great price. There are some rough edges and things that could be better, but nothing is perfect.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I had a 2004 G35 sedan and loved it.
Never had any issues with the engine, transmission,...anything really.

My 2011 has treated me equally as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by The Professor
These replies are making me feel a lot better about the G and the transmission woes that some people have experienced. I am also considering the TL SH-AWD and the VW CC V6. The next step for me is to drive the G and see how it is. Thanks for all the feedback.
The drive will seal the deal
Keep in mind you'll have to look at the TL everyday that you own it
Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 PM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be torn. In general, I love our G. It hits almost all the right driving, performance and practicality buttons. Not to mention being part of a VERY reliable series of cars.

However, for me (at least) the 7AT is almost a deal killer. I've mentioned before, but we also recently added a new Audi to our garage. The 8AT in that car is simply fantastic, and really drives home just how badly Nissan screwed the pooch (and seemingly still is) with their auto transmission choice. Mind you, it's simply the way that the transmission behaves, that turns me (and so many others) off. It's not a question of reliability, as I think you'll be hard-pressed to find many threads about actual failure.

The other thing I still have a hard time with, and it's more subjective than the transmission "issue" - the lack of low-end torque. Now if I had the 6MT, then I would simply drive accordingly. But the flaky 7AT, combined with the lack of TQ, means that it never has the grunt off the line which I am accustomed to, and very much prefer.

But it's all relative. I'm basing my desire for torque on the fact that my previous car had almost 350lbs down low. Our Titan has about a million pounds, and our Audi even has more than 300.

That could be solved by Nissan moving to some modern DI FI engines, like the rest of the competition is now doing.

So, after the long bit of rambling, my answer is a pretty solid: I don't really know...
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
I've had my 2010 G37X for a few months now and am still in love with it . Any chance I get to drive I'm running out the door with my keys. I prefer a manual tranny but the 7speed AT is bearable. Great car, entoxicating power and great build quality.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Sold my G35 to my father. He still drives it & loves it. Moved to a TL for 3 years & hated it. Traded it in for my current 2012 G37s. I love my ride & enjoy spirited driving once again.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM
boomboom696969

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2010 G37s Anniversary edition sedan and love it and would buy it again. I too worried about the 7AT after reading some of the reviews and thought it was going to be a big issue, but 2 yrs later, I AM STILL GRINNING FROM EAR TO EAR, THIS CAR IS A BLAST TO DRIVE. I could have afforded a BMW 335i, MB C-class, Audi A4, but the G had all the right moves for the right price of admission and everyone who has driven in my car or took it for a quick spin agrees. You won't be disappointed by the G. Still smiling!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Blodngutz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd definitley buy another G37. I've had my '12 G37X for a month now and I only wish I'd bought one sooner.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a G37 sedan again?