G37 Sedan

Stolen!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 AM
scrubsauce

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Uhh yeah okay...that might fly in another country, but it is different here. That is so blatantly obvious that the car was being stolen. Plus do you think they're going to push it out a gate here? Please. Maybe if you parked your car in Harlem or some sketchy neighborhood that may happen, but this one required a whole team of people to steal a car. How do you know it isn't staged either?

I'm not denying there are professional thieves out there. What I am saying is that people don't need to panic because this type of occurrence doesn't happen often enough to cause for alarm.

I looked up more videos of the BMWs being stolen and they are the same thieves in the same neighborhood vicinity in England...I don't see any in the US. This is just specific only to the UK, and BMWs before the model year 2011.

Hackers steal BMWs in 3 minutes using security loophole - Technology on NBCNews.com
Believe what you want. The proof is right there of the 1M being stolen out of a guy's driveway (who posted that video in a 1M forum that went viral) hardly doubt it was an inside job that the guy would post incriminating video footage online. They only wheeled it away because they didn't want to disturb the owner by starting it and started it outside the driveway, as seen at the end of the video. I don't see why a 1M owner would even want his car stolen, as that car is rarer than a Unicorn's dump - any "money" he got from an "inside job" would be paid to dealers gouging the used ones at $70k+, even more I would imagine in the UK. So yeah, he never got his hands on another 1M.

Second of all if this car was jacked at 4am on a Sunday night there are no witnesses and even when car alarms go off, people just look the other way. Car alarms go off so frequently that it's like the boy who cried wolf. Typically in a gated community, the gates don't let you in without a barcode, but anyone can leave from the Exit.

Third, the G37 is one of the most stolen cars in the US (outside your rusty dumpster stuff like 95 civic and 91 accord, etc.) If you say otherwise you're just living in a delusional little bubble. The US (yes the Ritzy parts too) has a car stolen every 26 seconds, hardly has anything to do with Harlem or the UK.. Just because you don't hear about people's cars being stolen doesn't mean it's not happening.

A Car is Stolen in the United States Every 26.4 Seconds - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

America's most stolen cars - Infiniti G37 Coupe (5) - CNNMoney.com

Last edited by scrubsauce; 04-11-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Alaa Wehbeh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmann
Actually you are both right, in Cali they are stealing cars just as he described:

What's The Secret Device Thieves In California Are Using To Break Into Cars?
Ummm.. that's actually scary lol .. if they unlocked a 1M in 3 minutes it would probably take them like 10 seconds to unlock our G
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by scrubsauce
Believe what you want. The proof is right there of the 1M being stolen out of a guy's driveway (who posted that video in a 1M forum that went viral) hardly doubt it was an inside job that the guy would post incriminating video footage online. They only wheeled it away because they didn't want to disturb the owner by starting it and started it outside the driveway, as seen at the end of the video. I don't see why a 1M owner would even want his car stolen, as that car is rarer than a Unicorn's dump - any "money" he got from an "inside job" would be paid to dealers gouging the used ones at $70k+, even more I would imagine in the UK. So yeah, he never got his hands on another 1M.

Second of all if this car was jacked at 4am on a Sunday night there are no witnesses and even when car alarms go off, people just look the other way. Car alarms go off so frequently that it's like the boy who cried wolf. Typically in a gated community, the gates don't let you in without a barcode, but anyone can leave from the Exit.

Third, the G37 is one of the most stolen cars in the US (outside your rusty dumpster stuff like 95 civic and 91 accord, etc.) If you say otherwise you're just living in a delusional little bubble. The US (yes the Ritzy parts too) has a car stolen every 26 seconds, hardly has anything to do with Harlem or the UK.. Just because you don't hear about people's cars being stolen doesn't mean it's not happening.

A Car is Stolen in the United States Every 26.4 Seconds - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

America's most stolen cars - Infiniti G37 Coupe (5) - CNNMoney.com
I'm not going to argue this anymore. My point is made. If someone wants to steal your car, the easiest method would be just to tow it away. Doing this hacking thing would make a lot of noise, and maybe require a whole team of professional thieves.

Also, these cars are not as desired because the risk they take to steal these are higher than some old jalopy. There isn't a known exploit for the Infiniti OBD computer like in the BMW made before 2011. Like I said though, no system is foolproof. The best thing to do is to take steps to prevent this from happening and have auto theft insurance.

And no, some gated places will not let you leave unless you have a keycard to exit.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I just want to point out, that list is not the most stolen cars in the US, but the cars most stolen by ratio to cars sold. there are far more civics and camry's stolen, but there are so many more of them sold they didn't make that list.

Top 10 Most-Stolen Cars In The U.S. « CBS New York
Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Italianaviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lokosis
Glad your car is back! So what happened?! Did you just forget where you parked it? j/k
Someone asked to see the pictures of his car, so if anybody saw it, we could be on the lookout. I believe those were the pics of his car when he first bought it.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:58 AM
mystikal
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So what's the point? I mean you can say this about anything. Any car will be defeated eventually, but honestly, our cars aren't even CLOSE to be the top stolen vehicle in the US.

Thieves like to target older vehicles that are much easier to steal. For every one Infiniti stolen there are probably 15 Toyota Camry's stolen...

Also, time is an important factor. An Infiniti dealer takes 30 minutes to program keys. By then, someone would probably notice and the risk is too great. Plus, if we can afford an Infiniti, we could probably afford auto theft insurance.

Like what you're saying is pretty much what America banks and corporations face every single day when hackers try to hack their system. Eventually, once in a while, a hacker will go through. However, the chances of that happening aren't that high. Does that mean we shouldn't store money in banks anymore and just keep a safe in our houses? Because that can be cracked too.

So, to really think about what you're saying, you need to first take a lot of time to hack open the door (because you don't have the transponder key to open it, plug into the OBD reader for the computer to register, and then program the key to have the car turn on (which still takes 30 minutes MINIMUM by Infiniti Dealer.) The computer systems operate on the same principle: to erase your keys and reprogram new ones. Do you honestly think that most thieves are going to risk taking this long before getting caught by a witness?

This stolen Infiniti is quite rare, and you don't hear of this at all except once in a blue moon. I suspect the person who stole the vehicle probably knew about this for a while now and wasn't actually a random on the spot theft. Of course the other option would be to flat bed the vehicle and steal it that way, which is far easier than trying to hack through the computer.
I'm not going to argue this anymore. My point is made. If someone wants to steal your car, the easiest method would be just to tow it away. Doing this hacking thing would make a lot of noise, and maybe require a whole team of professional thieves.

Also, these cars are not as desired because the risk they take to steal these are higher than some old jalopy. There isn't a known exploit for the Infiniti OBD computer like in the BMW made before 2011. Like I said though, no system is foolproof. The best thing to do is to take steps to prevent this from happening and have auto theft insurance.

And no, some gated places will not let you leave unless you have a keycard to exit.
It takes one guy to pick your car up on a flat bed and tow it away bud...Im alittle alarmed myself because I live not that far from the area OP lives in...I've heard/seen them steal many Infiniti and either chop em up, or send them whole over seas for cheap..Although you are right about them defeating and stealing our cars, its a hot commodity, and I will be alarmed regardless, even though my insurance will cover it...I mean that's why you pay for insurance right?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
In chicago proper, the city tow folk will have your car hooked up and towed in under a min, probably more like 30 sec. They're so good, they dont even get out of the truck.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 PM
jude26

Originally Posted by Lokosis
Glad your car is back! So what happened?! Did you just forget where you parked it? j/k
Same car, just a picture from the day I brought her home in Oct 2010. Right now, she had 27k miles.
Have not gotten the car back.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 PM
jude26

Insurance will cover, but rates will probably go sky high if State Farm doesn't drop me. This is the third hit in the last six years. Wife totaled her 2006 WRX in 2008 and had a small fender bender (no damage) with her 2011 WRX where the other person claimed medical pain. (this is why if the parties agree to no police, never ever give them your insurance information).
Old 04-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Zack342
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jude26
Insurance will cover, but rates will probably go sky high if State Farm doesn't drop me. This is the third hit in the last six years. Wife totaled her 2006 WRX in 2008 and had a small fender bender (no damage) with her 2011 WRX where the other person claimed medical pain. (this is why if the parties agree to no police, never ever give them your insurance information).
Jude was your car heavily modded? aside from our stock brakes what would be the point of stealing an S over any other G37
Old 04-11-2013, 02:48 PM
jude26

No mods.
Other than brakes, I would think the wheels.
If they send the entire car to another country, than the 6spd becomes important because only people in the US drive automatics. Every other country is more about manual shifting.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:56 PM
AKat

Originally Posted by jude26
How far back does State Farm hold things against you? I thought most companies only did the last 3 years. Keeping my fingers crossed they don't drop you..
Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 PM
scrubsauce

I have never heard of a gated community that traps people in. They are designed to keep people out. How are guests supposed to get out if they need a fob? What you are saying makes no sense.

The flatbed idea is also unlikely. Flatbeds are loud and frequently wake me up in the middle of the night and will be noticed. My theory is 1 guy with hardware and 1 or 2 guys as lookouts in the middle of the night.

I frequently see shady people and excons smoking in the parking lot. Nobody approaches them in fear of being stabbed with a shiv. Miami is a cake filled with dog poo and knives.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:00 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by scrubsauce
I have never heard of a gated community that traps people in. They are designed to keep people out. How are guests supposed to get out if they need a fob? What you are saying makes no sense.

The flatbed idea is also unlikely. Flatbeds are loud and frequently wake me up in the middle of the night and will be noticed. My theory is 1 guy with hardware and 1 or 2 guys as lookouts in the middle of the night.

I frequently see shady people and excons smoking in the parking lot. Nobody approaches them in fear of being stabbed with a shiv. Miami is a cake filled with dog poo and knives.
Uhh no...it's called a temporary pass when you come in. There are people at the gate to open it just in case you weren't there.

Breaking glass is just as loud or hacking open a door than a flatbed truck. At least nobody would think anything out of the ordinary if a tow truck came rather than breaking a glass door or drilling a hole into the side of the door. Our cars have an alarm system when you try to open the door while locked.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM
scrubsauce

What people? What pass? Do you know how a LARGE gated community works? There is a guard when you enter who writes up temp. passes and an exit gate that opens automatically, for everyone who wants to leave. Nobody sits by the exit and opens gates, guests don't have keycards, guests don't sit there and wait for a guard who is busy dealing with guests coming in to let them out. I've been to 20 gated communities and none of them require someone to let you out. You drive over the sensor and you're gone.

There are devices out there that will unlock the car. Even if they break the window they'll be gone before anyone gets out of bed. There are many techniques to breaking glass quietly or with minimal sound.

I thought you were done with this thread?

Quick Reply: Stolen!!!!!