G37 Sedan

Anyone know anything about gold plating?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike24
Just to see....I picked this random G and placed the firerbird

Oh God, I was totally wrong!

Nice job, though.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Seraphix

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Why did my brain automatically picture a mullet
Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Seraphix
Why did my brain automatically picture a mullet
Lol, and a banjo in the trunk & a Dale Jr. Decal on the back window
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
That sir, is some bullshit.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I remember that Acuras used to offer gold plated badges option for extra cost. When I first saw that I thought "eww, why would anyone willingly pay more for that?". Agree with most that it looks tacky
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe a Landau roof too !
Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
This message has been deleted by Rochester. Reason: done with this lame thread. bye bye
You sir are getting cranky in your old age.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 AM
builtoorder

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
what about wheels

Old 03-29-2013, 11:42 AM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Trinidad James up in this forum!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:54 PM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not my taste. But I find it ironic that so many are chiming in, as I notice that SO many of the treads on this forum are entirely incidental, cosmetic-related. How many threads are there for lowering the damn car? How many threads for rims? How many for tint? LED interior lights anyone? Ugh. Shiny chromed engine bits, like CAI? Seriously?

It's pretty clear that a majority (not all, but too many) of the people who spend time doing things to their G cars, care more about appearances than performance and function.

So, give the OP a break. Too many of you spend your time chasing your own, non-performance, endeavors with your cars.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Cosmetic mods are fine. Just not ugly ones. People are sharing their opinions on it because OP specifically asked for them.

I just passed a nice looking G20 going to lunch. It had gold trim. I think it was a '99.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Seraphix

Some people will get on others case because they don't want the G's persona changed. They don't want it to become ricey or distasteful. Sometimes they might come off like elitists or snobby and do it in the wrong manner granted, but its done out of respect for the car and brand. And as far as the performance comment is concerned, for you to be able to get any significant power out of these cars( anything over 20hp) you need to FI, and for it to be done right in case you haven't noticed is about 8k-10k.... hence the cosmetic mods
Old 03-29-2013, 02:07 PM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Seraphix
Some people will get on others case because they don't want the G's persona changed. They don't want it to become ricey or distasteful. Sometimes they might come off like elitists or snobby and do it in the wrong manner granted, but its done out of respect for the car and brand. And as far as the performance comment is concerned, for you to be able to get any significant power out of these cars( anything over 20hp) you need to FI, and for it to be done right in case you haven't noticed is about 8k-10k.... hence the cosmetic mods
Again, it was more irony than anything else.
As for performance, you're right. It's unfortunate, but the engine is pushed about as far as it can get (NA) from the factory. But I still think that some of this is market-driven. Obviously, the G is somewhat upscale, and therefore a good majority of the owners will never touch one thing on their cars - unlike, for instance, a WRX or EVO. With those, probably 90% of the cars get some kind of mod within the first few minutes of ownership. It's the reason that there is an almost limitless aftermarket for those. With actual real performance parts (again, thanks to FI from the factory). I just wish there were those options with the G cars...
Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Seraphix

Originally Posted by oliveview
Again, it was more irony than anything else.
As for performance, you're right. It's unfortunate, but the engine is pushed about as far as it can get (NA) from the factory. But I still think that some of this is market-driven. Obviously, the G is somewhat upscale, and therefore a good majority of the owners will never touch one thing on their cars - unlike, for instance, a WRX or EVO. With those, probably 90% of the cars get some kind of mod within the first few minutes of ownership. It's the reason that there is an almost limitless aftermarket for those. With actual real performance parts (again, thanks to FI from the factory). I just wish there were those options with the G cars...

Yeah I hear u man, and I just noticed that the OP's screen name is Angelina... I don't know why but the whole rose Gold plating thing just became much more acceptable now that I know she's a chic... I think we were a little too harsh fellas.
Off topic though (don't use the bat BB) any NA 37's running stroker kits? I haven't seen it done on the forum, I know a few 35 and 350 guys have done it. And when I had my is300 I saw a few done, and they were BEAST... Although price after installation would pretty much be the same as FI, still would be an awseome option for the NA guys.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

OP is not necessarily a chic. I'm not. Neither is a user named princess. Screen names can be misleading, maybe it's the name of his car like mine?

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about gold plating?