G37 Sedan

Infiniti quality still lacking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Diesel350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti quality still lacking?

So I'm still shopping to buy a used 2010 G37 sedan and I seem to be finding alot of used Infiniti's where the interiors are just scratch up to hell and look like garbage. This is kind of a concern to me if i plan on having the car for the long term. Are you guys finding quality issues with your Infiniti? I'm not worried at all about the reliability of the car since I know it's a pretty reliable car but it just seems that Infiniti is still lacking in the quality department and is still not on par with Lexus. I've seen 10 yr old Lexus interior's holding up better than Infiniti.

Here is a pic from a dealer who had a 2010 model with only 35,000 miles on it. If I buy this car is this something that could be fixed easily?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
That particular piece of trim on the steering wheel does scratch extremely easily. It can be replaced with a newer trim piece with a different texture that doesn't' scratch off so easily. The whole interior isn't subject to that type of wear though. I'm pretty happy with how my 08 is holding up in general.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
The dealer should replace that trim on the steering wheel for free.

Overall the quality of the interior isn't fantastic, but it's not terrible either. I've got some rattles here and there, but I've been able to reduce most of them. The leather on the seats aren't high quality, but with proper care they'll hold up fine. I've had my car for a little over a year now and after a detail it still looks like new.

My biggest complaint is the soft plastic they used on the front bumper, seems like everything (big bugs, rocks, etc..) puts an indention in the bumper. Doesn't always scratch, the plastic just deforms slightly and leaves a pock mark.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm on my 2nd G and I have NO complaints about mechanical quality, but my wife's Lexus is definitely nicer as far as the interior goes.

If you want a nice interior - buy a Lexus. If you want performance, overlook the superficial BS and get the Infiniti. My chief complaint is the soft as a baby's butt paint - I have more chips than the snack aisle in the grocery store.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS
I'm on my 2nd G and I have NO complaints about mechanical quality, but my wife's Lexus is definitely nicer as far as the interior goes.

If you want a nice interior - buy a Lexus. If you want performance, overlook the superficial BS and get the Infiniti. My chief complaint is the soft as a baby's butt paint - I have more chips than the snack aisle in the grocery store.

I agree.. Paint isn't great and the Malbec Black is a full-time job! The interior on my 2012 seems to be up to par. My wife has a newer Acura MDX, the interior inside my IPL is nicer. I'm coming from a 350z with cheap plastic interior so the G looks amazing to me.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To be honest the quality of the G isn't that up to par considering its counterparts. I had Acuras and Lexus a couple years back. And I decided to give Infiniti a try and came over from a Lexus, although I love the G, it's the little things that brings the car down in quality score. I noticed that the panels gaps aren't as even as a Lex and the fit and finish isn't quite there also...
Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,723 Likes on 3,528 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS
If you want a nice interior - buy a Lexus. If you want performance, overlook the superficial BS and get the Infiniti.
I was about to say the exact same thing. There's very little about the interior of the G that strikes me as luxurious. The Lexus IS does that so much better than the G37. (For that matter, so does the Nissan Maxima.) Fortunately for me, my priorities are for RWD, 6MT, and Performance. The interior is good enough, but I really don't care so much as to make a fuss about it.

I suspect the new Q50 has raised the bar on interior appeal... just like the Second Gen G35/G37 improved over the first Gen G35, and that over the old G20.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
My 2012 is holding up well. Only complaint is have a creak in my center console...other than that, the interior materials in the 2012 and 2013 are far different than years before 2010.

I have sat in my friends 07 G, and his door panels are thinner, lighter, and a different texture.

The interior in the G isnt the best of the best, but in my opinion, it is a very nice and purposeful design that certainly holds its luxury, but it is not the bar-raiser.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
mikec442
Registered Member

My steering wheel bezel was replaced under warranty last week. I had 56K on my '09, and it wasn't anywhere as bad as the one in the pic.

The ticket had a $10 charge for the part and .6 hours labor billed to Infiniti for mine.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:29 PM
1SMOKEYG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
personally, the quality to me is fine. Luxurious enough, maybe not as "heavy" on some parts as my old beemer, but I like it. I'm a high mileage driver (45k miles in 2 years/2mos) and the only rattles I have are from the creaking of the suspension going up the driveway or speed bumps (still trying to figure what it is exactly). my only complaint is the nav screen/system - could've been better like the beemer.

But go on the beemer/audi/etc forums and you get the same types of complaints. Plus, everyone treats there cars differently. I transport my 68 lb. pitbull terrier in my back seats and I don't see any wear and tear (yet, crossing my fingers). I"m an LA guy so if I don't hear rattles and loose parts yet, that's a passing grade on fit and quality, to me at least...
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
When I purchased my '08 in January, the dealer changed out the steering wheel plastic and the interior door handles. I believe that the new one's will last much longer.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
PM-Performance

To OP:
I can tell you for certain since I just traded in my IS300 for my G. . . . Lexus is no better on that peeling. I dont care what car it is, if it has that coating, it will peel.
Half of the IS300 dash is that coated crap and my dash looked horrible!!!!

That being said, my 09 has 56k on it and is immaculate. But I know from experience to try not to touch or **** with those coated parts as much as I can.

That being said, i think the interior of the G is fairly nice. I have owned many many cars in my day. Out of the more lux cars, I would have to say my Volvo and Infiniti were of some of the best overall interiors. BMW's with all the packages are next. They are bland as hell though unless you package them.

Last edited by PM-Performance; 03-11-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If your car is under warranty Infiniti should replace it or have them fix it before taking delivery. I recently had mine replaced. I told the advisor that I noticed on the newer models that rubberized piece is hard plastic and if they could switch it out. I showed him how it is rubbing off. He looked at it, said ok, and it was fixed in under an hour.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,723 Likes on 3,528 Posts
Maybe if I scrape that stuff away, then I'll discover a properly black steering wheel underneath?

(Sigh) That would be nice.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Surprisingly, the trim on my 2010 is not peeling or scratched at all. But I do have the annoying squeaks and rattles from the center console, dash, and rear deck. Oh, and somewhere around the passenger door/seat area that I can't figure out.

Quick Reply: Infiniti quality still lacking?