G37 Sedan

Infiniti quality still lacking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Who ever previously owned that car must have rested their thumbs there (and from the looks of it, had a nervous condition). My 2009 is still relatively in perfect condition. That being said, those rubberized pieces are problematic on all cars, and it seems like 90% (number pulled from my butt) of modern cars use the rubberized plastic somewhere.

Side note: Those pieces seem like ideal candidates to hydro-dip if/when they ever do peel.

Last edited by Redpit; 03-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM
INFINITI G37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BLamb
My biggest complaint is the soft plastic they used on the front bumper, seems like everything (big bugs, rocks, etc..) puts an indention in the bumper. Doesn't always scratch, the plastic just deforms slightly and leaves a pock mark.

WOOOOOW.. That is soooo true..

but u know what I did.. I re-painted the front bumper at my dealership and requested to give it more of the clear coat that they normally do.. still awaiting the results
Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
MY G37 sedan is 1 1/2 years old and the only complaint I have is that it's noisy on the highway. That could be the tires and my 18" wheels. I have no complaint with the tranny or the interior. It's only a car and it's not worth stressing yourselves out over.
Worry about the important things. If you don't like the g, buy a different car.
'
Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 PM
LeftyTurner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The steering wheel trim on my used 2009 looked similar to that when I purchased it last year. The fix was covered under warranty.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I think every car forum there is has an "our paint sucks" thread, lol.

"Quality" means a lot of things...the OP uses quality the way way do, meaning meeting expectations as a product, not things that are more what I would call "grade" (e.g. real wood is not higher quality than fake, its higher grade).

My observations after not quite two months on a used car:

-The metal trim on the door: a hopeless cause against seat belt buckle dings. Looks cool bad bad placement,
-Windshield/cowl rattle like everyone else. Pretty easy to mitigate. WTF couldn't Nissan fix it?
-Console squeak is my next target for destruction.
-The leather is only OK, but then that is more of a grade thing than quality.
-Paint is no worse than any other since they outlawed CFC propellants/solvents
-Switchgear is better than honda/acura - again, more of a grade than quality thing. Either one makes the blinkers go, the infiniti one just feels better.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel350
So I'm still shopping to buy a used 2010 G37 sedan and I seem to be finding alot of used Infiniti's where the interiors are just scratch up to hell and look like garbage. This is kind of a concern to me if i plan on having the car for the long term. Are you guys finding quality issues with your Infiniti? I'm not worried at all about the reliability of the car since I know it's a pretty reliable car but it just seems that Infiniti is still lacking in the quality department and is still not on par with Lexus. I've seen 10 yr old Lexus interior's holding up better than Infiniti.
You may not have a problem if you drove an Infiniti just like a Lexus.

I recall long times ago someone asked why Japanese cars last so much longer than their American counter parts. Aside being apparent that Japanese built better cars, another reason that people conveniently forgot but also had a major impact was because Japanese car owners tend to take much better care of their cars.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My recently turned in 10 had quite a few squeaks from the center console....always had them. I also had issues with the rear deck rattle that I fixed by stuffing some insulation around the third brake light. No interior wear issues whatsoever in 30,000 miles including the stone colored seats. My new 13 is tight right now...but only has 850 miles.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Japan makes better cars because of quality control.

America: It works well when we build it like this...

Japan: It works best when we build it like this...

They have W. Edwards Deming to thank for that.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Diesel350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm also seeing several G37's that were previously commercial vehicles which is a major turn off. Not sure I want to buy a commercial vehicle that was probably completely abused.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel350
Not sure I want to buy a commercial vehicle that was probably completely abused.
Be sure it was utterly abused.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM
MyG37xS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have my G coupe for 1 month and somehow I see little scratches and I try to baby it as much as possible. Very disturbing that they scratch up so easily.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
-Paint is no worse than any other since they outlawed CFC propellants/solvents
Paint in general is much more chip & scratch prone than before the low VOC requirements, but Infiniti paint is particularly fragile in that regard. It may not be the worst of all car brands but it's on a lower rung for sure. I've got an 08 Sonata Limited that has been through at least as much as my 07 G35 and the paint still looks very close to showroom fresh, the 07 and now my 09 G37 are inundated w/ chips

Something seems lacking in their primer to base metal bond or the brittle nature of the paint to cause chips to just fly off the car

Other than that I really love my last 2 Gs.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:36 PM
clayjk

I have to agree with several others before me, the biggest quality issue I see is the paint. I cannot believe just how easily it scratches. Owned my 2012 for 3 months and I already have some shallow scratched from using a snow brush on it. I will take some blame that I likely not being as gentile as I should've been, but still, I never had a car that scratched soo easily.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 PM
PM-Performance

Originally Posted by blnewt

Something seems lacking in their primer to base metal bond or the brittle nature of the paint to cause chips to just fly off the car

Thats funny you say that because I was giving my G the first clean since I got it in the sunlight and hand dry to see the flaws.
#1 I didnt realize how many freaking rock chips were on it.
#2 I have a few scratches that looks like a cat scratched it. I tried to polish out, but too deep. Looking at from an angle though, looks like a bunch of surface scratches that need to be buffed out good when it gets nice out
#3 and the worst of them all. Looks like where the bumper meets the fender if you look hard enough, you can see some primer spots. My guess it from the rubbing over the years, the paint started to chip or wear off.
Its not huge and you really need to be nitpicky with this one, but none the less it scares me.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by 00Max00
Be sure it was utterly abused.
Lol, oh and they were utterly abused. Went to the dealership to take a look at the car for giggles and for only having 33,000 miles the car looked like total garbage, tins of scratches and dents in the paint and the interior was trashed. Can't believe the were asking $30k for the car and then the salesman proceeds to tell me "oh yea we can fix that". Lol

Quick Reply: Infiniti quality still lacking?