Vinyl wrapped grille and new pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
I think I stole one of Rochester's pics and edited in paint haha
Yes, that's what you did. Blacking out the web, eh? Interesting idea.

Here's another take on what you're trying to represent:

The problem I see here is in introducing sharp, distinct lines on an otherwise curved surface. IDK, BLamb. However, it is a unique look, and somewhat approximates the S-Coupe rims.

I've also thought about wrapping the rear valence in matte black.
Well you already know I support that idea. Love that look on my car.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-26-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Yea, I've been debating blacking out the web since I got the car. Even bought a can of plastidip to see what it would look like but have decided against using that. After using the Vinyl on the grille, the idea came up again, easy enough to peel off if it doesn't look right. Thanks for the much better picture than my MS paint attempt haha.

Blnewt, how'd your vinyl hold up on your old set of rims?

I've been debating the valence back and forth, I'm somewhat considering the autokits x valence and painting it matte black but I'm not 100% sold on it. The vinyl does look good on your car, I'm just not sure how I like it on the graphite shadow color I have. I really prefer the 07-09 style rear bumper with the more squared valence.

Decisions decisions, one day I'll get bored and probably just go for it just to see how it looks. One of the nice things about vinyl.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I really prefer the 07-09 style rear bumper with the more squared valence.
Absolutely. If ever I get (gently) rear-ended, I'm going to insist on a 2007-2009 rear bumper.

You should get the BlueBat pre-cut vinyl for your rear end.

Oh, and I was studying the front grille this afternoon in the context of what you've done here. I really do prefer the idea of only going metallic black on the slats, rather than to the crease left/right & bottom. So that's my new plan: just the slats, and in metallic black.

Good thing I do this stuff with glacial intent. It gives me opportunity like this to reconsider and reconfigure plans.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:29 PM
g37flamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice but isnt every one wrapping in black why no one is trying new colors
Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Absolutely. If ever I get (gently) rear-ended, I'm going to insist on a 2007-2009 rear bumper.
When I got rear ended, I considered this option. But you loose the rear parking sensors. I'm sure you can custom fit the holes, but didn't feel like dealing with that.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by g37flamer
nice but isnt every one wrapping in black why no one is trying new colors
Have at it, flamer. See a need, fill a need.

Originally Posted by sniper27
When I got rear ended, I considered this option. But you loose the rear parking sensors. I'm sure you can custom fit the holes, but didn't feel like dealing with that.
You mean they're in a different location? I didn't know that. I also didn't know the bumper skins came both with and without holes. I just assumed the holes were stamped as needed during manufacturing. IDK why I thought that.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Sorry Blamb, but slightly derailing thread but it's still about vinyl wrapped grills so hope it's okay

I forgot I had a 3M sample pack w/ just about every 1080 Scotchprint they make. I took a couple pics of some of the colors I'm thinking about and I'm really liking the brushed black metallic. What you said about the gloss metallic black you used being just a bit off may end up looking like I tried to match the OB paint and came up short. I think the brushed might be just enough difference to give a better look. I also think it would look good on the rear valence (for my Obsidian black).

The carbon vinyl mishap may have been caused by a small air bubble that just happened to be in the exact spot of the rock impact, I'm thinking having air on both sides of the wrap may have caused it to become brittle since I have a couple other rock impacts against the grill that were fine.

Blamb, the wheel vinyl held up great, obviously if you wrap all the way to the outer rim edge you'll have to be extra careful for any curb rashing. Other than that it's a great way to change the wheel look on a budget and it looks like a nice powder coat. From Rochesters' excellent photoshop that would be a perfect use for wheel vinyl as you wouldn't have any vinyl on the outer rim where rash & changing tires will gouge it.
You could make a single template and just cut out a bunch of insets for those wheels. Always best to keep the vinyl as unstretched as possible, the only real issues I've ever had w/ vinyl were in areas that were stretched or places where I had to reapply it a few times.

At any rate, appreciate any thoughts on this from you guys and of course you can return to BLambs topic (sorry)

Last edited by blnewt; 02-26-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM
sniper27

Have at it, flamer. See a need, fill a need.

You mean they're in a different location? I didn't know that. I also didn't know the bumper skins came both with and without holes. I just assumed the holes were stamped as needed during manufacturing. IDK why I thought that.
well, the parking sensors were not an option prior to 2010.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Sorry Blamb, but slightly derailing thread but it's still about vinyl wrapped grills so hope it's okay

I forgot I had a 3M sample pack w/ just about every 1080 Scotchprint they make. I took a couple pics of some of the colors I'm thinking about and I'm really liking the brushed black metallic. What you said about the gloss metallic black you used being just a bit off may end up looking like I tried to match the OB paint and came up short. I think the brushed might be just enough difference to give a better look. I also think it would look good on the rear valence (for my Obsidian black).

Always best to keep the vinyl as unstretched as possible, the only real issues I've ever had w/ vinyl were in areas that were stretched or places where I had to reapply it a few times.

No problem at all, it's a thread on vinyl wraps so discuss away. That brushed black metallic is interesting. I think it'd look great on the grille. Only concern would be stretching it between the slats. Since I noticed some slight distortion with the black metallic, I wonder how the "brushed" finish would look when heated and stretched. I think a good way for us to give input on the look of a diffuser/front lip would be to place that sample on the hood and take a picture of the contrast. I think it has potential to look good, just having trouble imagining it.

Your note about not stretching the vinyl hopefully doesn't apply to the grille, because I stretched that out pretty good haha. We'll see how well it holds up over time, no issues yet after a week and a half and a car wash.

I might cut out a template and try out the vinyl on one wheel and see what I think. Won't happen for a while, maybe a spring project. Appreciate you sharing your expertise and experience on the subject!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by sniper27
well, the parking sensors were not an option prior to 2010.
Backup sensors didn't happen until 2010? That's hard to believe.

I mean, you researched it, so you'd know. But still, that's a long time for Infiniti to get on board.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:44 PM
sniper27

Backup sensors didn't happen until 2010? That's hard to believe.

I mean, you researched it, so you'd know. But still, that's a long time for Infiniti to get on board.
Right? Let's see how long it takes for them to get onboard with FRONT sensors (for this country at least). I'm not sure if the new Q will have them.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
No problem at all, it's a thread on vinyl wraps so discuss away. That brushed black metallic is interesting. I think it'd look great on the grille. Only concern would be stretching it between the slats. Since I noticed some slight distortion with the black metallic, I wonder how the "brushed" finish would look when heated and stretched. I think a good way for us to give input on the look of a diffuser/front lip would be to place that sample on the hood and take a picture of the contrast. I think it has potential to look good, just having trouble imagining it.

Your note about not stretching the vinyl hopefully doesn't apply to the grille, because I stretched that out pretty good haha. We'll see how well it holds up over time, no issues yet after a week and a half and a car wash.

I might cut out a template and try out the vinyl on one wheel and see what I think. Won't happen for a while, maybe a spring project. Appreciate you sharing your expertise and experience on the subject!
I did place the samples on the body to see if the difference was very noticeable and in some light is was OK but in sunlight it was pretty noticeable. The brushed metallic has more of a dull finish so it had the contrast I was hoping for. The brushed metallic has the brush strokes all going in the same direction so I think the most noticeable front of the grill would be easy to keep it all uniform. The stretched under-slats might be a bit distorted but not really visible so I'm not too worried in that regard.

the only real issues regarding stretching was stretching too much and having a flush cut, or on taillight overlays where you stretch and apply but then have to lift, stretch more, then reapply, basically working the vinyl too much. I doubt you'll have any issues w/ your grill. The problems I ran into were on mirror covers that I cut flush rather than wrapping the vinyl under the cover and overlays that were pulled to much and creased up.
Nice that we can all learn a thing or two along the way, look forward to seeing those wheels if you give it a shot, that one really has potential to change the look in a nice way
You could even use yellow vinyl and make them true duck feet
Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 AM
Bota36
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
That metallic looks good. I never even knew it was an option. Great job BLamb!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 AM
INFINITI G37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
niiiice
Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
WOW! That looks clean!!!

Quick Reply: Vinyl wrapped grille and new pictures