G37 Sedan

Problems when filling gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Edward41890

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems when filling gas

Hey I recently purchased a G and I've noticed when I was filling up that sometimes the trigger for the gas will stop even though the tank is not full. What I mean by this is all the other trucks and cars I've driven doesn't seem to have this problem. Normally when I fill up gas in a vehicle I press the grade I want and hold the trigger down, I do not put it on the latch that holds the trigger down by itself, so when the trigger pops/stops that means the tank is full. That's how it is all the time with my other cars.

Since I got the car the first time I filled the tank it stopped roughly halfway before the tank filled but I knew it could take more so I held it down again which then stopped when it was full. Note I was at a quarter of a tank

Second time I filled the tank it did the same thing again.

Now today was my third time filling this car, and I was roughly under half a tank I was trying to go somewhere far and wanted to make sure I had a full tank.
So I started to pump and it stopped halfway again, and I tried to fill it some more but it would keep on stopping like the tank is full, and I hopped in my car and it was only a little over 3/4 of a tank.

I find this really weird and was wondering if anyone else had this problem or understand what I might be doing wrong.

Some information: all three times I filled was at the same Mobil station but at three different pumps, and I am using 93 octane.

I've gone to this gas station many times before but I not all the time, normally I go to no name brand gas stations for gas station for my other cars
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
I had this problem before. I was filling up my car with the remainder of a gift card and when I had finished off the gift card I swiped my debit card to top off my tank and it wouldn't put any gas in. I know the tank wasn't full, maybe at half a tank. I ended up putting $ 0.34 in my car before I gave up. I went across town to run errands and it still didn't want to fill up. The next day I tried again and I had no problem. I'm not exactly sure what it could be, but I only have that problem whenever I do split payments for gas.

My mothers Jetta had a similar problem and it was a bad fuel sensor in the tank that had to be replaced. That could better explain your problem.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 AM
strictlys

I had the same issue.... I tried a different pump then it was fine? Not sure what was wrong, but it doesnt work too well since I do drive to empty on occasions.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Have you over-filled your tank before? If so you may have damaged the vapor recovery system.

Or... the gas stations vapor recovery on that pump are damaged. I have had it happen a few times, too, at different pumps.

It's rare, but it still happens on occasion.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Edward41890

I always pay cash, so I know it's not a problem with money, when I was test driving this car they've had it on empty with like five miles left before tank was done.

I'll try a diff gas station to see, I only trust Mobil and shell gas stations
Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 AM
therustytrombon

Turn the nozzle upside down.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:37 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine does this too sometimes, it's really annoying.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by therustytrombon
Turn the nozzle upside down.
This works...seriously it does.

My daughter's Mazda3 has this issue. But it doesn't shut off at half and full...it shuts off about 100x if you don't let the gas trickle in. If you put the nozzle in upside down - all is well.

Not exactly sure of the issue or how to fix it. I've heard the vapor recovery system may be blocked - and/or the charcoal canister may be clogged - but nothing definitive.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have this issue on the g on certain pumps and also on other manufacturers cars in the past. It's annoying to say the least.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
When this happens...

make sure the pump has stopped pumping**

pull out the nozzle

wait a second or two

place nozzle back in the fill neck.

squeeze handle.

always worked for me.

I have had this problem with various cars in the past
Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine's done the same thing since new. Seems to happen on the gas pumps that can pump faster. Only really happens at one gas station and certain pumps at that gas station.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Yeah I've had this happen too. It used to happen on my old g35 constantly, and occasionally happens to my 37. I find if you just pull it out about an inch that it will fill with no problems.

As MACS pointed out it could be due to the fuel vapor system. They can be damaged by simply topping off the gas.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM
samps

Guys, our 08 sedan had this issue and there is a tsb for it which apparently fixes the issue.

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1SC29.pdf

Haven't experienced the issue since having the tsb done.

Edit: Don't know if this applies to 09+ models...
Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 PM
alex

It's good i saw this thread. I came up to report the same problem.

I've always being going to a Chaveron near my home. Looks like in the past 3 months or so, I have more and more of this issue.

I'm going to the dealership soon for for noise and rattle. I'll bring it up to the technician too. I'll come back to share what they have to say about it.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
show him this page ^ i have the same issue too...and mine's a 2013. my 2010 sedan also had the same issue. twisting the nozzle sideways didn't work either.

Quick Reply: Problems when filling gas