G37 Sedan

Torque - no, not that kind..

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Torque - no, not that kind..

I just installed an android app named Torque. More info here: Torque

You need a BT OBD adapter - but they are relatively cheap one Amazon and other places.

This thing gives you an incredible amount of information. Want to know the temperature of your catalytic converter - check, got that. Everything from revs to exact coolant temp to fault codes (checking and clearing) to just about anything else you can think of.

As a result of all this info as well as having a GPS and accelerometer at it's service (via the phone) - it can also measure 0-60 and estimate bhp to the rear wheels.

I have just scratched the surface - but plan on enjoying this new toy.

Just sharing - I know at least one other person on the board has it. Definitely worth the small $$ purchase!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Can't find it in the iTunes App Store.

Any idea what it's called in there. Just want to check it out
Old 02-09-2013, 07:58 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
I just installed an android app named Torque. More info here: Torque

You need a BT OBD adapter - but they are relatively cheap one Amazon and other places.

This thing gives you an incredible amount of information. Want to know the temperature of your catalytic converter - check, got that. Everything from revs to exact coolant temp to fault codes (checking and clearing) to just about anything else you can think of.

As a result of all this info as well as having a GPS and accelerometer at it's service (via the phone) - it can also measure 0-60 and estimate bhp to the rear wheels.

I have just scratched the surface - but plan on enjoying this new toy.

Just sharing - I know at least one other person on the board has it. Definitely worth the small $$ purchase!
Any good and cheap BT OBD adapter? the torque website has a list but they are mostly ~$150
Old 02-09-2013, 08:49 PM
MalbecG37S

Originally Posted by kanariya
Any good and cheap BT OBD adapter? the torque website has a list but they are mostly ~$150
That is the one they 'like' or suggest....but you can pick one up for @$20 from amazon.

Something like this:
Here is one for $16.95 Here is one for $16.95

Others are avail - just search.

They suggest the 'MX' chipped readers - they are faster - maybe that has a small effect when gathering real-time data - not sure. But...any good and cheap BT OBD2 adapter works...
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Lokosis
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
That is the one they 'like' or suggest....but you can pick one up for @$20 from amazon.

Something like this: Here is one for $16.95

Others are avail - just search.

They suggest the 'MX' chipped readers - they are faster - maybe that has a small effect when gathering real-time data - not sure. But...any good and cheap BT OBD2 adapter works...
That's the one I purchased a while back. Only bad side of getting the cheap ones, is there's a tiny delay between your actions and data coming into the phone. But other than that fun little toy to keep you busy for a while.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 PM
MalbecG37S

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
Can't find it in the iTunes App Store.

Any idea what it's called in there. Just want to check it out
Sorry - evidently this is not avail for the iPhone. Kind-of surprising if you ask me...
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was doing research on which obd2 adapter works for our car. I had it in my amazon cart until I restarted by PC. I dont remember which has the better chip. I think either the one from BrainyDeal or AGPtek. Honestly cant remember. Please do a research before you pull the trigger. Some are better than others, some not compatible with certain car and some slow to update via bluetooth. Also suggest getting the mini so you dont hit it when you get out of car.

Amazon.com: AGPtek® Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD-II CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Scanner Tool: Electronics Amazon.com: AGPtek® Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD-II CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Scanner Tool: Electronics
Old 02-09-2013, 11:05 PM
MalbecG37S

FYI - the original reason I investigated and subsequently purchased this was due to my daughter's car. About a month or so ago, she told me her check engine light was on. I asked if she put her gas cap on tight - of course she did. There was nothing obvious wrong with the car. So.....I called the local dealer (Mazda) to see if they would read it. Sure they would - $129. I said 'FOR WHAT!? This could be as simple as a faulty gas cap!'. So I moved on and called a local reputable shop. They would do it for $89. So - we took the car to Autozone where they read it for free. Thermostat was stuck open or sensor was bad. Light shut off all by itself the next day. OK....

But - in that process, I told myself there MUST be a better way. Technology has advanced to the point where I should be able to read this myself with relatively cheap hardware. I found TORQUE, BT OBD2 readers (which I didn't know existed) - and an absolute wealth of information.

Very cool and useful toy IMO.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:09 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I got the Kiwi, it was the only one i could get working. The other cheaper alternatives never worked reliably, others didn't communicate at all. Good app though.

Here's my mini-review -- Torque OBD App & PLK Kiwi Mini-Review
Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
^^I agree. Had issues with the cheap amazon $20 BT dongles. I have the plx kiwi bt too.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered a mini BT scanner from Amazon. Do you guys keep yours plugged in your G all the time?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Roman G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, i had it on my maxima. havent used it on the g yet.

Cool toy, if you are a programmer or have an understanding of computer languages, you can write your own PDIs to pull and export data from the OBD2 port. Clearing codes on my maxima worked flawless.

I have the 20 dollar ebay one. Never any issues between that and my phone (Sprint EVO 4G)

So many feaures, its a great app. They have a forum dedicated specifically to tourqe. Custom features, maps, skins, colors and bling bling. I believe you can even request a custom PID if you want to monitor something thats not in the menu.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
Anyone try the newer versions of torque with the nissan pdi support? From the forums it appears it requires a special odb dongle. Any luck with the generic ones?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

I ordered the AGPtek. Will report back if it works on infiniti 2009 sedan.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM
ilyas

Worked great on my Subaru with a cheap amazon BT adapter.

Quick Reply: Torque - no, not that kind..