G37 Sedan

Exec Says Nissan Considered Killing Infiniti.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I understand that you are one of the rational minded people who opted and made the smarter decision... You're right BMW might win next time but im sure you won't be buying because of the badge and you probably won't be in one of the lesser models... Just making an assumption.... So in some way you made my point... When you do decide to make the jump is when you will be willing to pay the premium which BMW and Audi seem to charge and actually get a machine...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothin2Somethin
if I'm going to buy a bmw it sure as hell won't be a 328 or 528.... And that being because i am a car enthusiast and know that those cars don't offer much performance wise, its a waste of time.
The N20 engine in the 328 and 528 is actually stronger than the VQ37VHR engine where it counts - the N20 has about 10% more torque at low and mid RPMs (up to 5000 RPMs). The 328 is also about 300 lbs lighter than the G37.

The 328 is such an excellent performer that it's hard to justify buying the 335. In fact, the 328 handles somewhat better than the 335 thanks to its lower weight and better weight distribution.

Last edited by visualguy; 01-28-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Nothin2Somethin

So a 328 is somehow transitioning into being a mid level sports sedan?? And worth 40k plus?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 AM
visualguy

So a 328 is somehow transitioning into being a mid level sports sedan?? And worth 40k plus?
Absolutely, in my opinion. Have you driven one? It's a fun car to drive, especially with manual transmission. Not as fun as the S4/S5 6MT, but more enjoyable overall than the G37S 6MT in my experience.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 AM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree that average Joe is buying a BMW because its a BMW. Does that mean everyone buys that way, no. But a good portion of the stripped BMWs you see riding around were bought just because it was a BMW. People typically tell themselves, one day I'm gonna get a BMW, and they go in the dealer after working hard for years and finally think they can afford it, they start to see the prices and the expectations slowly drop, and they settle for a 328i or a 528i because thats what they can afford. Is that a bad thing, not at all, to a certain extent that happens with Infiniti too. But at the same time, that BMW badge means so much that they won't take the time to look at a competitor like the Infiniti G and realize how much they could get features wise for the same price with more HP. But to some people, that doesn't matter.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 AM
visualguy

Originally Posted by nisslover
But at the same time, that BMW badge means so much that they won't take the time to look at a competitor like the Infiniti G and realize how much they could get features wise for the same price with more HP. But to some people, that doesn't matter.
There are pros and cons - it isn't that simple. The G may come better equipped for the price, but it's also 300 lbs heavier than the 328i, and the G engine has less torque in low and mid RPMs. The higher HP happens only above 5000 RPMs which is irrelevant for most people. For example, I never rev my G37 (or any of my cars) that high.

If you care most about features for the money, you may choose the G, but if you care most about performance and handling, you may choose the BMW.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
There are pros and cons - it isn't that simple. The G may come better equipped for the price, but it's also 300 lbs heavier than the 328i, and the G engine has less torque in low and mid RPMs. The higher HP happens only above 5000 RPMs which is irrelevant for most people. For example, I never rev my G37 (or any of my cars) that high.

If you care most about features for the money, you may choose the G, but if you care most about performance and handling, you may choose the BMW.
Absolutely. I don't get the BMW envy. I don't understand those who believe there is a mentality of condescending thoughts called badge buying. BMW worked hard to produce a good street machine, they are pricey, but you can either afford one or you can't. Such is life.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Nothin2Somethin

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Absolutely. I don't get the BMW envy. I don't understand those who believe there is a mentality of condescending thoughts called badge buying. BMW worked hard to produce a good street machine, they are pricey, but you can either afford one or you can't. Such is life.
Come on man, no BMW envy a few posts back I told you I actually like BMW but it seems that you have been living under a rock or just have not paid attention to the sort of superiority exuded by those driving a bmw and its not even an m variant, lmao kills me you saying you dont understand those who believe there is a mentality of condescending thoughts called badge buying, it exists my friend...Obviously many people here can afford a BMW as the 328 is pretty much the same price aa a g so you saying either u can afford one or not really has no substance.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I don't understand those who believe there is a mentality of condescending thoughts called badge buying.
Surely you know it exists, cars are only a higher ticket item in this line of thought. Just take a quick look at ladies fashion, it seems crazy to me that one would pay $300 for a Louis Vuitton wallet when a seemingly equal item at JC Penny cost $30. How many Hyundai Genesis have you seen w/ that "wing badge" replacing the Hyundai "H" on the trunk? That would be "badge hiding", so sure this stuff exists everywhere you look. Look how many Lexus IS250s are out there, it's a dolled up Corolla for the most part but it does get them into the "Lexus" club. I bet I see 40 IS250s for every one IS350 (which is a much nicer car than the 250 hands-down).
The new 328s are a great overall drive but it's naive to say that a lot people buying the most basic BMW aren't doing so just to be in the club, it DOES exist, and not at all uncommon.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Nothin2Somethin

Exactly blnewt as I said before and everyone can do it because I've seen it, take a look at all the 3 series you see on the road lets say for a week and compare how many are 328's as compared to 335i, 335is, m3... You will all get a laugh, just like you said with the is250 and is350...
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Surely you know it exists, cars are only a higher ticket item in this line of thought. Just take a quick look at ladies fashion, it seems crazy to me that one would pay $300 for a Louis Vuitton wallet when a seemingly equal item at JC Penny cost $30. How many Hyundai Genesis have you seen w/ that "wing badge" replacing the Hyundai "H" on the trunk? That would be "badge hiding", so sure this stuff exists everywhere you look. Look how many Lexus IS250s are out there, it's a dolled up Corolla for the most part but it does get them into the "Lexus" club. I bet I see 40 IS250s for every one IS350 (which is a much nicer car than the 250 hands-down).
The new 328s are a great overall drive but it's naive to say that a lot people buying the most basic BMW aren't doing so just to be in the club, it DOES exist, and not at all uncommon.
The reason that IS250 is more popular because until last year, only the IS250 had the AWD version. The IS350 was only RWD. If you live in the Northeast, buying a RWD car is pointless. Infiniti doesn't even offer the RWD G models in the Northeast.

The price difference between a 328 and a 335 is pretty significant, especially if you want the AWD version of each. Also, the MPG suffers when you go bigger in the engine, which many people hate. Not many people race, so the 250/328 is good enough for them. They perform solid already and it only takes like a second or two more to reach 60mph...not that big of a deal.

As for wallets, it is to show that you have money to spend on stuff like that, just like cars. Name brand is a huge deal in America. As people get older, many of them want to show off their successes, so they buy nicer items.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 01-29-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Exactly blnewt as I said before and everyone can do it because I've seen it, take a look at all the 3 series you see on the road lets say for a week and compare how many are 328's as compared to 335i, 335is, m3... You will all get a laugh, just like you said with the is250 and is350...
But in reality, most people don't race or track their cars, and the 250/328 goes fast enough already. You can easily push over 100mph in these cars. Most people aren't willing to spend money on performance upgrades.

The people on here are the minority who care about performance and do mods on their vehicles.

Plus, it's not like they're going to be happier accelerating the car faster but still have to drive the speed limit, while losing MPG.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
The reason that IS250 is more popular because until last year, only the IS250 had the AWD version.
Name brand is a huge deal in America. As people get older, many of them want to show off their successes, so they buy nicer items.
I'm in the southwest desert, little AWD sales here, but I do see about a 40:1 sales difference in IS250s vs 350s, all I'm saying is people that want to "move up" and consider buying a higher end brand (not necessarily a high end car) will just buy what they can to get their foot in the door. The IS 250 is the best example of a car that has the luxury nameplate but is otherwise a pretty poor vehicle. The BMW is a much better car in every way, but for those just wanting to have a Bimmer in their driveway it gets them in the door. And yes, these folks do exist.
It's funny how many threads around here take a turn down BMW lane.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Come on man, no BMW envy a few posts back I told you I actually like BMW but it seems that you have been living under a rock or just have not paid attention to the sort of superiority exuded by those driving a bmw and its not even an m variant, lmao kills me you saying you dont understand those who believe there is a mentality of condescending thoughts called badge buying, it exists my friend...Obviously many people here can afford a BMW as the 328 is pretty much the same price aa a g so you saying either u can afford one or not really has no substance.
I really don't know what you are referring to. I can understand you think people buy like that, but I have never seen this in real life. Only on forums.

Maybe I live under a rock, or maybe I'm older and wiser and don't give a crap about the underlying psychology of said car buyers.

I'm here to discuss the cars, not the people who buy cars.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The N20 engine in the 328 and 528 is actually stronger than the VQ37VHR engine where it counts - the N20 has about 10% more torque at low and mid RPMs (up to 5000 RPMs). The 328 is also about 300 lbs lighter than the G37.

The 328 is such an excellent performer that it's hard to justify buying the 335. In fact, the 328 handles somewhat better than the 335 thanks to its lower weight and better weight distribution.
The N20 sucks. Anyone who honestly likes the N20 engine over is the VQ37 is drinking the BMW kool aid. It sounds like a tractor at idle, the exhaust sounds like my Roomba vacuum cleaner when pushed, and IT does not have nearly the same power. I don't care what the torque graph shows at 2500rpm, the 328i didn't put me back in the seat nearly as much as the G. The N20 is here for fuel economy reasons, nothing more. It's not an improvement in driving or excitement, or in an enthusiast's point of view it's worse than the N52 I6 it replaced and any other decent V6 on the market. I considered the new 328i carefully but it a big step down from the G overall. The interior sucks (just compare dash and touch materials and the new seats to the G - you'll see what i mean) and to get decent options you're looking at $45k+, which at that price point it's really not a competitive car. It's only competitive because some people will pay more, simply because it's a BMW.

With the F30 though, I think BMW has made the new 328 a hard pill to swallow.

I didn't find the ride and handling of the BMW to be *that* much more superior to the G, to justify living with the N20, ****ty interior, and paying $45k car for a car with barely any options (only premium and nav, which is what I test drove). If you want better mileage, the ATS is really a much better package considering price and interior than the BMW, and also handled just as well, if not better. And if you're looking at the 335i with any options, I find the Audi S4 a better buy as well.

Quick Reply: Exec Says Nissan Considered Killing Infiniti.....