G37 Sedan

Exec Says Nissan Considered Killing Infiniti.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
Then they obviously got 40 morons with load of cash. The car is on built-per-order basics. $26,160,000, not a bad business at all.
Some people have nothing better to do with their money. I wouldn't necessarily call them morons...just not frugal.

If I had that kind of money where I'd be able to blow it on that hunk....I'd have a **** ton of other cars too.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Rad_Slinger

Originally Posted by Rochester
I agree, the larger problem is Nissan. They make really good quality vehicles, and should be a bigger player in the market.

However, if this were 10 years ago, I would have said dump Infiniti. At that point, their moment in the sun came and went with the Q45.
And if it were 30 years ago, we'd all be laughing at the crappy Datsuns they made haha on the bimmer or mustang forums.....
Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now let's just hope we don't get famous Audi reliability......
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I personally doubt that that seriously considered. Infiniti wasn't ever doing that bad since the G35 introduction. Before then I could see such a talk.

And just because Nissan is building cars you may not like doesn't mean they're struggling. They just had their best sales year ever with 1+ million sold. Some of you may think the Juke is ugly, initially I did too but now I like it, but it's selling even better than Nissan thought themselves and had caused the other manufacturers to take notice and they will all be coming out with their own take on it.With the new Altima, Sentra, Pathfinder, Versa Note and the New Rogue coming soon too Nissan is Def gonna start eating some market share.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
^ I like the Juke as it is a quite unique car and it glows. It needs more power, however, not the ridiculously priced GTR Juke, throw in a turbo and make it AWD. I may even consider to have one.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Have any of you ever driven a Juke? Unfortunately I have. I should have been named the Joke. It's is horrible in every conceivable way. An acquaintance who works at a dealership begged me to take it out for a test drive. I'd be impressed he said. I was. But not in a good way. First of all I'm only 6'2" and it was like getting into a go kart. There is not nearly enough leg or head room for a moderately tall person to drive safely. Secondly, it's butt ugly, inside and out. It looks like it was designed by and for 16 year old girls. Thirdly, it has zero power. Even with direct injection turbo this thing is glacially slow. I don't mean it's not fast, it it SLOW. Dumping $600K into something this terrible is criminal because it'll still be horrible. Just horrible and faster. It's the worst vehicle in Nissan's current lineup, including the Murano Crosscabriolet.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Rad_Slinger

I drove a juke when they came out a couple years ago. Was like driving a brick on marshmallows. No power, no handling, and the interior layout was like it was designed by a kindergarten class. I won't get into looks, because that's subjective...but it's fugly.

Sorry....I was just giving an example of Nissan stupidity. I didn't mean for this to turn into a juke bashing thread.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by nisslover
I personally doubt that that seriously considered. Infiniti wasn't ever doing that bad since the G35 introduction. Before then I could see such a talk.

And just because Nissan is building cars you may not like doesn't mean they're struggling. They just had their best sales year ever with 1+ million sold. Some of you may think the Juke is ugly, initially I did too but now I like it, but it's selling even better than Nissan thought themselves and had caused the other manufacturers to take notice and they will all be coming out with their own take on it.With the new Altima, Sentra, Pathfinder, Versa Note and the New Rogue coming soon too Nissan is Def gonna start eating some market share.
Well said^
Nissan/Infiniti has plenty of nice products, Infiniti seems to still be playing the funky crossover card a bit to heavily. The EX & FX are unique, but appeal to a much smaller market to have to rely on those sales to keep the money coming in. The Gs are really the only vehicle in their line that continually sell well, without them they'd be toast. They should have taken that cue and jumped on really bolstering the G lineup with a "true" IPL that would compete w/ the Ms and Audi S/RS
lines. They've got the big-boy technology/performance clearly demonstrated w/ the GT-R, applying that heritage over to Infiniti would have really solidified the brand. There seems to be a move in that direction w/ some of the things that have been quoted in the 2014 G thread but who knows how that will play out
At least Infiniti didn't completely lose its' way like Acura. Back in the 80s & early 90s Acura was really an exciting brand w/ the budget tuner Integra, classy Legend, sporty Vigor, and the way ahead of its' time NS-X, but really fell off the map w/ the CLs, TLs, RLs in comparison (not to mention the bottle opener beak in the current lineup).
I'm holding out hope
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
The article helps us understand why the delay for the Coupe. It appears want to make sure it i(and all in the lineup) is built to compete against the Germans in the long run even if that means not maximizing immediate sales volume.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
We can probably all agree the G is what is holding Infiniti together right now, maybe I am biased. The G has always been much better than what Acura or Lexus has to offer performance wise.

Although , I do recall about years back the FX was THE car to have as an SUV, people were opting for those over the X5. That time has come and gone. Infiniti never realized it or over milked that cow.
I still like Infiniti's over Lexus and Acura but I have to admit with minimal updates the 335 is starting to catch my eye lately.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
One car, by Nissan has been yet to be mentioned... the Murano convertible.. Why? I get trying to make the next big thing but that was a huge failure.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
You guys have to consider you drive G37's when it comes to the Juke. I am sure it does ride and handle like crap compared to the G37. Its a FWD jacked up hatchback with a high center of gravity. It handles well for what it is and it seems many think its fun to drive when not comparing it to a RWD 300+ hp sports sedan. Lol. Looks... I won't argue with you on that. I can see it being butt ugly to some... it is but I just like it for some reason. Lol. The Murano Convertible.... you have to try something new every once in a while. I give them credit for trying... but yeah, no. But that's no reason to write them off as a failure. One bum model. the fact that they had the money to even take that risk tells you they are making the bank they need to.

We also must not forget the fact that the QX56, oddly, is a consistent seller too! Before the JX, I think it was their #2 seller. But I do think they dropped the ball with the FX and EX. The FX looks AWESOME in FX50 fashion, but it looks rather frumpy without 20+ inch wheels. They fixed it a bit with the refresh, but it probably won't take off again until it is completely redesigned. The EX... way too small! The thing has less rear legroom than the G Coupe... really Infiniti? Otherwise it could have been a strong seller too. Once they redesign it with more usable room, I think it will be a good seller also.

One thing people don't realize is that Infiniti really just suffers from a lineup point of view. They don't have enough models and most of them are niche models. I am glad they finally brought the JX. They now have a 1, 2 punch with the G and JX sales wise... I mean Q50 and QX60. Lol. Now they just need another nice volume model and they will leap Audi again in sales. I mean if you take away the Toyota based RX and ES from Lexus, they really don't sell that well. There's a few bright spots like the LS but otherwise, their sales aren't remarkable. They just have a complete lineup.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
Of course it is....but the average Joe Schmoe won't have it. They'll most likely have the regular limp deek juke
Black Betty have to disagree with you, btw the term joke is played out.
For what it is it handles pretty darn good.
Acceleration is above average. Remember it's a 1.6 turbo not a 3.7 with boost.
It's fast enough to scared wife at 1/2 throttle.lol

It puts down 188whp Nissan underrated the motor.

It's alot quicker than the rdx turbo we had before this. Although it was a 1k lbs more.
Also runs 15lbs of boost stock & gets 35 mpg with awd cvt. All it really needs is to up the boost with a tune & that little thing is a quick little crossover.

Whoever said it handles like crap never drove the awd with torque vectoring.
It will be the future of Nissan awd, this I can tell you.

It's no Audi as far as the awd set up, it's only 25k.
Btw the Juke has smashed sales record for Nissan.
Was so impressed after I drove one, I bought one for my wife.

At 25k fully loaded with awd Direct injection with turbo, not to bad.

Say what you want about its looks its a good product.

Last edited by RISKY GUY; 01-25-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
The juke-r was built for the middle east oil rich consumers who pushed for it. Hence the 650k price tag. Because they are rich and they can. It's not for regular consumption lol.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know nothin 'bout history.....Don't know nothin 'bout Biology.....but what I do know is I see a lot of Nissans and Infinitis in the NY metro area. Rogues, Maximas, G37s, and M37s and of course, more Altimas than Camrys from what I observe. I'm starting to see a lot Fords and yes, even Buick LaCrosses....But New Yorkers are a very spoiled bunch... There are lot of recent vintage MBs, and Audis and of coourse, the winner: Bimmers...

PS: Also starting to see many Subarus ( I have a 2010 Legacy premium - my son's car), great value for the $$$$ - comfortable, good ride - more interior room than my 2010 G37X, an excellent AWD system. It has it's Cons, but for $19,500 [purchased as a CPO in 2/11 with 7500 miles], serves a great purpose.

Quick Reply: Exec Says Nissan Considered Killing Infiniti.....