G37 Sedan

Low resale value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
I took my G to a local dealership this past week to see about getting something with a little more fuel efficiency and a lower monthly payment and they offered me $21,700 for my '09 xS with 40,500 miles on my car. I was a little shocked to receive such a low offer, I kind of expexted a low ball offer but wasn't expecting something that low. Oh well.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
CrackHeadMonsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next one for me is a Lexus resale value allday!!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by My'09G37X
I took my G to a local dealership this past week to see about getting something with a little more fuel efficiency and a lower monthly payment and they offered me $21,700 for my '09 xS with 40,500 miles on my car. I was a little shocked to receive such a low offer, I kind of expexted a low ball offer but wasn't expecting something that low. Oh well.
Right in line with KBB.com....probably a fair offer unless the price of what you were planning to purchase was not discounted.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by financeman
Right in line with KBB.com....probably a fair offer unless the price of what you were planning to purchase was not discounted.
Yeah. I kind of figured. The car I was looking a t wasn't discounted at all, it was over priced to begin with and they weren't willing to budge on their price. It was a year old and had 10k miles on it and they wanted $500 less than I could have gotten one brand new. I'm just trying to get a feel for the market anyway not 100% serious in terms of selling.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah. I kind of figured. The car I was looking a t wasn't discounted at all, it was over priced to begin with and they weren't willing to budge on their price. It was a year old and had 10k miles on it and they wanted $500 less than I could have gotten one brand new. I'm just trying to get a feel for the market anyway not 100% serious in terms of selling.
Sounds like the dealer you spoke with is more interested in running a car museum.....rather than actually selling vehicles. I understand the need to make a profit....but geez it seems this dealer should have provided you with a bit of KY with the quote.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Any car that is commonly leased is going to take a bath in the 2-3-4 year old range.

We just got my 2010 G...the dealers had more 2010 and 2011 cars than new. Meanwhile we were looking for a 2-3 year old Highlander for my wife and could only find ONE in the DFW area that had navigation/rear seat entertainment and less than 30K. One. And we got beat to it by about an hour.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Vini
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I was thinking of getting and M37 and dealer offered me 27k for my 2011 G37S sedan with 6500 (yes hundred) miles on it... I only drive it on weekends. I might try to sell it on my own to get a little bit more $$$
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ncguy
Yep. Carmax = biggest joke ever. My brother had a pristine 2003 M3 convertible, 55K on the clock. Carfax and Autocheck totally clean, all service records. Took it to Carmax, just to see. The offer...$11K. We went back a few weeks ago and they had a 2004 M3 coupe with 65K that looked like a hermit had been living in it for a couple months. They wanted $22.5K.

The spread carmax tries to get is ridiculous, I've calculated that on average they try to make at least $6-10k on cars. With performance or enthusiast cars, it's even worse. They're considered a niche or lower demand vehicle, so they lowball you on trade even though they'll go and mark it up $$. But they have high overhead, marketing, and investors to pay for.

That actually doesn't seem too bad. You have the pre-refresh and the residual for my '11 with 50k miles was going to be about $21k, so that seems spot on.

Originally Posted by CrackHeadMonsta
Next one for me is a Lexus resale value allday!!
Except that's negated by the fact that you'll pay more for the car in the first place. Also, you'll get less with Lexus / Acura than other makes because of the resale values. It's all based on perception...but when you're a car enthusiast and not blinded by the BS of the average buyer, you know what to look for.

Originally Posted by brizey
Any car that is commonly leased is going to take a bath in the 2-3-4 year old range.

We just got my 2010 G...the dealers had more 2010 and 2011 cars than new. Meanwhile we were looking for a 2-3 year old Highlander for my wife and could only find ONE in the DFW area that had navigation/rear seat entertainment and less than 30K. One. And we got beat to it by about an hour.
Toyota's get stupid money, and the Highlander happens to be a highly sought after CUV with a large pool of buyers (parents with kids, want cheap, reliable CUV/SUV). It really has less to do with leasing, and more to do with the type of car (like luxury cars)..yes in the first 2 years so they will suffer massively. By year 3, it slows down a lot though.

Originally Posted by Vini
I was thinking of getting and M37 and dealer offered me 27k for my 2011 G37S sedan with 6500 (yes hundred) miles on it... I only drive it on weekends. I might try to sell it on my own to get a little bit more $$$
Good luck. I would try to get the dealer to go up a little more..if they want to sell the car, they will. I tried selling my G privately for months, and it was an excellent deal compared to what dealers were asking, but I found that we can't compete with the lease deals..someone can go to the dealer and be less sketched out than a private party sale, and lease a new one for a cheaper monthly payment (at least in the 25-30k range). If I had an older G with 50k miles for $20-25k, private party may have worked. But it sucks for anyone trying to sell their newer car early. It ended up being much easier to just take a lower trade in.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 PM
rohardi

Has anyone tried selling their G via private party? How has that worked??? I have a 2010 G37Xs that I will be looking to get out of in the late summer and don't know if I will sell to a private party or trade in my new car purchase. My issue is I live in RI, and I am willing to shop BMW dealerships nationally for the right deal. So if I do a deal with a dealership in CA, I have to ditch my G on my own. Can I just bring it to a Infiniti dealership and will they buy it from me as if I was trading it in??? If I sell it private party, how do I go about doing that if I still have a loan on the car????
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rohardi
Has anyone tried selling their G via private party? How has that worked??? I have a 2010 G37Xs that I will be looking to get out of in the late summer and don't know if I will sell to a private party or trade in my new car purchase. My issue is I live in RI, and I am willing to shop BMW dealerships nationally for the right deal. So if I do a deal with a dealership in CA, I have to ditch my G on my own. Can I just bring it to a Infiniti dealership and will they buy it from me as if I was trading it in??? If I sell it private party, how do I go about doing that if I still have a loan on the car????
If you're in a lease, just return it at lease-end (probably the best deal) or see what carmax would give you for it.

If you try to sell it privately (again, see what i just posted above..it's not easy..., especially since you have a 2010) then you or the buyer just sends a bank check to the lienholder to pay off the balance, and they send whoever paid it off the title. It's really not that hard.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 PM
rohardi

Originally Posted by jepva
If you're in a lease, just return it at lease-end (probably the best deal) or see what carmax would give you for it.

If you try to sell it privately (again, see what i just posted above..it's not easy..., especially since you have a 2010) then you or the seller just sends a bank check to the lienholder to pay off the balance, and they send whoever paid it off the title. It's really not that hard.
I really should have leased... lesson learned...
Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Has anyone tried selling their G via private party?
i sold my former '04 6MT G35 sedan privately, as well as all my other vehicles. the dealer offered me $10k for my G35, but he told me that it was a waste to trade it in since he knew it was worth so much more. that's just one of the advantages in meticulous maintenance. the dealer is bound (more or less) to what the book values are. i sold it for $16.5k in 2 days. the first guy who saw it, bought it.

i'll sell all my vehicles privately as long as i determine it makes the most financial sense. if i was doing a trade and thought i could only come out $1k ahead by selling a car privately, then i would trade it in and save the tax on the trade value. but for several thousand? sure. a few hours of my time well spent.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM
ATLG37'09

Newbie here...just bought an '09 G37 Sedan (base)...sticker was $23k and we settled for $21,5k...I made an offer on a '10 37s...$24k final offer and they wouldn't do it.

Both cars off lease with 30k and 21k for the "s"...you never know if you're getting the whole truth, but they dealer said they couldn't take less than $25k for the "S".
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Vini
Just remember the taxes you will have to pay for that income. Sometimes it is better to trade. Weight all aspects.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I really should have leased... lesson learned...

If you aren't going to keep your car for at least 6+ years you probably shouldn't buy it. Leasing works great for people who keep their cars around 3 years and don't put a lot of miles on them.

Quick Reply: Low resale value?