G37 Sedan

Low resale value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
^^ Sorry, believe your sticker not my memory, it was from an year and half ago when I did my shopping.But it's hard to believe it would have that high MSRP.
I agree, seems very inflated, in spirit of this thread if that MSRP is to be believed and my car is currently "valued" at $31.5k then that'd be a $13,500 drop in 1 year!

Last edited by BLamb; 01-23-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: bad math
Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,645 Likes on 3,475 Posts
Research tools. I like Edmunds best... no particular reason.

And AutoTrader to get a sense of private-sale and dealer-sale pricing.

According to Edmunds, my 6MT has a value of $30.5 retail, and $26.7 trade-in. Seems about right to me.
Kelly says $31.3 and $28.7 retail to trade. Seems high.
NADA says $32.1 and $28.6 retail to trade. Also high.

Interesting. But pointless to me for many years to come.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-23-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Research tools. I like Edmunds best... no particular reason.
I also like edmunds best (originally I said 'me too' but apparently that message is too short.....)
Old 01-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by owslystnly
I also like edmunds best (originally I said 'me too' but apparently that message is too short.....)
Me too .
Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
owslystnly

did you insert some spaces? didn't like my 'me too'
Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by owslystnly
did you insert some spaces? didn't like my 'me too'
"It's magic" said the computer guy.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I just wanted to add to my prior comment.. I sold cars for many many years the one thing I can tell anyone is that a car is a depreciating asset.. as I said before I have been leasing my cars for 20+ years.. no money down.. turn it back in a 3 years, get a new one, don't' have to worry about resale value, not my problem. It's always worked out great for me.. Only reason not to lease is if one puts crazy mileage on their cars...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
I just wanted to add to my prior comment.. I sold cars for many many years the one thing I can tell anyone is that a car is a depreciating asset.. as I said before I have been leasing my cars for 20+ years.. no money down.. turn it back in a 3 years, get a new one, don't' have to worry about resale value, not my problem. It's always worked out great for me.. Only reason not to lease is if one puts crazy mileage on their cars...
I too lease....but a warning for those who don't fully understand all aspects of leasing; it is easy to fall prey to greedy and/or dishonest dealers who can manipulate lease contracts in many unfavorable ways. If a buyer doesn't fully understand money factors, residual values, inception fees, termination fees, and capitalized cost reductions....STAY AWAY. If you take good care of your cars, drive limited miles and enjoy driving a newer car I agree with Eric. Another reason I lease is that I like the idea of limited exposure to diminished valuation in the event of an accident....provided you fix the car correctly. My current lease car was damaged by hail...and then properly fixed. If I owned the car outright and was planning a trade in, I am quite sure resale has been diminished by the body work....since it will show up on a carfax search. I don't have such worries with a lease. This is my third lease....and I too am a believer.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
^^ You have just confirmed my belief that EITHER buy a car new if plan to keep a long time OR lease if a new car is desired every 3 years, just NEVER buy an off leased car.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Agreed Financeman.. One must understand the variables of leasing, but like many things that involve ones money a decent bit of research is well worth the investment of time to understand the ins and outs..
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 PM
baksdak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by financeman
I too lease....but a warning for those who don't fully understand all aspects of leasing; it is easy to fall prey to greedy and/or dishonest dealers who can manipulate lease contracts in many unfavorable ways. If a buyer doesn't fully understand money factors, residual values, inception fees, termination fees, and capitalized cost reductions....STAY AWAY. If you take good care of your cars, drive limited miles and enjoy driving a newer car I agree with Eric. Another reason I lease is that I like the idea of limited exposure to diminished valuation in the event of an accident....provided you fix the car correctly. My current lease car was damaged by hail...and then properly fixed. If I owned the car outright and was planning a trade in, I am quite sure resale has been diminished by the body work....since it will show up on a carfax search. I don't have such worries with a lease. This is my third lease....and I too am a believer.
Very well said.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM
genvador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just traded my fully loaded 06 g35x sedan (no sport package) with 76k for mileage for a lease on a 2013 G37x Sedan with premium package, sport wheels and wood accent. They offered me $11k for my car which was in the range of what I estimated for trade value. I know I could have gotten more had I sold it myself, but did not want to deal with the hassel of collecting from a 3rd party. Something to note, Infiniti did give and additional $1k loyaltly cash to be able to the lease.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
firstinfiniti

You also save on taxes if you trade-in your car. Of course, you cant be upside-down when trading and expect to save.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM
turbojay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I bet you were typing that before I posted. LOL

OTD is taxes and fees. That's a different number entirely, particularly in NY. Even more so in NYC.

And yeah, the AWD adds a couple grand for the G37xS, while quite ironically taking away the features that actually make it "Sport" worthy. I've always found that a rather entertaining observation.

Anyway, yes, $36k to $37k is the average new-car sale price for the Sedan 6MT over the last few years for people who can negotiate, and for dealers willing to do so.
You need to let your anti G37xS bias go. You've been harping that line over and over for like 6 months now.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by turbojay
You need to let your anti G37xS bias go. You've been harping that line over and over for like 6 months now.
Bitter much? There's no harp, you're just sensitive.

S is bling on the X. Own it and be proud.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-25-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Low resale value?