G37 Sedan

Why can't people respect other people's property?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM
dpattana
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why can't people respect other people's property?

I found a nice sized dent on the drivers side quarter panel on Saturday night. It looks like somebody leaned on the panel. I took it to three body shops and they all said that the panel has to be repainted and that per cannot be pdr'd. Estimates have ranged from a low of $500 to over $1000 for a high-end body shop.

Name:  dent2_zpsa71559e5.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  dent_zps433adafe.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  63.5 KB
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
that sucks but that is more than just a 'lean'. Did you talk to a PDR shop directly and make sure you aren't being upsold by the body shop?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 PM
dpattana
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rks
that sucks but that is more than just a 'lean'. Did you talk to a PDR shop directly and make sure you aren't being upsold by the body shop?
One of the body shops does pdr in-house. The guy that did the estimate said that it's to deep for pdr. I've got a pdr guy that works independently, I'll check with him too.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 PM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Its funny, because if your car was on the dealer lot and got a ding like that, it would've been fixed before anyone saw it, and they would NOT repaint it. I think an experienced bodyman can make it a lot less noticeable without paint and bondo. I know a few Puertorican body men who can work wonders with a heat gun, wooden block, and a rubber mallet. Unfortunately when you roll up to a shop in an Infiniti, the first thing they see is dollar signs. You will always get the more costly options. Good luck with your repair.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Its hard to tell but im pretty sure it can be PDR'ed and just buffed, looks like there is no crease.

I had some one drive into my impala (like 5 mph) right in front of me and drive off and give me a dirty look like if it was my fault they where driving over the parking lines. They had internists so I had no luck reporting a Hit and run. It sux but karma is a bitch.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 PM
dpattana
Registered Member

Originally Posted by eljoker
Its hard to tell but im pretty sure it can be PDR'ed and just buffed, looks like there is no crease.

I had some one drive into my impala (like 5 mph) right in front of me and drive off and give me a dirty look like if it was my fault they where driving over the parking lines. They had internists so I had no luck reporting a Hit and run. It sux but karma is a bitch.
The top of the dent has that crease that runs across pretty much the entire side of the body. The pdr guy told me with the crease and a black car, it will show every push that he does.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Lokosis
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you've got a GoPro lying around with the suction mount. Attach it to the spot, the suction should pull it right back out with a good yank.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM
dpattana
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lokosis
If you've got a GoPro lying around with the suction mount. Attach it to the spot, the suction should pull it right back out with a good yank.
Lol I just think I pulled the dent out with a suction cup. I'll have to take a look at in the daylight since it is no longer visible with the lights in the garage.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 PM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dpattana
Lol I just think I pulled the dent out with a suction cup. I'll have to take a look at in the daylight since it is no longer visible with the lights in the garage.
I was about to tell you to go out and buy a gopro so you can use the suction mount to pull the dent out and it will be a win-win, you would have fixed the dent and ended up with a gopro lol.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 PM
dpattana
Registered Member

Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz
I was about to tell you to go out and buy a gopro so you can use the suction mount to pull the dent out and it will be a win-win, you would have fixed the dent and ended up with a gopro lol.
I just used one of those suction cups that comes with those portable navigation systems. It didn't stick at first but I found the area that was flat, stuck the suction cup, and pulled. I heard the metal pop when I pulled, it looks fine under the lights in the garage, I'll see if it looks good in the daylight. Since it's smaller there is also a better chance of doing a pdr.

Funny thing is, I also want to get a GoPro.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 PM
daonlyillwiz

I just used one of those suction cups that comes with those portable navigation systems. It didn't stick at first but I found the area that was flat, stuck the suction cup, and pulled. I heard the metal pop when I pulled, it looks fine under the lights in the garage, I'll see if it looks good in the daylight. Since it's smaller there is also a better chance of doing a pdr.

Funny thing is, I also want to get a GoPro.
I have the new Hero3 its awesome. I think you should be fine, it didnt look like a sharp dent or anything.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Ouch, I feel for you. I doubt the damage could be done just by leaned against, the shape of the dent is more like result from a punch. Good luck with the repair.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Lokosis
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sometimes you have exactly what you need to do a certain job within your grasp, enjoy your new found savings!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Lokosis
Sometimes you have exactly what you need to do a certain job within your grasp, enjoy your new found savings!
Yep, way to go MacGiver(sp?)
Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM
daonlyillwiz

Any update? did you get the dent entirely out ?

Quick Reply: Why can't people respect other people's property?