G37 Sedan

ATS 2.0T or G37 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ATS 2.0T or G37 6MT?

I've really wanted a 6MT sedan lately, and something that handles a bit better and more nimble than my bloated, auto, G37X.

I got to test drive the new ATS recently, and really really like it. It handles really well, comes with a 6MT in the 2.0T form, and I'm really impressed by all the features that come with it and the price point. LSD, big brakes, and the motor has at least as much torque as the G37. Love the look as well (especially in black raven). Tunes for the 2.0T will be available shortly, making any power gap between with the G37 a non-factor.

When I got my X, I couldn't find any 6MT's around (it was during the model year switch-over) but that's probably what I should have ended up with. I have the opportunity to purchase a '13 G37 6MT, and also really enjoyed the test drive. After driving the X for awhile, it was easy to see how much more playful and better handling the 6MT RWD sedan is. I could really feel the difference, and it was fun.

However, it's a really hard decision because while I like the G, the ATS has a lot more features and tech now, and also a much nicer interior (and in fact, ironically, it looks a lot like the upcoming Q50 interior).

The clutch in the ATS is easier to drive, but then again I like the shifting/gearbox in the G37 better (the ATS could use some shortening and better bushings).

The ATS will have a better ownership cost (better on gas, free maintenance 4yr/50k miles).

Given all the details, I'm pretty torn. Maybe someone on here can view the dilemma with some fresh eyes and offer their thoughts.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
The ATS is more fun to drive, more up to date, and has a very dynamic design. A lot of reviewers complain about the transmission, so pay attention to that.

The G has slightly better value in initial purchase price, and its faster. Could be more reliable down the road as well depending on how long you plan on keeping the car.

I'd honestly be torn. I really love my G, but I really like that ATS... just won car of the year at NAIAS. It is THAT good. Steering feel is better than the Gs as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by WannabeSport
A lot of reviewers complain about the transmission, so pay attention to that.

I'd honestly be torn. I really love my G, but I really like that ATS... just won car of the year at NAIAS. It is THAT good. Steering feel is better than the Gs as well.
Cadillac revised the MT shortly after all the magazines criticized it; the revised version is much better, however the throws are still a bit long and not as close ratio as the G. But it's much much smoother clutch operation, as well.

Now the one I will disagree with you on is the steering; the G really has some incredible old-school steering, it's wonderful. I haven't driven a car yet that matches it (except maybe E36/E46 BMW's). The Caddillac is overly boosted/light at low speeds, and tries to hard in the twisties to imitate a hydraulic, but it's still overall pretty good.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM
baksdak

I have been thinking about going to look/drive the ATS. Might do that next week. Want to see/experience it all for myself.

Not sure it will be good enough to outdo the new Q50 on looks alone. Plus, I heard it is pretty small.

But on paper it seems to compare neck and neck to the current G.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by baksdak
I have been thinking about going to look/drive the ATS. Might do that next week. Want to see/experience it all for myself.

Not sure it will be good enough to outdo the new Q50 on looks alone. Plus, I heard it is pretty small.

But on paper it seems to compare neck and neck to the current G.
I think you'll really like the way it drives. The "smaller" is OK with me, the ATS still has plenty of room for my needs, no kids yet, etc. The front is really about the same, but the rear seat is down a couple inches in legroom, and the trunk is a bit smaller (just not as deep, but dimensions -wise it's similar to the G). But the ATS has fold down rear seats!! Something I've always missed with the G..
Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM
volnedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you elaborate more on the revised MT? That is the one concern I have for my future decision regarding the ATS 2.0T once my lease is up. All the online/video reviews I've seen have complained about the notchy shift action.

Coming from a long line of 6MT Infinitis, I don't see how another MT could be worse. But that is a main concern I have. I've been planning to drive an ATS 6MT, just haven't really had the time. A penny for your thoughts...
Old 01-17-2013, 02:42 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by volnedan
Can you elaborate more on the revised MT? That is the one concern I have for my future decision regarding the ATS 2.0T once my lease is up. All the online/video reviews I've seen have complained about the notchy shift action.
After the publication reviews complained back in late summer/early fall, GM pulled all the current 6MT's back to the factory to be fitted with revised bushings and linkage, and also revised the ECM for the 6MT cars as well. That is why the 6MT cars have just started showing up in Dec. and now. It shifts fine now, only needing a short shift kit IMO, which I'm sure will come out soon.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
See if a dealership will give you an ats to test drive for a day. Putting some more miles on the car should give you a better idea if it's the car for you or not.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM
dholmblad
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I test drove a CTS prior to purchasing my g37. Was close to going with the caddy, however I love the g37 I chose .
Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by Jsolo
See if a dealership will give you an ats to test drive for a day. Putting some more miles on the car should give you a better idea if it's the car for you or not.
That's a good idea, but possibly unlikely. They are treating the ATS' like blocks of gold right now, and they are selling pretty quick. I don't see the dealer letting me put any miles on one like that, especially the model in particular I want (a 6MT). But maybe if I put a deposit down, they'd let me.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car and Driver (Nov '12) reviewed the ATS 2.0T vs the new BMW 328i - they concluded the ATS (with FE3 performance package) has an excellent chassis and class leading handling. Steering feel and brakes were also better than the bimmer.

But where the caddy fell short was the drivetrain. The bimmer has a much wider power band, which explains why it is 0.7 sec quicker to 60 despite a 32hp disadvantage. Also they noted a very notchy shifter (although updated), and a very heavy flywheel.

C&D really didn't like the new CUE (Cadillac User Exper) touch screen info system....but usually this is a matter of preference.

While the new ATS may be a nice car, I personally still much prefer my G and the Infiniti brand. Infiniti also has a solid track record of excellent reliability. This is unknown for the ATS.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
kcg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm paying attention to ATS development, as trifecta tuning already has squeezed more than 50hp/tq, out of a reflash alone. They tested an awd auto ats w/ reflash 0-60 under 5. I'm not sure if was v box or not though (I don't trust any other methods of measurement)
As the q50 won't offer MT, another Infiniti's not in the cards for next vehicle purchase. Golf R or ATS for me. (I know they're different vehicles but my 1st car was a MK1 GTI)
Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ what?!? no 6MT for the next-gen sedan? i thought i read that they were keeping the manual gearbox. damn...i guess i'll be leaving the infiniti family after the G if this is the case. i need to do a bit more reading to confirm though.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by blackvr4tt
But where the caddy fell short was the drivetrain. The bimmer has a much wider power band, which explains why it is 0.7 sec quicker to 60 despite a 32hp disadvantage. Also they noted a very notchy shifter (although updated), and a very heavy flywheel.

C&D really didn't like the new CUE (Cadillac User Exper) touch screen info system....but usually this is a matter of preference.

While the new ATS may be a nice car, I personally still much prefer my G and the Infiniti brand. Infiniti also has a solid track record of excellent reliability. This is unknown for the ATS.
I found that the 2.0T is MUCH better with the 6MT. It really came alive with the manual, feeling much faster than the same car in automatic (that I also drove). It's actually more torquey than the G, just not quite as much top-end stock. I didn't notice the flywheel was especially heavy, or that the shifter was notchy. I'm skeptical if C&D really had the updated MT back in Nov., AFAIK those cars just hit lots in Dec.

CUE, and the touch buttons for HVAC and all the controls are kind of gimmicky, I agree. They're not very egonomic..and I would prefer regular buttons, but you can't fault Cadillac for trying to be technologically advanced, I guess. Looks like we're in for the same crap in the upcoming Q50 though!

The ATS 2.0T LTG is an evolution of the GM LNF motor, which has been around for years in the Cobalt SS, Saturn Sky redline, Regal GS, the new Malibu, etc. They have been very reliable, and have a very tough bottom end and are built for boost. People have run 400whp+ on the stock motors. The LTG motor in the ATS is only an improvement of the original LNF, so I expect great things.

Originally Posted by kcg37
I'm paying attention to ATS development, as trifecta tuning already has squeezed more than 50hp/tq, out of a reflash alone. They tested an awd auto ats w/ reflash 0-60 under 5. I'm not sure if was v box or not though (I don't trust any other methods of measurement)
As the q50 won't offer MT, another Infiniti's not in the cards for next vehicle purchase. Golf R or ATS for me. (I know they're different vehicles but my 1st car was a MK1 GTI)
I looked at and almost bought a Golf R myself, but decided I can't stomach the $35k price for an otherwise $20k econocar (the Golf), even with the better drivetrain and some luxury bits. I'd rather step into a 6MT A4 quattro close to that price, if I was going with a VW/Audi car, and get the much better platform and interior.

Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ what?!? no 6MT for the next-gen sedan? i thought i read that they were keeping the manual gearbox. damn...i guess i'll be leaving the infiniti family after the G if this is the case. i need to do a bit more reading to confirm though.
That is the current word. C&D did a story, apparently asking about the 6MT to Infiniti management at the autoshow, and they said it's done, due to the low take rate and how it's not profitable, blah blah. I doubt anythings final, and at the last second before summer, they could decide to release a 6MT sedan. For me, it's more about the fact that there are no new powertrains coming out for at least a couple years (I'm not interested in the hybrid).
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Have you looked into reliabilty of the Caddys? I know my daughter got sick and tired of her CTS and just got rid of it after only owning it for 2 years. I would hope the ATS would be better. I don't know much about Caddys except the issues my daughter had that sent her over to Volkswagon.