G37 Sedan

Bye bye sweet G37...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,694 Likes on 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by ashmostro
Wheen I got my blue slate on stone '07 I feared the light carpet but grew to prefer it, even if it was harder to keep clean.
OEM, black rubber, all-weather floormats... FTW and all year round. Even on light-colored carpets.

I started doing that years ago, and love the look of a dark footwell, so it's what I do with my G today. In fact, with pen in hand just before signing for the car, I looked up and said, "Oh, by the way..." LOL. They gave me the mats.

And a first-aid kit for the trunk, just because.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Got some work done on the car! Clear Bra and some slight visual mods...

clear bra prep:

reflector before:

reflector after,no flash

reflector after, with flash

smoked rear roundel, still badged:

smoked rear roundel, debadged:

clear bra'ed front, smoked roundel:

Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 AM
ashmostro

Want to add for anyone in the DC/MD/VA area, I enthusiastically recommend the TintMonkey in Gaithersburg, MD! Standup guys with impeccable attention to detail.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Very nice.
ClearBra - the best money spent to preserve the look of your DD.
I like the tinted roundel idea too.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I like what you did with the side-reflectors. And I've seen a clear-bra being applied before. It's quite a skill to cut the plastic without cutting the paint, so I get why you're impressed.

Ash, this isn't another lease, is it? Seems unlikely seeing as how you're wrapping the front end in 3M. Then again, considering the mods you did to your leased G37, anything is possible.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
^ Mine is a lease (likely buying out, as I often do) and I have the front end and mirrors wrapped. I don't see a reason why not to spend $125/year to keep it looking like new. Some people spend their money on cigarettes and alcohol.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

That's fine. Your money, your choices, your car (kind of).

I did get a chuckle at how you presented the cost amortized over a number of years, then set up the strawman choice between vices.

Clever monkey. Debate much?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM
ashmostro

It is indeed a lease. If the car becomes an unreliable lemon then I'll have the option of an easy return. If I end up loving it and it's rock solid, I'll just buy it out.

Whether I lease or buy, I take damn good care of my cars. 3 years of use vs 6-10 years, I still care how my car performs and appears.

This isn't at all directed at you Rochester, but I find that a lot of people just have this negative preconception of leasing, when in reality it's the same as financing and then selling in three or four years, but only more convenient. If you negotiate the MF and the Cap cost well, there's no reason a lease is a bad financial move- just know your numbers and your situation! I like to change cars often, so leasing works well for me. And I know how to negotiate an agreeable deal.

And never, EVER EVER put money down on a lease. That's not equity you get back if the car gets totaled, son.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

It's OK, Ash. I've leased before, without regrets. On my first lease (1992 240SX), the buy out was actually *less* than the value of the car, which is a truly rare situation. And I adored the car. On my second lease (1999 Maxima SE 5MT), I was very content to walk away because of the car I was buying (2003 Maxima SE 6MT).

Nostalgia... sigh.

The point your making about never, EVER EVER putting money down on a lease is solid advice, and really does make all the difference. Everything else is just feel-good mumbo jumbo.

If the car becomes an unreliable lemon then I'll have the option of an easy return
Indeed. Some cars warrant this precaution more than others.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM
ashmostro

And I posit that negative nancys who think they understand why "LEASE BAD!!" is just feel-bad mumbo jumbo.

hehe
Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
3 is looking extra sweet, bet you can't get that smile off your face
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

And I posit that negative nancys who think they understand why "LEASE BAD!!" is just feel-bad mumbo jumbo.

hehe
I'd bet good money that you are more not-an-accountant than I'm am.

And if I lose that bet, well... not-an-accountant.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM
ashmostro

I work for a commercial bank. Been doing that for the last ten years. But no, I'm not an accountant by trade.

Tell me your thoughts on this statement: BUY an appreciating asset. LEASE a depreciating one.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I work for a commercial bank.
Dammit. LOL

Tell me your thoughts on this statement: BUY an appreciating asset. LEASE a depreciating one.
Automotive depreciation is hugely front-loaded, and you've accepted that as a continual state. Fine for you, man, that's your decision. However, if you own a car long enough for that curve to flatten out, your overall cost is less... but you end up with an old car. Which is problematic for most people, but not people like this:

Whether I lease or buy, I take damn good care of my cars. 3 years of use vs 6-10 years, I still care how my car performs and appears.
C'mon, Ash. Leasing cars is a lifestyle choice, not sound financial planning. And that's OK because it's not wrong, per se, just a choice. The only people who tell you otherwise are trying to sell you a car loan. You want a new, problem-free, warrantied car every few years... that's your only answer. But don't pretend it's smart money.

I don't think we actually disagree here. If I intended to get a new car every 3 to 4 years, then I would lease, too. That's just not my intent. See me in 8-10 years and we can confirm that, or you can say "I told you so."

Last edited by Rochester; 01-22-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
My next car I plan on leasing. I keep dumping my cars after 3-4 years so it is kind of a no brainer for me at this point.... might as well be paying on a car thats brand new with warranty and not one thats about to expire, put tires on, etc.

Quick Reply: Bye bye sweet G37...