G37 Sedan

Plasti Dip

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLAW
I want to see someone destroy there cars paint job with cheap *** Dip!
Like I said, your ignorance never ceases to amaze me. Please do take the time to educate yourself on what it is and how it works before you make ignorant comments. It's alright though, I see your need to "fit in" with the crowd

OP: I think you did a nice job, it looks good
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jesse550
Like I said, your ignorance never ceases to amaze me. Please do take the time to educate yourself on what it is and how it works before you make ignorant comments. It's alright though, I see your need to "fit in" with the crowd

OP: I think you did a nice job, it looks good
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
That Audi looks like its vinyl'd not dipped
Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 AM
jesse550

It's 100% dipped
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
It's 100% dipped
Do they add anything to the mix to take the texture out of the finish? I had a hellofa time cleaning just a grill, couldn't imagine what a large body panel would take to get clean unless the "painted" dip is much smoother.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Looks like Jesse and GTLAW have some personal issues getting (un)resolved in someone else's thread. OK, mostly GTLAW.

/unsub
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 AM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Doing my whole car baby blue, hopefully within 2-3 weeks. Already ordered the dip
Take pics when your done

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
That Audi looks like its vinyl'd not dipped
It's actually dipped , I believe that Audi is from dipyourcar.com, he has YouTube videos of him doing the whole car
Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Well....if Jesse can make it look that good....more power to him.

Cuz that Audi looks vinyl'd

Curious to see the finished result.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
Well....if Jesse can make it look that good....more power to him.

Cuz that Audi looks vinyl'd

Curious to see the finished result.
It actually does looked vinyl'd I'm sure many people cannot tell the difference from looking at a picture online , then again it was the owner of dipyourcar fonzi who dipped his blue Audi , that's why it came out so good
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLAW
I want to see someone destroy there cars paint job with cheap *** Dip!
Plastidip is actually quite nice. I used it on my rear emblems for the past three years and nothing has happened to them. Even the dealer complimented on them and asked me how I did that.

It has been through so many car washes and salty roads and still has held up. I'm pretty impressed.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
jesse550

Originally Posted by blnewt
Do they add anything to the mix to take the texture out of the finish? I had a hellofa time cleaning just a grill, couldn't imagine what a large body panel would take to get clean unless the "painted" dip is much smoother.
Nope nothing added to the mix. Cleaning almost all the time takes me nothing more than a pressurized hoze down. I took the car through a car wash too since there's no more worrying about getting swirls on my paint. And guys that car isn't Fonzies, Fonzie has an S4 and this is an A4. It belongs to a dude named Alex.

Did you use cans to dip the grille? You get a MUUUUUUUCH smoother service using a HVLP spray gun. The only thing I use cans for is the wheels since they're beat on 24/7. If dip done properly it's actually hard to distinguish it from vinyl wrapping and sometimes even paint. You can see below, my grille is painted gloss black by 180customs and the emblem is plasti dipped gloss black by me.

The G is going to be the same color as that A4 above. Don't worry I'll take lots of pics of the G when it's done. But in the meantime:
Here's my accord dipped (used to be silver: dipped matte fluorescent orange and roof matte black):
I am fully aware you guys don't like decals..I'm advertising my loacal business and it gets me sales so I'm not taking it them off any time soon.

Plasti Dip-feugjnc.jpg
Plasti Dip-wjls1kl.jpg

Edit: Phone pics kinda make the color lose some hue but here's a more accurate color picture (I still need to peel the orange off the black skirts and the thing on the door):
Plasti Dip-zzcxyrl.jpg

Last edited by jesse550; 01-25-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:14 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Jesse, at least you're speaking from experience, definitely looking for your pics when you get it done. As far as the surface being smoother w/ a gun compared to can spray, does it still retain the same basic structure? I mean, I've dipped a couple things in the past (a grill, and that chrome tail piece) and I found you could peel it back with your fingernail, and the great thing about PDip is the ability to remove it easily. Would it still be easy to remove, and if so, that could be a bad thing as far as a rock causing a peel or some A hole wanting to screw w/ your car (although that can happen w/ paint too). Just curious.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM
jesse550

Rocks probably won't cause peel. The plasti dip itself is pretty strong. Like you said you can peel it with your fingernail but you have to use a little force. Of course someone can come up to it and peel it but they can also key your car. It's better to have that extra layer of protection especially if your car is outdoor kept in an apartment complex like mine where it's more succeptible to door dings and stuff.

When you spray it out of a gun, it does have a much smoother texture to it. Not sure if this affects its general structure but it does look a hell of a lot better!

So far on my Honda I've been through a car wash, done highway driving, and even scraped snow and ice off very roughly with a brush and its still flawless. One bright side is definitely not worrying about swirls or anything in your paint. Plasti dip is rubber so it has more tolerance to rocks and debris because it can flex and bend.

I hope this helps
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
VQHRLover
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I recently plasti dipped my '12 xS. Turned out well.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
buGfresh

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
im all for Pdip, i have used it and plan on spraying some friends cars and possibly mine. just wanted to point out, there was a g on the NYC forum(i think) tht was dipped flat white and he tried to remove it, wasnt peeling off by hand so he took a powerwasher to it and stripped some of the factory paint. its horror stories like that, that worry me.. although chances are he didnt apply it correctly.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip