G37 Sedan

Noticed a sound difference when shutting door on a 2012+ Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 AM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Noticed a sound difference when shutting door on a 2012+ Sedan

I have a 2009 Journey Sedan. Lately I have taken my vehicle into the dealership to get certain items replaced under warranty such as my steering wheel cover finisher due to the rubber peeling off. Each time I have gone to the dealer for warranty repair I have been given a loaner vehicle which happens to be a 2012 model. The first thing I noticed when getting into the car is that the sound of shutting the car door sounds different from my vehicle. The loaner vehicle sounds light whereas my car sounds heavy. I've noticed that when I close my doors they have some resistance and even if you slam the door they don't slam shut. On the new model when shutting the door I noticed no resistance and doors slam hard. I know Infiniti changed things in the newer models such as upgrading the sound system and adding usb. However, they deleted some things from the older models to save money such as the power lumbar support. I am wondering if they decided to cut back on costs in the door insulation and weatherstripping materials. I might be imagining things, but are there any other 2009 and older model owners that have experienced this?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
I haven't noticed this, per-say, but a problem that I have noticed when shutting my doors lately is that there is a vent in the rear quarter panel, when I shut my doors I hear that vent open and close. It sounds like shutting two doors at once, but they're a fraction of a second off so you still hear two individual doors close. I've talked to the dealership about it but they're response was that it was "normal". I have yet to notice it on any of the loaners that they have given me, both 2012 and 2013 and G37s and G25s. "Its normal" will not cut it with me. I will find a way to fix it... eventually.

Anyway, I wonder if this is what you're noticing, or if it is something different.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

It could be the air in the cabin moving as closing the door builds up pressure. Infiniti must have changed something because I noticed a difference. Maybe it was building up too much pressure. This came to my attention when I had my windshield replaced with another oem glass. The installer cracked open the windows because he said the windshied could move out of position when shutting doors during the curing process. I think it is due to the build up in air pressure that I noticed more resistance when closing my doors vs. the newer model.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
My 07x sounded the same as my 11S and requires the same effort to close. No noticeable difference for me.
Perhaps your door is not aligned properly or a slight problem with the hinge?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 AM
eddie903

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDeePee
It could be the air in the cabin moving as closing the door builds up pressure. Infiniti must have changed something because I noticed a difference. Maybe it was building up too much pressure. This came to my attention when I had my windshield replaced with another oem glass. The installer cracked open the windows because he said the windshied could move out of position when shutting doors during the curing process. I think it is due to the build up in air pressure that I noticed more resistance when closing my doors vs. the newer model.
I had a windshield replaced on my Acura and they recommended cracking the windows as well. Its probably just commonly said/done when replacing windshields until the sealant dries to help avoid possible leaks.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
My 07x sounded the same as my 11S and requires the same effort to close. No noticeable difference for me.
Perhaps your door is not aligned properly or a slight problem with the hinge?
I will have to check that hinge out, perhaps it is sticking causing the resistance. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
dholmblad
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could it be the echo in the dealership showroom?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDeePee
I have a 2009 Journey Sedan. Lately I have taken my vehicle into the dealership to get certain items replaced under warranty such as my steering wheel cover finisher due to the rubber peeling off. Each time I have gone to the dealer for warranty repair I have been given a loaner vehicle which happens to be a 2012 model. The first thing I noticed when getting into the car is that the sound of shutting the car door sounds different from my vehicle. The loaner vehicle sounds light whereas my car sounds heavy. I've noticed that when I close my doors they have some resistance and even if you slam the door they don't slam shut. On the new model when shutting the door I noticed no resistance and doors slam hard. I know Infiniti changed things in the newer models such as upgrading the sound system and adding usb. However, they deleted some things from the older models to save money such as the power lumbar support. I am wondering if they decided to cut back on costs in the door insulation and weatherstripping materials. I might be imagining things, but are there any other 2009 and older model owners that have experienced this?
When was the last time the door hinges were lubricated?

The doors on my 2012 G37 do seem to close slightly better than those on my old 06 G35

Telcoman