G37 Sedan

New Owner Looking For Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Beantown G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner Looking For Advice

I just bought a black 2009 g37x sedan with tan interior. I am admittedly not a gearhead, but I worked my *** off saving from age 14-24 of Roofing money to get my first nice car (my previous car was a 1996 Jeep.)

There are a couple modifications I want to make and need some more experienced G's advice.

1st: I hate the yellow bulbs in the headlights. I would like for the headlights to be completely clear. I was also like ice blue coloration (not so much that I get pulled over but enough to notice, like you would see on a classy new benz, not a 90's beamer.) I was told all I need is bulbs since it already comes with HID setup.

2nd: I would also like to get black rims with a chrome lip or detailing. I noticed that alot of rims look really out of place and ****ty on G's. Also, I do not want to put low profile tires on my car as I heard it can mess up your rims, smoothness of the ride, warranty, etc. Whats the biggest I can go keeping regular tires without coming to close to the wheel wells?

3rd: Any other tips or advice. I want to keep it pretty stock and classy, but would love to add a little flare. I live in Boston, the roads suck so dropping it with low profiles would be difficult. I am also going to be in Finance so I don't want to pull into State Street in a Fast n Furious looking car. LED light strips on the bottom of the front bumper are along the lines of mod's that keep it classy but add flare in my mind (my sedan doesn't have fog lights there). Anything similar?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new G.

The "yellow" lights as you put it are your fog lights. A few members have opted for a more clear white bulb instead of the stock one. The first member that comes to mind is blnewt. Try to do a search for his car, I would but I'm using my phone and its a bit difficult. I'm sure he will chime in eventually.

I highly doubt that using low profile tires on your car would void warranty. My suggestion would be to keep 18's or 19's and lower your car no more than one inch. May people have done it and loved the look. A few have not. You can also search for that and see pictures. If you are going to blsck out your rims or are looking for black rims another mod that people have done is black out the chrome on the windows, get the midnight black grille, and the black OEM spoiler for the chrome piece on the trunk. Check out blnewt, he has the all blacked out look going.

Post some pictures when you get a chance!

Edit: here is a good read for springs, it also gives you an idea for the blacked out look and the clear fog light bulb.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/241690-g37xs-lowered-on-swift-springs.html

Last edited by '11G37S; 01-08-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM
thebals

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your ride!

Are your headlight bulbs actually "yellow" or just not white enough. The factory stock HID headlight bulbs on the later year G37s are rated at a color temperature of 4300K-4500K. If you want a cleaner, whiter look you can opt to replace them with 6000K HID bulbs.
Here is a link to a webpage that illustrates the different color temperatures with pictures:
HID color chart | Xenon colour chart
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Beantown G

My'09G37x thank you very much for your detailed response all the links were very relevant and pretty close to what I am looking to do, I also friended them to talk more. It appeared that he still had the orangy-yellow fog bulbs and blinkers though hmmm. I don't know if by law your blinkers are supposed to be that color or what, but I love how he painted the backdrop around the bulbs black, and the blacked out chrome detail looks sick as well as the rims.

I also think it is awesome that people are willing to help complete strangers with their problems on this site, definitely worth signing up.

thebals: thank you very much as well for your help. Like My'09G37x had mentioned its not the headlights its just the Fog bulbs and then I believe a strip on the side which I is assume to be the blinker (excuse my naive nature). I want to replace the HID's with something slightly blue not just clear.

All in all very helpful guys, let me know if we can elaborate any more

God bless
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by Beantown G
My'09G37x thank you very much for your detailed response all the links were very relevant and pretty close to what I am looking to do, I also friended them to talk more. It appeared that he still had the orangy-yellow fog bulbs and blinkers though hmmm. I don't know if by law your blinkers are supposed to be that color or what, but I love how he painted the backdrop around the bulbs black, and the blacked out chrome detail looks sick as well as the rims.

I also think it is awesome that people are willing to help complete strangers with their problems on this site, definitely worth signing up.

thebals: thank you very much as well for your help. Like My'09G37x had mentioned its not the headlights its just the Fog bulbs and then I believe a strip on the side which I is assume to be the blinker (excuse my naive nature). I want to replace the HID's with something slightly blue not just clear.

All in all very helpful guys, let me know if we can elaborate any more

God bless
No problem at all.

On an '09 the light that you're talking about is the side marker, the turn signal is right above the fog light. the lens is clear and the bulb is amber. I have seen some people change the color of their side marker, I'll look around and see if I can find any topics or pictures of them to give you an idea.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Here are a few helpful posts.

DIY: Changing G37 Fog Lights to 6K HID Xenon This is for an '08 coupe, should be close to the same as the sedan.

Painted Headlights DIY Again this is for a coupe but it should be very similar.

6000K HID Picture

G37 all headlight bulb replacement

This will give you an idea of what you can do to the window trim, plus its removable if or when you sell your car.

Vinyl DIY

Hope these links help!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Beantown, first off welcome to the site. You sent me a "visitor message", but to be honest I don't how to access those I replied to it but doubt if you got it. If you want to send a PM (private message), just click on the username, then you'll see the scroll of options and select the private message option.

Painted headlights are a great DIY but a real time consuming job, I'm really gald I did it, but I really don't want to do it again~here's some cool light ideas
ONEighty: 08-12 G37 Coupe Gallery (Custom Work)
Can't seem to find the headlight pics for sedans right now

Good replies so far, about all I can add is my fog/DRL and painted tail DIY links.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ils-sedan.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...in-bumper.html
You asked about smoked taillights being illegal, and yes, completely smoked taillights are usually frowned upon by the lawmen. My GTR style smoked tails still leave the light rings clearly visible so they're not illegal.
As far as lowering, you can go w/ a mild drop and still have a decent comfort level. I've got 20s on coilovers and find the ride firm but not too jaw-rattling since I can adjust the dampers. The roads where I live are horrible and sure I hit a slammer every now & then but overall not a bad ride. Plus I'm 50 yrs old so you young whipper snappers should have little trouble, lol. Here's some current pics
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ame-early.html
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts
Hello Neighbor

I recently got my 2013 G37xS sedan and loving it!

I'm not sure if this is much help, but I had switched out the OEM amber bulbs with LED's and replaced the fog lights with HID kit.
Mine are a bit different, but you get what I mean.
I actually didn't replace the OEM HID headlight bulb, due to the updated ballast on my year...seems that majority of the aftermarket HID bulbs have issues.
Since you have a '09, this wouldn't effect you.
I would recommend either 5000k (bright white) or 6000k (White w/blue hue) HID replacement.

Here is a pic taken with my HTC One S:

Name:  IMAG0388.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  139.4 KB

You can see more in my Garage (Selina) under Photos.

If you need information regarding where to get the HID kit, replacement bulbs & installation, I know a place here in MA...just PM me.

There is a lot of excellent information that has already been posted, so read on!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Beantown G

Originally Posted by My'09G37X
Here are a few helpful posts.

DIY: Changing G37 Fog Lights to 6K HID Xenon This is for an '08 coupe, should be close to the same as the sedan.

Painted Headlights DIY Again this is for a coupe but it should be very similar.

6000K HID Picture

G37 all headlight bulb replacement

Window Trim Black Vinyl Overlay Installation Video This will give you an idea of what you can do to the window trim, plus its removable if or when you sell your car.

Vinyl DIY

Hope these links help!

Thanks for all the help this is great. Those Iron Man lights are pretty sick on those coupes, are they available for sedans? I will definitely do the chrome detailing around the windows myself, and I would like to try the GSX still smoke tail-lights that blnewt did, although sanding and painting makes me nervous. Then maybe by next summer I will have enough money to drop/lift it and get 19'' rims with some sporty tires (not too thin). (what is the expensive/ correct / safest way to do it where you can lift it and drop it when needed? It like sits on bags of air almost? Some one told me but I forget the name? You guys probably think Im retarded )

Once again tho man, thank you very much you gave me enough to stay occupied for a while
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Beantown G

Originally Posted by blnewt
Beantown, first off welcome to the site. You sent me a "visitor message", but to be honest I don't how to access those I replied to it but doubt if you got it. If you want to send a PM (private message), just click on the username, then you'll see the scroll of options and select the private message option.

Painted headlights are a great DIY but a real time consuming job, I'm really gald I did it, but I really don't want to do it again~here's some cool light ideas
ONEighty: 08-12 G37 Coupe Gallery (Custom Work)
Can't seem to find the headlight pics for sedans right now

Good replies so far, about all I can add is my fog/DRL and painted tail DIY links.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ils-sedan.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...in-bumper.html
You asked about smoked taillights being illegal, and yes, completely smoked taillights are usually frowned upon by the lawmen. My GTR style smoked tails still leave the light rings clearly visible so they're not illegal.
As far as lowering, you can go w/ a mild drop and still have a decent comfort level. I've got 20s on coilovers and find the ride firm but not too jaw-rattling since I can adjust the dampers. The roads where I live are horrible and sure I hit a slammer every now & then but overall not a bad ride. Plus I'm 50 yrs old so you young whipper snappers should have little trouble, lol. Here's some current pics
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ame-early.html
Thanks alot man, you must be a pretty cool 50 year old dude in that sick car tho

Those iron man lights are unreal. I assume that a custom shop did alot of painting and what not on those though correct? Or can you order them in different colors?

Your car is awesome though man, I hope forum members don't hate copycats cause I might wind up with a pretty similar car hopefully.

I uploaded a stock picture of mine for you guys. I will post the link to this thread (still learning the most efficient way to do things on here).
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Beantown G

Originally Posted by dragion
Hello Neighbor

I recently got my 2013 G37xS sedan and loving it!

I'm not sure if this is much help, but I had switched out the OEM amber bulbs with LED's and replaced the fog lights with HID kit.
Mine are a bit different, but you get what I mean.
I actually didn't replace the OEM HID headlight bulb, due to the updated ballast on my year...seems that majority of the aftermarket HID bulbs have issues.
Since you have a '09, this wouldn't effect you.
I would recommend either 5000k (bright white) or 6000k (White w/blue hue) HID replacement.

Here is a pic taken with my HTC One S:

You can see more in my Garage (Selina) under Photos.

If you need information regarding where to get the HID kit, replacement bulbs & installation, I know a place here in MA...just PM me.

There is a lot of excellent information that has already been posted, so read on!

The '13 is great looking that grille is awesome it makes the curves of the car stick out even more. I will definitely go with 6000k on the lights.

I need to find a shop that I can go to around MA and talk to some one and be like look "I wanna do this....this...etc." I just want to make it so theres no orange fog bulbs, no orange side marker and a 6000k glow. So I will definitely PM you if I can figure it out haha
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Welcome aboard. Congrats.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Beantown G

Here is my G37x unmodified per request. We can use this someday to compare after all your help pays off.

I left the crusty license plates to remember what I came from and my hard work to own it
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Beantown G
Thanks alot man, you must be a pretty cool 50 year old dude in that sick car tho

Those iron man lights are unreal. I assume that a custom shop did alot of painting and what not on those though correct? Or can you order them in different colors?

Your car is awesome though man, I hope forum members don't hate copycats cause I might wind up with a pretty similar car hopefully.

I uploaded a stock picture of mine for you guys. I will post the link to this thread (still learning the most efficient way to do things on here).
Your car looks like a nice clean blank slate from which you can work some magic. Thanks for the kind words regarding my G, they're an easy car to get the mod addiction going for sure!
Regarding the iron man lights, I don't have them, just a 2 tone black on the inside shrouds/bezels but Raul at 180 custom can do most anything w/ lights. The only thing that concerns me w/ the ironman is having a bulb go out then having to completely open up the lights again which is quite time consuming.
No worries on copying things, you'll add your own touches along the way to make it completely yours I'm sure. Have fun w/ your blank canvas!