G37 Sedan

Are you sticking with Infiniti if the Q50 doesn't impress?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I think the ATS is an incredibly tasteful car.... not gaudy with a pimp cane at all. It is a beautiful car and impeccably balanced...

I drive that car (even with AWD) and then get back in my G and the G just disappoints me. But pretty much everything these days makes me disappointed in my G when I get back in it. This is my least favorite car i'v owned by far, and it is honestly due to the driving experience with this ****ty *** AWD. I'd honestly rather have my old 2003 Chevy Trailblazer. That drove like a boat, but atleast it was paid off and I could beat the living **** out of that Inline 6 and it took it all day long..

Originally Posted by Rochester
I had a friend with a 911 Twin-Turbo. It was dangerously fast, with handling characteristics like nothing I've ever experienced before. Honestly, it was my first exposure to a car that I would actually decline because it was too much car. I know that seems almost silly, but... IDK, maybe I know my limits. That car exceeds my ability to restrain myself. A widow-maker, if there ever was one.

I just chuckled reading that back to myself, thinking maybe your reaction will be, "Yeah, baby!" LOL
I don't want a turbo lol. I just want an honest to goodness flat 6 NA with the 6 speed manual and RWD. Keep it simple and keep it safe. I am NOT a power junky. I just want an amazing exhaust note and those fabulous direct point and shoot dynamics.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
I don't want a turbo lol. I just want an honest to goodness flat 6 NA with the 6 speed manual and RWD. Keep it simple and keep it safe. I am NOT a power junky. I just want an amazing exhaust note and those fabulous direct point and shoot dynamics.
I can relate to that. The sentiment, not the drop-top. Personally, I strongly dislike verts.

There's bound to be a lot of shared automotive values in a forum dedicated to a single model car, as I've found with WannabeSport time and time again. I also prefer NA, and will drive a MT until I can't anymore. And I can only hope you're right about the ATS. My predispositions about Caddy run decades old. But if it's an A-list car for you, then it probably deserves a better opportunity to impress from me.

I had a friend 10 years ago with a new 2003 CTS (manual), and it was unappealing in just about every possible way.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-16-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:02 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I want a drop top because on a car like this, there is nothing better than a sunny day, your favorite twisty road, and that flat 6 absolutely singing behind you. I don't like coupes. I am not a coupe person. If it is a 2 door and it doesn't have a convertible top, I don't want it. I also don't like the insulation of a coupe. Then i cant hear that flat 6 sing!!

Porsches are like magic for me. ANY time I drive one, I am literally blown away... they just get those.... emotional sensations flowing and give me goose bumps. The sound of that engine is heaven. I have driven a lot of cars over the years, and nothing makes me smile more than a Porsche... I am literally obsessed with them.

Over the summer, my Infiniti dealer (who I have a very strong relationship with) let me borrow a 2008 regular old boxster with an automatic (absolutely tragic) for the afternoon and evening on a gorgeous summer day. I literally had the most fun I have had in awhile. Even with that god awful automatic (and it really was bad) the engine loved to rev and with it being a foot from my head I got all the audible goodness you could ask for. Point and shoot dynamics, trademark of a Porsche with the epic soundtrack. I literally would have bought the car had it been a manual.

But I am saving my $$ for a 911. Just enough power to enjoy.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I must admit the thought of not having ~$600 car payment in a year or so is also very tempting. It will be nice to pay myself that towards a nice vacay or just additional spending money.
The following users liked this post:
WannabeSport (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I'm kinda surprised how many sedan owners are leaning towards coupes for replacements.

I really hope to get 2-3 more years out of my G37S before I am in the market for something else. If something happened to it I would probably shop for another 6MT sedan. I think the G really hits the sweet spot for me in style, size, performance, and value.

Forced to replace it with something else, I would have to decide if I want to give up the ability to use my car to tote the family around. I could probably do a STi or Evo, but my wife wouldn't want to go anywhere in that car with the kids, so every outing I'd be stuck driving her MDX. I like that we can run errands, go to the mall, etc in my car with both the kids, so I don't know that I would give up the space for a smaller AWD car.

The ATS is tempting, but the turbo (only engine available with a 6MT) seems underwhelming. Of course I could tune it, but I really don't like modding my daily driver. I'm anxious to see how the ATS-V ends up.

I live too far from the Audi/BMW dealers to really want to deal with a S4 or 335i. And while a E60 M5 is very tempting, I think it is going to be a maintenance and reliability nightmare.

There are rumors Chevy is going to add a MT to the SS, so that is something else I might consider if it was offered.

It's a pretty short list of cars that offers MT, 4 doors and space for 2 car seats that wont break the bank.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:18 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Funny thing happened today. For the past few months I've been riding my 2010 H-D Electra Glide Ultra Classic less and less. The traffic and lights in S. Fla are a killer to any good buzz. I decided to stop into a Triumph / Ducati dealership and was blown away after running the numbers against the Harley. It would be cheaper to buy a new 1199 Panigale then keep paying for this Harley. I mentioned this to my better half and got slapped..... Literally. Not one to take it laying down I tried to rationalize, then plead, but to no avail. Looks like I'm going to be keeping the Harley and just be happy to be able to mod my G.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
Funny thing happened today. For the past few months I've been riding my 2010 H-D Electra Glide Ultra Classic less and less. The traffic and lights in S. Fla are a killer to any good buzz. I decided to stop into a Triumph / Ducati dealership and was blown away after running the numbers against the Harley. It would be cheaper to buy a new 1199 Panigale then keep paying for this Harley. I mentioned this to my better half and got slapped..... Literally. Not one to take it laying down I tried to rationalize, then plead, but to no avail. Looks like I'm going to be keeping the Harley and just be happy to be able to mod my G.
Lol, getting slapped by your better half will kill any biker street cred you may have accumulated
I won't tell
Old 12-17-2013, 10:21 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by blnewt
Lol, getting slapped by your better half will kill any biker street cred you may have accumulated
I won't tell
It's just part of it I guess. (Being married that is) I have no shame in airing out my dirty laundry. My "biker buddies" (mostly doc's and a lawyer) are pretty much like me. The man is the head of the house but the woman is the neck, and without the neck the head doesn't turn. I should have known better.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
It's just part of it I guess. (Being married that is) I have no shame in airing out my dirty laundry. My "biker buddies" (mostly doc's and a lawyer) are pretty much like me. The man is the head of the house but the woman is the neck, and without the neck the head doesn't turn. I should have known better.
True that^^, me & the Mrs. have been hitched for 27 years and have had quite a few stiff-neck moments
Old 12-18-2013, 01:46 AM
Hapa DC5

I have a really strong suspicion you may know my cousin or in a related circle lol. He's a lawyer, rides a hog and lives in West Palm Beach, just left his practice actually and started working for another firm as a trial lawyer.

Most of his biker friends are white collar too.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
True that^^, me & the Mrs. have been hitched for 27 years and have had quite a few stiff-neck moments
15 years here, and I've never been slapped, no matter how many times I ask her to.

No, wait... TMI.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
15 years here, and I've never been slapped, no matter how many times I ask her to.

No, wait... TMI.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:54 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
I have a really strong suspicion you may know my cousin or in a related circle lol. He's a lawyer, rides a hog and lives in West Palm Beach, just left his practice actually and started working for another firm as a trial lawyer.

Most of his biker friends are white collar too.
Yeah, in S. FL most of the Harley riders are white collar weekend warrior types. That's me and the Mrs. all day. The "real" bikers aka "trouble makers" ride crappy old street bikes and don't respect other motorists. I've probably seen him around before if he's ever hung out at Cafe 27, or if he rides through the keys.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:57 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

We've only been married for 3.5 yrs. We don't get into it much. The slap was more of a playful thing then an aggressive thing. Still, she got her point across though. 27 years? Congrats. Thats an achievement these days.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:55 AM
Hapa DC5

I've probably seen him around before if he's ever hung out at Cafe 27, or if he rides through the keys.
He does both lol. Small world.

Quick Reply: Are you sticking with Infiniti if the Q50 doesn't impress?