G37 Sedan

Are you sticking with Infiniti if the Q50 doesn't impress?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RYs06MT
My G37 coupe does not out perform a 335 coupe.
Maybe sedans are different.
But it's not just a badge.
BMW has backed up the badge with more satisfied customers than Infiniti, more power, better quality interiors, better leather, more features, higher resell values, and better warranty. But it IS more expensive.
So yeah..
"If" you have an extra 10k + to shell out a "435" will most likely be a better car. I dont know how the 328/330 coupes or sedans do against the G sedan.
I can careless about the brand facts are facts.

Maybe the IPL or whatever they call it will fight the "435" but it won't be an M3 competitor so ill wait to see how Infinitis top model does against the 435
Current IPL coupe can't out perform a 335 coupe either.
Sorry for the long rant, but no I don't just look at badges.

G/ Q will continue to be the best bang for the buck like the G always has been. Nothing under 45k is better. That's why I keep buying them.
The G37 coupe with sport package handles better, check any review you want.. And i disagree with you on the resale value, leather feel, more features and satisfied customers. Resale value on the G is awesome, a 03 G35 coupe 6MT will cost about the same as a 02 e46 M3.. When the M3 was double the price new. Moving on to the leather, the regular 3 series has very ruff leather (IF so equipped). The 3 series doesnt have a backup camera as stock, the coupe doesnt even have it as an option! The G has keyless entry which is an option on the 3.. Moving on to the satisfied customers portion, 90% of 3 series drivers just got the car because of the badge, they think it is the best car out there because of their lack of car knowledge so of course they will be completely satisfied with the badge.. And bmw has great marketing as well.

Originally Posted by Nothin2Somethin
Yea, 3 series have always been a step ahead of the g in terms of power. Only reason the g35 had it on the 330 is because that body and power plant of the 330 had been out for at least 4 years. 335 came along and it was game over for the g35 and g37... Our cars are very reliable and i think the best bang for your buck when comparing to the 3. But as far as performance, BMW has it. Infiniti definitely has to close that gap and this is their chance. We'll see as like all of you I am anxious to see what kind of power plant the next g is coming with.
You cant say Bmw has always been ahead in terms of power because last generation cars, the G35 killed the 330 in every way. The 335 engine came out in 2007 so that isnt in the G35s year range. Not to mention the 335 is turboed and goes against the whole N/A inline 6 bmw heritage.

On that note, I do like Bmws, just hate the hype the owners give it, the new 335 lost to both the C class (a 2007 chassis) and ATS, so they are already below even the current body G37.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Today's 335i and the G37 (RDW/Sport) are about as close to one another in their class as two different cars can be, even though they take a different approach getting there. It's pretty funny whenever I read people talking about "closing the gap" blah blah blah.

If by "gap", you mean the narrowest possible gap there is... um, OK. There's a gap.
Nicely said, I completely agree..
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by BeefMaster
And who doesn't love halos !
For a moment there, I wasn't sure if you were joking or not.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by P Casey
Add $400 to a 335i and you gain about 80-100hp
Anybody here wish this was the case with our car?

But noooooooo....we have to spend $3645638392928364644 to get 5hp cuz Infiniti didn't feel like building a tuner car.

F this G....I'm gonna go get an '86 yugo.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 PM
volnedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am already debating the topic the OP started with this thread. I have owned/leased 6 G variants (3 coupes and 3 sedans) over the past 9 years. Before anyone's quick to judge, I had a 12 month lease on an '06 coupe and currently in an 18 month lease on a '12 sedan.

I briefly went to a Kia Optima SX, but really missed having a manual and the overall handling of that car was not quite complete. The vehicle would always "wander" on the freeway, like the road crown kept changing every 30 seconds. It was very annoying.

I really like the A4 and new 328, because I would like an awd turbo-4 with manual, but the lease rates on the Infiniti blow the other OEMs out of the water. My current '12 G37S 6MT sticker is $43k, but with incentives and discounts my lease is $350/mo. Same lease term/conditons for an A4 with sticker of $38k was $475/mo. The 328 was even higher.

If the Q50 can lean on its value and still be the best bang for your buck at under $45k, then yes I still plan to get one after my lease is up. If not, then I am ready to jump on the Cadillac ATS 2.0T 6MT with heavy incentives and a GM discount.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
The G37 coupe with sport package handles better, check any review you want.. And i disagree with you on the resale value, leather feel, more features and satisfied customers. Resale value on the G is awesome, a 03 G35 coupe 6MT will cost about the same as a 02 e46 M3.. When the M3 was double the price new. Moving on to the leather, the regular 3 series has very ruff leather (IF so equipped). The 3 series doesnt have a backup camera as stock, the coupe doesnt even have it as an option! The G has keyless entry which is an option on the 3.. Moving on to the satisfied customers portion, 90% of 3 series drivers just got the car because of the badge, they think it is the best car out there because of their lack of car knowledge so of course they will be completely satisfied with the badge.. And bmw has great marketing as well.

You cant say Bmw has always been ahead in terms of power because last generation cars, the G35 killed the 330 in every way. The 335 engine came out in 2007 so that isnt in the G35s year range. Not to mention the 335 is turboed and goes against the whole N/A inline 6 bmw heritage.

On that note, I do like Bmws, just hate the hype the owners give it, the new 335 lost to both the C class (a 2007 chassis) and ATS, so they are already below even the current body G37.
With BMW it's about the badge. The badge and the name are synonymous. Infiniti should be so lucky.

The 335 is smoother, more refined, and shifts better than my g37. That's not hype. I saw that specific review. Nobody cares, look at bmws financials. I drive a car, not a review.

I really like my g, it's the best in class for value. I hope the q raises the bar, and this doesn't turn into another BMW vs Infiniti thread.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I have a 2010. I plan on keeping it for awhile. Whatever Infiniti has in another 3-5 years, we will see!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I kinda want a Boss 302 Mustang... but it only has 2 doors and I like 4. Odd, because 90% of the time I drive alone... so I don't even need the 2nd door most of the time.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by g37guy01
With BMW it's about the badge. The badge and the name are synonymous.
Ask most any one of us what you drive, and the likely answer is, "I drive a G." Ask a 335i owner what they drive, and the likely answer is, "I drive a BMW." There's a subtle difference there, and it is not complimentary to the BMW owner. At least, not by my reasoning.

Now fast-forward a bit, and ask yourself how the Q50 and Q60 owners would respond to that question. Would they say, "I drive a Q"?

A Q what?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 AM
g37guy01

Ask most any one of us what you drive, and the likely answer is, "I drive a G." Ask a 335i owner what they drive, and the likely answer is, "I drive a BMW." There's a subtle difference there, and it is not complimentary to the BMW owner. At least, not by my reasoning.

Now fast-forward a bit, and ask yourself how the Q50 and Q60 owners would respond to that question. Would they say, "I drive a Q"?

A Q what?
I used to say, I drive a 3 series when I had my BMW. When people ask me what I drive now, the answer is a 2011 Infiniti g37. The subtext is, is my mind people knew what a 3 series was, but don't know what a g37 is. I've heard people say I drive a Benz. Is that not complimentary to Mercedes? Or I drive an "ouch"DI.

I agree about the Q. There is no brand recognition on that.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 AM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm waiting to see the reveal and if they will have a 6MT sedan. I've heard rumours they won't with the next generation, but they are just rumours. If Infiniti still wants to be seen as a performance brand I think they need to offer it, otherwise BMW and Audi will be gaining all the enthusiast customers.

A 4 cylinder turbo would be nice (and that's what it kinda sounds like in the teaser video), but if they still offer a DI version of the 3.7 VQ I would probably opt for that.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by g37guy01
I used to say, I drive a 3 series when I had my BMW.
Because car enthusiast.

Make/model recognition, association, identity... it's an interesting discussion. And different values will emerge depending on the individual. Clearly with this new "Q" scheme, Infiniti is trying to create an association with the Brand over the Model.

It's a move that likely appeals to the bulk of their market, just not to the typical enthusiast. Someone who will go out of their way to buy the 6MT Sedan is unlikely to refer to their car as an "Infiniti". At least, that's how it works for me... I almost never call my can an Infiniti. Something about that makes me a little uncomfortable.

It's a G.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
g37guy01

Because car enthusiast.

. ..Something about that makes me a little uncomfortable.

It's a G.
Yes, that's why I never called the 3er a BMW.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM
stratos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm expecting the new Q50 to be better in every way than the current G. That's what the president said on his letter to the name change haters. Of course, that's what the president would say.... so we will see when we will see it.

I'm more worried about the value factor. Will it be price in the 40k or 50k range?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
I imagine that the Q will be in the 50k range. Here is a quote from the president of Infiniti regarding the naming process.

So the solution is pretty straightforward - use Q for cars, QX for crossovers, and double digits in increments of ten, to denote hierarchy, linked to the price point of the model, not size and not engine displacement.

Quick Reply: Are you sticking with Infiniti if the Q50 doesn't impress?