G37 Sedan

Are you sticking with Infiniti if the Q50 doesn't impress?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 03:31 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I strongly dislike verts.
This would be the only convertible I would get...

But the coupes...

Still, if I HAD to have a vert it would be that one, but would prefer it to be a hardtop vert...

Last edited by '11G37S; 12-19-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:18 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I just really don't see a point in a coupe.... why would I buy a coupe when I could buy a perfectly good sedan?? If it is going to have 2 doors, it is going to have a roof that opens.

Some people just don't get open top motoring. But IMO there is nothing like a roadster. Just you, the sun shining, and the the entire world is exposed. Can hear everything, exhaust is right behind your head, it is just awesome...

I feel like most aren't into it because its too 'girly' for them to be in a convertible or it isn't 'manly' enough and I just could really give a **** less lol. Don't buy cars for what others think. To me it is the best kind of driving. Have my sedan for being all enclosed. Convert is for summer fun and just enjoying the weather.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
I feel like most aren't into it because its too 'girly' for them to be in a convertible or it isn't 'manly' enough and I just could really give a **** less lol.
What? No, that's not it at all.

Verts are noisy, distracting, uncomfortable and awkward. I can't stand having glare in my eyes. In fact, I never, ever pull back the shade on my sunroof, much less actually open it. If I could have picked up my G without a sunroof, I would have done so. And let's not forget the extra 400 pounds you have to carry around owning a convertible.

Wannabe, for people who see their car as an aspect of their outward image, then you're presumption has some merit, although only a little. But for people like you and me, it's about automotive values, not image. You like the driving experience of verts, and I can't stand it.

That's all it is, man. You need to rethink your predispositions to gender bias.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I wouldn't mind a hardtop vert like on an S2k, but a ragtop no way. Just too noisy, gets worse over time and very prone to vandalism.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
I borrowed this 2010 Vert from a friend 2+ years ago. He found out I was interested in getting a G37S 6MT, and offered me his 6MT Vert for a few days, so I could live with it. It was a fascinating car, but completely impractical, as well as all the things I mentioned above; (noise, glare, etc.) And although the Vert 6MT has shorter rear gears (but no VLSD, which is weird), it still felt somewhat sluggish, and went around corners like a brick on a bungee cord.

That's one of my kids operating the roof controls. And to Wannabesport's point, she is a girl, so...

Last edited by Rochester; 12-20-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I borrowed this 2010 Vert from a friend 2+ years ago. He found out I was interested in getting a G37S 6MT, and offered me his 6MT Vert for a few days, so I could live with it. It was a fascinating car, but completely impractical, as well as all the things I mentioned above; (noise, glare, etc.) And although the Vert 6MT has shorter rear gears (but no VLSD, which is weird), it still felt somewhat sluggish, and went around corners like a brick on a bungee cord.

That's one of my kids operating the roof controls. And to Wannabesport's point, she is a girl, so...
I like the little nod of the head at the end of of the video. It's as if she saying 'you can get in the passenger seat now dad, we're going for a ride'

That roof opening seems a pretty choppy and timely process compared to a few others.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:34 AM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I share both a part of wannabe's view and Rochester's. IMHO the G hardtop convertible is one of the nicest looking. I've borrowed my brother's SLK and driven around in my neighbor's 370Z roadster. Really fun, really really enjoyable once you get used to the feeling of being on display. They do get a certain amount of attention from the opposite sex, and even though I'm happily married, being noticed that way never hurts your self-esteem. But verts are heavier, slower, handle worse, and at least on the G the top is a rattle trap maintenance nightmare. Spend some time in the G convertible part of this forum. Neighbor's 370Z is just as bad. It's been a great car for him except for nightmares with the top. I swear the car has spent more time at the dealer than in his driveway.

In the end, if I lived in a warmer climate, I mightl consider it despite the drawbacks. But here it's at most a 4-month proposition and you suffer the drawbacks all year long. Plus I spend much of my driving time commuting and might not end up putting the top down very much even in the summer.

Greg
Old 12-20-2013, 03:10 PM
elrey85
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I wouldn't mind a hardtop vert like on an S2k, but a ragtop no way. Just too noisy, gets worse over time and very prone to vandalism.
I agree on the S2K since I owned one it is honestly the best handling and most fun car I have ever driven or owned. I obviously havent driven every car out there but I had good amount that friends let me drive for curiosity. But on an S2K a hard top would be to heavy for that small roadster. That car is so light and handles well partly because of that. The most anoying and probably the only annoying things about that car was the road noise and cheap interior speakers. The top took seconds to go and down though which was a plus. It was all worth it though in the end cause OMG I miss that car.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by elrey85
I agree on the S2K since I owned one it is honestly the best handling and most fun car I have ever driven or owned. I obviously havent driven every car out there but I had good amount that friends let me drive for curiosity. But on an S2K a hard top would be to heavy for that small roadster. That car is so light and handles well partly because of that. The most anoying and probably the only annoying things about that car was the road noise and cheap interior speakers. The top took seconds to go and down though which was a plus. It was all worth it though in the end cause OMG I miss that car.
The hardtop on a buddies S2K wasn't all that heavy and looked really nice, didn't notice any of the noise associated w/ the ragtop. I'd love to find a clean old S2k for a project car, those things are a blast! Around here they're pretty determined to mess up ragtops (damn lowlifes )
Old 12-20-2013, 04:02 PM
elrey85
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The hardtop on a buddies S2K wasn't all that heavy and looked really nice, didn't notice any of the noise associated w/ the ragtop. I'd love to find a clean old S2k for a project car, those things are a blast! Around here they're pretty determined to mess up ragtops (damn lowlifes )
Yes the OEM S2K hardtop isnt to bad in terms of weight and there are even lighter aftermarket ones out there. I thought you were talking about the retractable hard top like the G verts have which are so much heavier. But yes I was scared every night that the soft top could be cut into very easily. Still worth it though.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:47 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 234 Posts
What? No, that's not it at all.

Verts are noisy, distracting, uncomfortable and awkward. I can't stand having glare in my eyes. In fact, I never, ever pull back the shade on my sunroof, much less actually open it.
I could not have set this better myself. The only thing I really miss about my 04 is that it did not have a sun roof.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:35 AM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So true. The G is the best.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:36 AM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^Agreed. Tesla is sick!
Old 12-22-2013, 03:43 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Wouldn't touch a G convert with a 10 foot pole. Big heavy boats. Feels worse than my sedan...

I am talking a properly balanced convert like a 911, S2k, Z4 etc. Or something ridiculous like a Bentley GTC. None of this in between, it was a sedan then a coupe then lets chop the roof off... not into that. Agree with you there. I like drivers convertibles.

And I guess I see your point. I love the sun though. My roof is open every chance I get and I love having my windows down. I am an 'outdoorsy' kinda person though.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:48 PM
lilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow this thread had taken off!

Sorry guys, I was extremely busy with finals and holidays! I haven't visited any of my regular forums either.

Congrats, I'm hoping the Q60 will be a better step forward. Post a pic of your 4 when you can.
thanks man!

pic below

Originally Posted by chilibowl
Did you lease the 435?
yes sir

A 2DR BMW with a better drive-train and starting over $50K with the M-Sport option, probably much higher by the time you're done checking off options... that's quite a different (and better) car than the Q50. Congrats, lilb. Although seeing what you ended up with, I'm surprised you even considered the INFINITI at all.

On a side note, and don't take this personally, but there's nothing M or Sport about the M-Sport. It's rather like buying the G37xS Sedan. If it were me, I'd love that new car of yours, but I sure wouldn't tell people it's a M-Sport.
i was just specifying the trim, had no intention to brag if that's what it came off as

the only M thing about the car is the suspension!

Originally Posted by 07G
Congrats. I ended up getting the 335i XDrive M-Sport this summer. Hope you also ordered the MPPK, if not order it. Enjoy!
nice what color did you get?

MPPK wasn't available at the time I'll have to check if it's now available!

Originally Posted by Tazicon
You know, as much as I have loved the Datsun/Nissan/Infiniti brand I think you made a very good decision there.

I have already moved on but I am still hopeful. I will be keeping my eye on the upcoming Z's as well as the IPL's when they come out. If something peaks my interest I will jump on it as I always do.

i loved my G and would've remained with the brand had the Q50 lived up to my expectations.. essentially they just re-released the same vehicle

^My thoughts exactly. They didn't change the things that needed changing (the powertrain.)

More refinement, better fuel economy, and a good transmission.

They changed the things I liked (The steering, the interior electronics) and made it look... meh to me.

This.

A 911 will be in my garage within the next 5 years but it will be my sunny day car, and a cabriolet... depending on what my needs are in 2015, the car that replaces my G will either be a 3 or 5 series, or an X5.
we have a 535i as well and it is a great vehicle

did you see the redesigned x5?

Quick Reply: Are you sticking with Infiniti if the Q50 doesn't impress?