G37 Sedan

G37xS in the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM
jb606

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37xS in the Snow

I should have bought some good winter tires....The open diff(s) and the OE all season tires make the G a real handful to work with in the snow. A limited slip diff in back would have been a help.

That "Snow" button just remaps the throttle BTW. I was able to get snow rooster tails with our without snow mode enabled.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 PM
rmoochi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the same car but a 2012 and i have the same problem the snow button does nothing for me.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It's all about good tires. I have a RWD S and was just up in the blizzard in the northeast running Continental DWS and while the snow tire-laden vehicles were better on the sleet-covered roads, I fared quite well on a 6 hour trip through hell.

Get better tires.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
^ WHS
I also have an S (on Mich X-Ice) and had an X before it (on Blizzaks). No problems in the snow.
This car (all cars imho) needs snow tires if you live where it gets cold and snowy - Plain and simple.

@rmoochi - you should definitely feel a difference in throttle response with the snow mode enabled.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ashmostro
It's all about good tires. I have a RWD S and was just up in the blizzard in the northeast running Continental DWS and while the snow tire-laden vehicles were better on the sleet-covered roads, I fared quite well on a 6 hour trip through hell.

Get better tires.
What size DWS are you running? I didn't think they came in our size (for the 'S')?

I have some experience with that tire - I like it a lot better than the RE050's in cooler/cold teamps. I don't have any snow in DFW area - but cold temps make the RE's hard and slippery...not much to my liking right now..
Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's odd...I'm running all seasons on my X and drive all over snow and ice up and down mountains last winter and never had a problem.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:01 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tejasg37x
That's odd...I'm running all seasons on my X and drive all over snow and ice up and down mountains last winter and never had a problem.
I agree. Not sure what they are talking about. I drove 2 years with all season and was doing great in snow. In addition to retarding the throttle, snow button locks torque split to 50/50 up to a higher speed rather than 25/75 to a lower speed. Some people will tell you otherwise because it's not documented in the manual but from my daily spirited winter driving in deep snow (north of Montana & North Dakota) with VDC off, I truly believe that's how it behaves.

My buddy just bought a G37x as well, same as mine. He's also doing great with all season.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:47 AM
ashmostro

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
What size DWS are you running? I didn't think they came in our size (for the 'S')?

I have some experience with that tire - I like it a lot better than the RE050's in cooler/cold teamps. I don't have any snow in DFW area - but cold temps make the RE's hard and slippery...not much to my liking right now..
I'm running stock sport sedan fitment.... Tire track doesn't show those sizes automatically for some reason but they do exist... Just select the sizes manually!

What's the coldest it gets where you are? I've driven on my Michelin pss to freezing temps and they worked really well... They just don't like snow or ice.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm not going to get into a debate on why we should have snow tires in cold snowy climates other than to say 2 things:

1. the ability to STOP better/sooner on ice and snow can save our life (or someone else).

2. the cost offset a preventing a collision can severely outweigh the cost of purchasing an extra set of tires that are dedicated to the climate and conditions we are regularly driving the car in. Owning an extra set of tires is not an extra expense, for as long as they are on the vehicle, our AS/Summer set is not wearing out and vice-versa.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 AM
ashmostro

100% agreed.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
100% agreed.
100% agree in theory. In practice I haven't put snow tires on my car in 20 years.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm really happy with my xS in the snow ... using stock Dunlop tires. I'm sure it would be better with true snow tires but these are working fine for me. I do like the snow mode if it's really slick - makes it easy to feather the throttle, especially if I'm wearing heavy boots.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I'm not going to get into a debate on why we should have snow tires in cold snowy climates other than to say 2 things:

1. the ability to STOP better/sooner on ice and snow can save our life (or someone else).

2. the cost offset a preventing a collision can severely outweigh the cost of purchasing an extra set of tires that are dedicated to the climate and conditions we are regularly driving the car in. Owning an extra set of tires is not an extra expense, for as long as they are on the vehicle, our AS/Summer set is not wearing out and vice-versa.

Agreed...I did this when I lived in Idaho and Oregon.

But, in this case if someone is saying the X is a handful to control in the snow...it's not just a tire issue we are talking about here.

Last edited by tejasg37x; 12-28-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 AM
WILLDOGS
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you drive normally and smartly in the snow with an X, you will have no issues using all weather tires. I've never had any issues.

If you want to drive aggressively in the snow, then snow tires may be a better bet. But no tire in the world will 100% stop slippage in the snow when flooring it.

Let off the gas a bit and i'm sure rooster tails will be minimal
Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm running stock sport sedan fitment.... Tire track doesn't show those sizes automatically for some reason but they do exist... Just select the sizes manually!

What's the coldest it gets where you are? I've driven on my Michelin pss to freezing temps and they worked really well... They just don't like snow or ice.
Average low temps are in the mid 30's for Dec/Jan/Feb. We get some lower..

BUT- the RE's get noticeably slippery under @50ish degrees. Having said that - they stick pretty well when it is 100+ degrees

Good to know the PSS work well into the 30's...they are on my list. Also - good to know about the DWS. I will be in the market for tires some time in 2013...

Thanks!

Quick Reply: G37xS in the Snow