G37 Sedan

G37xS in the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 AM
CRV_33
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm running the Hankook Ventus V4 and they seem to be holding up very well against the Minnesota snow and extremely cold temperatures. Oddly in the rainy months these tires hydroplane like crazy.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Average low temps are in the mid 30's for Dec/Jan/Feb. We get some lower..

BUT- the RE's get noticeably slippery under @50ish degrees. Having said that - they stick pretty well when it is 100+ degrees

Good to know the PSS work well into the 30's...they are on my list. Also - good to know about the DWS. I will be in the market for tires some time in 2013...

Thanks!

You bet bud. While I do NOT recommend it, I got caught in a small flurry on my PSS over Thanksgiving and through judicious operation of the happy pedal, was able to get home in one piece (200 mile drive, btw). I think we would have died if we have the crappy RE's still. They are horrible.

Again, I'm not at all promoting the use of summer tires in winter conditions... just relaying my personal experience. YMMV.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM
thebals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[My $0.02]
I have been using snow tires for winter on my G for the past 2 winters I have had it. I go up to the mountains often, and they make a huge difference in traction in snow and ice. My G37x is better in the snow than my front wheel based AWD CUV (also on snow tires). Probably the much lower center of gravity of the G plays a major part there.

Sure, all-season tires are sufficient "IF" one drives normally and smartly; but the problem is most people don't realize the amount of extra caution required to be safe on cold icy roads.

Snow tires have helped me stop quicker and shorter in unforeseen sudden stop situations. Plus I agree 100% with rpm&my_G35 that having a set of dedicated snows isn't much extra expense over the life of the 2 sets of tires. Especially if you live where you expect snow more than a couple times every winter, it is well worth it.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gsm026
I'm really happy with my xS in the snow ... using stock Dunlop tires. I'm sure it would be better with true snow tires but these are working fine for me. I do like the snow mode if it's really slick - makes it easy to feather the throttle, especially if I'm wearing heavy boots.
Yeap, Xs on stock dunlop tires going on 4th year and seen two bad snow storm the first 2 year. Saw quite a feel car stuck, they looking at me with a confuse expression, as I drive by...priceless lol. Had 3 other cars before the G and remember I had to keep a shovel, gloves, salt and a bag of gravel in car . Happy how car perform in snow. However, I do notice the type of road (asphalt, concrete..etc) plays a factor too.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Good to know the PSS work well into the 30's...they are on my list.
I ran the PSS down to 0C (freezing), without snow or ice, they performed perfectly fine. Just as good as the stock dunlops. However, nothing beats snow tires
Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 PM
alanz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sneakers
Yeap, Xs on stock dunlop tires going on 4th year and seen two bad snow storm the first 2 year. Saw quite a feel car stuck, they looking at me with a confuse expression, as I drive by...priceless lol. Had 3 other cars before the G and remember I had to keep a shovel, gloves, salt and a bag of gravel in car . Happy how car perform in snow. However, I do notice the type of road (asphalt, concrete..etc) plays a factor too.
Good to hear Dunlop holds up fine. So far only one snow storm in upstate NY, I have yet to drive out to an empty parking lot to get a feel of G's AWD capability.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 AM
fx45guy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock all season Dunlops have one of the worst snow ratings on tire rack. Sold them on ebay, put Blizzaks on the sport 18s, and run coupe 19s with DWSs in the summer.

The car is a dream with Blizzaks just like my wife's FX45 with Blizzaks. Living in Cleveland, it's just plain stupid to not have dedicated snows.