G37 Sedan

Just came back from 30k oil change and I found...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:43 AM
matchan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just came back from 30k oil change and I found...

2010 G37 Journey Prem
Replaced Oil / Filter with Mobil 1 as usual. 30k mileage.

Got the vehicle inspection report...

3 issues

1) Need new tires. Please recommend A/S tires for spirited driving
2) Brakes fluid exchange - Is this a bleed or just drain old fluid and put new in ?
3) Air induction dirty -- WTF ? What does this really mean ?
4) Is the quoted price reasonable ?

Thanks for your input
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
1. You can check Consumer Survey Results By Category for top listed UHP A/S tires listed and pick the best one you can afford.

2. They'll probably bleed the old fluid out while adding new fluid until all the old fluid is out.

3. Air induction..I'm going to assume this is probably the air filters and in-cabin filter.

4. 121$ Sounds to be a good deal for brake fluid. 191$ is just insane for the filters to be changed.

Curious where did you get your car serviced at?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 AM
matchan

Austin infiniti

Upon reading the PDF, here is a description
Old 12-11-2012, 08:31 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I like these, and site Vendor Treadepot has great deals on them, ask for Andrew and tell them him you're a myg37 member and he'll get you an even better price
PROXES 4 PLUS
Here's a good road review on them too~
:MoparMax: Product Review - Toyo Proxes 4 Plus Ultra-High Performance All-Season Tire - 8/2/2012
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Continental DWS FTW!!1
Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
#1 - fair enough. tires wear out. i'll assume they know how to gauge tread depth correctly.
#2 - seems early. your car is only 2 years old. some guys change brake fluid every 2 years, others go on a 3/4 year cycle. depends on your climate and driving habits (if you do heavy braking frequently i.e. track days).
regardless, $130 + tax and shop fees is high. but if this is at a dealer then that is why. if you don't mind paying too much for services then that is their price.

#3 - that is a soak job, my man. not only is the price way high but the interval is haywire as well. unless you live next to a coal mine and drive around with dirty filters, you should not need this service at 2 years, let alone the 15k miles interval that your shop recommends. this is a classic upsell item. i've seen it before as well when at the dealer (only for warranty work) and it is always good for a laugh.

i'm surprised they didn't try the "change coolant" upsell as well. that is another classic.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1) Continental DWS or Michelin Pilot AS Sport
2) They'll bleed your lines and add new fluid in.
3) Assuming this is your intake and AC filter that they're talking about? Buy the filters yourself and install yourself. Should take all of 30 minutes.
4) Stealership prices so I guess it's "reasonable". Still don't understand why they charge so much to change some stupid filters. Filters should be changed annually though. However brake fluid should only require you to bleed every ~40-50k miles, depending on how you drive.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
1. Tires wear out
2. DIY it. There's numerous threads on here how to bleed brakes. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to incorporate a full fluid swap into the bleeding process....and all you'd be paying for is the fluid of your CHOICE.
3. DIY it. There's numerous threads on here how to change filters. Seriously, most filters are easy as hell to change on this vehicle and take minimal time/effort/mechanical skills.

Please don't get torched by going to a shop/dealer for the really easy stuff.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2 - DIY (here's mine) or buy some fluid from Autozone and take it to your local shop... they shouldn't charge more than $40 do to it for you.

3 - Probably the intake and/or throttle body. Although, if they're saying they found your injectors to be that dirty... did they disassemble the engine while you got an oil change?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:11 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Filters are pretty easy to change... look under your hood and check them out. If they are dirty, replace them. If not, keep trucking. Takes 3 seconds to look at them.

Brakes: eh If your easy on them let it go a little longer. $130 bucks for a brake fluid job doesn't seem that bad though. I wouldn't worry about changing the fluid though. Especially at 30k. Put new tires on, swap out the filters, and call it good.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
#2 and #3 are wastes of money in my opinion.... if #3 means you need new air filters change them yourself.

#2 is a waste of money unless you plan on keeping the car for a long time (15 years or more). This preventative maintenance is not listed in the Infiniti recommend service schedule.

Brake fluid does darken with age but a dark color dosen't mean much. Over time brake fluid absorbs moisture an creates rust/pitting on the cylinder bores and the rubber seals eventual fail due to abrasion. This takes a loooooong time to happen and is common on a)classic cars, b) old beaters, c) cars that sit forever (classic cars)

The dealer will recommend all kinds of crap - carbon treatments, etc that you do not need. My bible is the Infiniti factory recommended service schedule and if isn't in there and the dealer is recommending it, then the dealer is feeding on you.

Brian
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
In my opinion, this is another waste of money if you use name brand detergent gasoline. If you really want to be **** and do this go buy a can of seafoam and follow the instructions on the back on how how to add it directly for a "top end" clean. This involves popping off an intake hose and sucking in the seafoam so that it is pulled in through intake vacuum and sucked directly into the cylinders through the intake valve. Shut the engine down when it starts to smoke and let it sit. Repeat.

Remember, Infiniti the corporation the designed our engines does not recommend this as part of preventative maintenance. Only dealers looking to monetize service departments recommend these services. Every 15k miles??? Please......

Brian

Originally Posted by matchan
Austin infiniti

Upon reading the PDF, here is a description
Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
#3 - that is a soak job, my man. not only is the price way high but the interval is haywire as well. unless you live next to a coal mine and drive around with dirty filters, you should not need this service at 2 years, let alone the 15k miles interval that your shop recommends. this is a classic upsell item. i've seen it before as well when at the dealer (only for warranty work) and it is always good for a laugh.
Correct. Also known as an upper-engine cleaning service. BG Products is a big name in that market. Would it hurt? No, unless they inadvertently whack one of your TB units out of calibration. Would it help? Not on a VQ with only 30K miles it won't.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:18 AM
cl335

Pilot AS sports. You won't regret it
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by monty2003
Brake fluid does darken with age but a dark color dosen't mean much.
It could mean it can no longer withstand high temps as well.

Quick Reply: Just came back from 30k oil change and I found...