G37 Sedan

Eeeeuuuuuuuuurrrrrt!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by ashmostro
I hope so! I want a good discussion What's *your* opinion?
Actually I've owned & driven plenty of sporty cars over the years and tend to drive a bit more on the aggressive side but have never done much research into brake technology. I'm finding this very interesting and am trying to bring my knowledge of braking & suspension parts up to speed. I'd love to end up w/ a BBK and some premium rotors but will probably just end up trying to get some decent upgraded rotors & pads for my "baby" brakes We're not in proximity to any tracks or I think I'd have taken my G down that road too.

I find the slots w/ internal drilling to be a nice idea, get further weight savings and cooling but still keep the larger surface area of the "slotted-only" rotor.

Like John said, I doubt I could justify the price tag on those for a DD, but you're doing it right investing in top-notch brakes for your future tracking addiction (which I doubt there's a cure, lol)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The only cure is... MORE COWBELL! ...errr... more track, I mean!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Gear swap would be A very effective mod! I wouldn't do it myself simply because i feel first gear is pretty short to begin with on my 7at, but i haven't driven a 6mt.
6MT Sedan, because racecar.

I believe the rear gear swap is only applicable to the 6MT. Not positive, tho.

I hope so! I want a good discussion What's *your* opinion?
The Newt has done all you can do with the OEM, non-sport brakes... which is pretty fine, IMO. Painted, branded and clean. Go on, newt, find one or two of those pictures, and post them. It's good work, show it off.

Given the attention to detail he's shown to modding his car, I'm thinking he wants these 2-piece rotors and Akebono calibers real, real bad. But then you do the math (rotors, calibers, lines, labor maybe), and you get scary close to a $3K mod.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 AM
ashmostro

Z1 has a package deal on the Akebono setup starting at $1400. Easy self-install in less than a day!

Z1 Akebono Sport Brake Upgrade Package
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
That's basically the OEM setup, with drilled/slotted rotors. Factor in the price tag for those sweet 2-piece rotors, and the price surely jumps. Maybe not all the way to $3k, I'll give you that.

Unless you live in Canada, in which case you need a 5-figure home equity loan and a notarized affidavit of employment.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM
ashmostro

The two-piece setup is extreme, and not needed by most. Even on the track, unless you are really pushing it, it's not necessary. I want to push it hard and not worry about being thermally underbraked, particularly in our hot summers. Most folks who would just do an HPDE a few times a year will be fine with plain old slotted one-piece jobs.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
The two-piece setup is extreme, and not needed by most. Even on the track, unless you are really pushing it, it's not necessary. I want to push it hard and not worry about being thermally underbraked, particularly in our hot summers. Most folks who would just do an HPDE a few times a year will be fine with plain old slotted one-piece jobs.
^ Actually, even blanks will work just fine, coupled with good pads and fluid.

One thing some folks don't realize though is that the type of wheel makes a difference in how well the brakes get cooled.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM
ashmostro

Agreed mike. Blanks would be fine indeed! Main reason for slots is deglazing and more even pad wear, not cooling.

Also agreed on the wheel design.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Gear swap would be A very effective mod! I wouldn't do it myself simply because i feel first gear is pretty short to begin with on my 7at, but i haven't driven a 6mt.

I did a gearing change on my old Ducati and was duly impressed with the acceleration but ended up going nearly back to stock eventually once i realized i just needed to drive her differently. Having the taller gearing at high speed mastered to me.
Ash, you might find this thread interesting: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...installed.html

At the moment, I'm doing some passive research on rear gears in our car, and still haven't figured out what the gear ratio is on the Sedan 6MT.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 AM
ashmostro

I'm subscribed to that thread

I'm still less interested in gearing for some reason... I know it's effective but I like the idea of optimizing the powerplant. I'm going to focus on tuning- it just gives me a warm fuzzy to know the motor is in its sweet(est) spot.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
FWIW, i think the motor is already pretty close to it's max efficiency. There's a reason most tuners can't get much out of it like it would on a lot of domestics.

The shaft will essentially give you back any power lost through the drivetrain. Although i'm not convinced it's a good idea for a daily driver.

Gear changes will help quite a bit. I've always found the G to be a bit "low" on low end torque, even compared to my previous car -- a 5.5 Gen Maxima. Where the G is a great highway car, the Max felt lighter on its feet around town.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by soundmike
I've always found the G to be a bit "low" on low end torque, even compared to my previous car -- a 5.5 Gen Maxima. Where the G is a great highway car, the Max felt lighter on its feet around town.
Same here, Mike. My last car was a modified 5.5 Gen Maxima 6MT, and even though the G is clearly (and effortlessly) faster overall, the Maxima felt more responsive throughout. But it was modified, after all, so apples & oranges.

As to being lighter on its feet... that's because it was. While still being a larger car, it was also 500 pounds lighter than this Infiniti.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 AM
09ChiG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice rotors!!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 AM
ashmostro

Shaft? Driveshaft? Rochester was taking about gearing, no? Or in my stupor from flying back home did i miss something?

As for gearing- yeah I'm not sure for a dd either. As i said I did on my Ducati and eventually returned it back to stock sprocket tooth count.

I feel the the 7at is geared pretty short already, too. As for lack of torque, you are right but I like revvers so I think that's why i don't notice it with my driving style.

I do want to get a better LSD in the long run though! And I've also decided I'm going to throw my rear 245s on the front wheels and get 275s out back for a square and yet more grippy setup as i was traction limited on the road course sooner than i expected. Which will force me to resolve the fuel starvation problem sooner.... And the cycle goes on!

Last edited by ashmostro; 11-29-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Shaft? Driveshaft? Rochester was taking about gearing, no? Or in my stupor from flying back home did i miss something?
I think (total guess) that Mike is making reference to replacing your driveshaft with a lightweight aluminum or CF design, as another mod option.

That's my best guess. Or he just likes "Shaft".