G37 Sedan

Fuel Range Warning @ 100 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Erik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Range Warning @ 100 miles?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum, new to Infinti actually. I have a 09 G37 Base with 30,000 miles on it but no manual. So I'm working out all the little nuances. Been driving it for a month and the Range Alert seemed to be working fine. But last night after it sat for a few hours I started it up and the Range Alert went on and it said i had 100 miles to empty. Happened this morning too but it said 68 miles to empty. Usually it comes on at around 28. What gives? Is it compensating for my driving habits or does this seem like an error? Could not find anything specific to this in the Search area. Thanks in advance for any help.

E
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
^ out of curiosity, where was the gas gauge needle in each instance?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
hmm, odd. mine usually comes on with ~70kms (40mi) remaining. perhaps you are on a hill, which would slosh the fuel to the back or front of the tank, thus tricking the gauge into thinking you were lower than actual?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate the DTE warnings in the G37, it's incredibly conservative and often inaccurate.
Sometimes, when I drive aggressively, the DTE drops from like 60 to 0 in a matter of seconds.
The following users liked this post:
jsheets (02-12-2015)
Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik
Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum, new to Infinti actually. I have a 09 G37 Base with 30,000 miles on it but no manual. So I'm working out all the little nuances. Been driving it for a month and the Range Alert seemed to be working fine. But last night after it sat for a few hours I started it up and the Range Alert went on and it said i had 100 miles to empty. Happened this morning too but it said 68 miles to empty. Usually it comes on at around 28. What gives? Is it compensating for my driving habits or does this seem like an error? Could not find anything specific to this in the Search area. Thanks in advance for any help.

E
Do you set your odometer to zero when you fill up?

You should have a rough idea how far you can go on a full tank. ie 18 gallons @ 20 MPG =360 miles

Telcoman
Old 11-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Erik

Thanks for the replies. The needle was accurate. At about 1/4 tank. I was parked on a level lot. Kinda cold outside. I filled up this mornig so I'll keep you informed if it happes again. I'm sort of inclined to chaulk it up to a computer anomoly. It was odd. I got the yellow exclaimation point and the message that i had a 100 mile range left. I shut the car off and restarted and it went away. Little concerning.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Tara Wood

This just happened to me.. Help!?

I know this is an old thread, but what did you do to fix this? I've read other threads about taking the tank out of the car and cleaning it, but I'm a little worried that the car has started to act up (especially due to the fact it's the gas).

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2014, 09:44 PM
RPG11

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Tara Wood
I know this is an old thread, but what did you do to fix this? I've read other threads about taking the tank out of the car and cleaning it, but I'm a little worried that the car has started to act up (especially due to the fact it's the gas).

Thanks!
Try an ecu reset just disconnect the battery for a couple of mins connect it again should be fine. mine said it had 100 to E i did that it went up to 150 to E.. dumb computer dont sweat it.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:41 AM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
resurrecting an old thread...
I was on the bottom of a tank yesterday, range was indicating what I expected, went down to about 35km then just flashed *** which is fair, needle was bottomed out.

Then I went and filled and it only took 60L! (roughly 16 US gallons) which as far as I know is about 4 gallons short of a full tank. Is this typical? I seem to recall on my altima that it would zero out the range WELL before the tank was actually empty
Old 10-02-2014, 10:16 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
sometimes after filling my tank up completely my needle doesn't always get to F. But my DTE range is all over the place so I just fill up at a quarter tank
Old 10-03-2014, 06:37 AM
acesk8er

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chris_s
Then I went and filled and it only took 60L! (roughly 16 US gallons) which as far as I know is about 4 gallons short of a full tank. Is this typical? I seem to recall on my altima that it would zero out the range WELL before the tank was actually empty
Another former Altima owner here... This has been my typical experience, too. The Altima would take 20 gallons when I let the gas gauge needle hover close to "E" while it's rare for my G to take more than 17 gallons and that happens only when the trip odometer exceeds 400 miles between fill ups.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:56 PM
tai01

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
so this is the most recent thread I could find about range/fuel mileage - I've already read all the other ones from 2008, 2010.

My $0.02 stems from when I was driving a 2009 Accord and the marketing material says it holds 18.5 gal. I consistently fill up when it's almost absolutely empty and have gotten 18.7 gal in. Mind you, I wasn't trying to damage the fuel system but curious as to how much MPG the Accord could get and kept about 5 years of records for it. In my experience, without a "range" meter and as long as you know how far you can go with your car, you can get real close to the full tank of gas between fill ups.

Today, I ran the DTE meter down to "---" for about 5 mi and filled up at 17.5 gal. Since the meter is so conservative on these cars, is it okay to run it past the "---" to fill up every time at 18 gal or will it actually damage these cars? My driving is relatively consistent (350-400 mi between fill ups ~10 days).

Thoughts?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:59 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by acesk8er
Another former Altima owner here... This has been my typical experience, too. The Altima would take 20 gallons when I let the gas gauge needle hover close to "E" while it's rare for my G to take more than 17 gallons and that happens only when the trip odometer exceeds 400 miles between fill ups.
If the G is anything like the Maxima, the fuel pump is actually submerged and cooled by the gasoline. Over on the Maxima forum, they say if you actually run the car all the way to empty (true empty) you can damage the fuel pump.

I haven't done any fact checking on this...I just assume it's true.

This is probably why it's calibrated to show E when you're at like 2-3 gallons left in the tank.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Running the car low on gas absolutely positively does not harm your car in any way. Most people think it does and will repeat things that they've heard or read on the internet (so it must be true, right?). There is no trash/water/debris etc on the bottom of the tank that the fuel system will pick up when the tank gets low. I know this for a fact because I have actually seen inside the tank on many cars, including my G37 just 4 days ago. Nothing in there but gas. Running the car low on gas does not "burn up your fuel pump". The pump is inside the tank itself and is in the gasoline. Which is always cold no matter the temperate outside. There's always cold gas running through it to cool it, as well as floating in the cold gas. If you run out completely, the car will shut off from not having fuel long before any damage to your fuel pump occurs. If everything is functioning properly, you won't run out of gas just because the DTE hits zero. As you discovered, when the cluster gauge and the DTE computer tell you the car is completely empty, there is still anywhere between 2 to 3 gallons of gas in the tank. The most miles I've personally driven is 66 after it hit zero. Our gauge and DTE algorithm is very conservative. Even if you do run out of gas completely, it wont harm your car. Just don't repeatedly try to start it with no gas in the system. Put some back in the tank and it will start up and run like normal, no harm done.

I speak from personal experience. I have been in the tank of the G37 several times. My car is over 7 years old. I've had to go in the tank to service the fuel level sending units twice to get the gauge to read correctly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black Betty:
MILcityBoi (08-20-2015), tai01 (02-13-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Limmerbr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Running it dry, meaning no more gas left and the car can't go further is bad as you are pumping nothing so the pump can heat up.

this will damage the pump.

As for sucking stuff up, it really depends on the gas you put into it and if its old gas in the tank.

Quick Reply: Fuel Range Warning @ 100 miles?