G37 Sedan

2012 G37x and snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Yonald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2012 G37x and snow

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and was considering buying some Michelin x-ice tires but we have had snow falling straight for 3 days now and the car has just been phenomenal with the all weathers that came with it. I just figured with the time of year and all I would give a shout out to an overlooked (at least in my case) positive of the G. I swear I've been driving around all sorts of vehicles the past couple days and haven't even come close to getting stuck.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
You are absolutely right man, the X is quite capable even with all-seasons on, I cannot imagine what kind of traction would be available with a serious snow tire.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:17 PM
venkatsharat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is remarkable for a RWD based car.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in Michigan and two years ago I had all season tires on my G37x during the winter but last year I upgraded to x-ice and man is there a difference! With the x-ice I can accelerate out of a stop quicker, stop faster, just a lot more traction over the all season. I remember last year when I just arrived at work and everyone was complaining about how bad the road was that morning and I didn't even notice because of these tires. IMO its the best investment you can make for winter driving.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Yonald

My buddy owns a BMW 328i and swears by the x-ice's. Even though I'm so impressed with the performance of the all seasons I'll probably get the x-ice's as need a second set to put on my stock rims anyhow.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hechen507
I live in Michigan and two years ago I had all season tires on my G37x during the winter but last year I upgraded to x-ice and man is there a difference! With the x-ice I can accelerate out of a stop quicker, stop faster, just a lot more traction over the all season. I remember last year when I just arrived at work and everyone was complaining about how bad the road was that morning and I didn't even notice because of these tires. IMO its the best investment you can make for winter driving.
When everyone else on the road wearing all season tires, as it is the case at most places I see, I don't see much advantage to have snow tires on mine. You can only start from a stop as quickly as the guy in front of you with all seasons, and stop as quickly as the guy behind you are able to or your car would no longer be scratches free. Believe me, no amount of repair can make the car better than factory new. In most cases, AWD is more than equate regardless of tire types.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:26 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I too found the all seasons that came with the X to be fairly decent in snow and ice, but not nearly as good at my wife's Highlander with OEM all season tires. The point I am making is that AWD in the G masks the limitations of the OEMs. I would guess that the dedicated snow and ice tires would make the G unstoppable.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 AM
eugoogolizer

I got the bridgestone blizzaks installed two weeks ago. best investment I made so far.
haven't slipped once even tho we had like 20cm of snow the other day.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:47 AM
ericagodwin
Banned

I cannot imagine what kind of traction would be available with a serious snow tire.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
OP - what all seasons does the X come with on the 2012?
My 07 X had those GY RSA tires. They where good for the first winter, while they were still like new with 9-10/32nds tread. By by the second winter, with 18k km on them, they where down to 7/32nds and where pretty bad in the snow and slush. Still could not stop any better than most other vehicles, without snow tires.

Winter tires are the way to go. Note that while you're using the winter tires you're not wearing out your other tires so they will last you longer (time-wise). It really doesn't cost any more, in the long run, to own two sets of tires. There is also a huge market for used snows on rims if/when you don't need them anymore.

I think some still don't put enough emphasis on the most important thing, IMO...Stopping.
It seems like we tend to focus too much on how well an AWD can get moving in snow, ice and slush (relative to many other vehicles) with just having AS tires. I agree, that in traffic, you can't accelerate and drive faster than the guy(s) in front of you but I would rather be able to stop better than that guy. I don't want to hit someone. If someone hits me from behind then that's entirely their fault and usually from following to close.

/sermon

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 11-14-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: correction - NOT
Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by Yonald
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and was considering buying some Michelin x-ice tires but we have had snow falling straight for 3 days now and the car has just been phenomenal with the all weathers that came with it. I just figured with the time of year and all I would give a shout out to an overlooked (at least in my case) positive of the G. I swear I've been driving around all sorts of vehicles the past couple days and haven't even come close to getting stuck.
You would have decent traction even with summer tires on with the AWD. But wait until it is -20 and they turn to the consistency of hockey pucks. Winter tires are all about the compound not hardening in the extreme cold, not about tread or the visible aspects of traction.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Ra_
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree, very capable with stock all-season. I bought a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3s right when I bought the car in December, and wasn't able to install right away, and got caught out in the snow. Was very surprised at how it handled. Now, I'm holding off installing the winters, and will wait until the all-seasons wear down.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

We got over 30cm / 12in of snow since Friday in Regina, SK. My G37x with x-ice3 tires did just fine and the driving was so much fun. Since yesterday, I've been driving an X3 35i, and I have to say I still prefer the G in snow.

Even with stock all-seasons, the G preformed fine during the previous two winters.

Last edited by devil2k; 11-13-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Riley
Registered Member

I just put my winters on today.
For highway or really any driving having winter tires on the G37X makes it very capable car in the snow. I love it and assumng you can afford the extra set, it's money well spent in the snow belt.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Yonald

@rpm not even sure what my stock tires are. I'll take a look, tomorrow and let you know. The comment about the compound in the winter tires helped make my decision. i'm getting the x-ice. Plus that way I can have two rimmed sets one for winter with my oem rims and my all weathers on my after market rims

Quick Reply: 2012 G37x and snow