G37 Sedan

No Premium fuel in NYC! what effect will regular have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 03:23 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Not to worry. 171796 miles on my 06 G35 and over 4k miles on my 2012 G37S
All regular all the time

Telcoman
dont listen to telco, he's a huge libby. LOL/JK (good to see you on here man!)

ACTUALLY TELCO AND MYSELF HAVE NEVER USED PREMIUM AND EVERYTHING IS FINE. YOUR KNOCK SENSORS ADJUST QUICKLY AND YOU WONT FEEL A SINGLE THING, NOR BREAK OR VOID ANYTHING.

i got 160,000+miles on a maxima with the 3.5L and only used regular = never an issue with the car
150,000miles on a i30 with the 3.0L and only used regular = never an issue with the car
Old 11-09-2012, 04:04 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
I recall the manual call for premium, only partial tank of emergency regular use is allowed.
Fill it all the way while you can, even with regular! Most of the stations are out of gas and the lines are mile long at those few stations still with gas!!

I was lucky enough to get my tank filled with premium the other day...it took me just 45 minutes. 3 to 4 hours are very typical wait time. The longest time that I know was 11 hours!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:05 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

why dont you guys simply cross OBXing and come into jersey and fill up. hell i go to williamsburg, bk for pasta and park slop for coffee from jersey, your telling me you guys can come to NJ for gas? lol
Old 11-09-2012, 04:12 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by ImStricken
why dont you guys simply cross OBXing and come into jersey and fill up. hell i go to williamsburg, bk for pasta and park slop for coffee from jersey, your telling me you guys can come to NJ for gas? lol
It is not a practical solution for some people. If I'm already low on gas, my car would be totally empty by the time I cross the bridge or tunnel to NJ.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:22 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HappyG
It is not a practical solution for some people. If I'm already low on gas, my car would be totally empty by the time I cross the bridge or tunnel to NJ.
in my worst of driving, it a quarter tank to get from the jersey shore area into BK/by the verizano area. idk where you are in nyc- but just wanted to throw that out there for your info in case you do opt to take the trip

hell sometimes i can get into BK with less than a quarter tank, if the traffic is moving at just the right pace and your not cruising at 45mph half the way, or stuck in traffic on SIE/440
Old 11-09-2012, 04:34 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
dont listen to telco, he's a huge libby. LOL/JK (good to see you on here man!)

ACTUALLY TELCO AND MYSELF HAVE NEVER USED PREMIUM AND EVERYTHING IS FINE. YOUR KNOCK SENSORS ADJUST QUICKLY AND YOU WONT FEEL A SINGLE THING, NOR BREAK OR VOID ANYTHING.

i got 160,000+miles on a maxima with the 3.5L and only used regular = never an issue with the car
150,000miles on a i30 with the 3.0L and only used regular = never an issue with the car
I can only fill it with regular on even number days

Telcoman
Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

While in Williamsburg do you ever stop here?

Telcoman
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

While in Williamsburg do you ever stop here?

Telcoman
never been there. i love SEA, aqua santa, etc gorilla coffee in park slope, etc
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Went to an Exxon station in Monmouth all they had was premium. Probably ran out of regular feeding the gas cans for the generators. As bad as I had it Long Island had it worse. At least I had power back in 12 days.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:46 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Went to an Exxon station in Monmouth all they had was premium. Probably ran out of regular feeding the gas cans for the generators. As bad as I had it Long Island had it worse. At least I had power back in 12 days.
Filled up with regular a short while ago at WaWa. No lines $3.43 a gallon cash or credit

Photo taken prior to trading in my 06 G35

Telcoman
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 AM
HappyG

Filled up with regular a short while ago at WaWa. No lines $3.43 a gallon cash or credit
I filled up my other car at 4am this morning. I waited on line at 2am and waited 2 hours before it is my turn. I was afraid they would run out of gas when it is my turn. As it turn out I was fortunate enough to fill it up.

They didn't even accept credit card...CASH ONLY and regular only. Paid $4.09 a gallon for regular fuel. I feel bad for those people who waited, did not have much cash on hand, and find out only when it is their turn.

My observation is that gas rationing is not easing our pain at the pump. Since lines are not getting shorter, it actually creates one more inconvenience to me...I can only fill up on even days!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:47 PM
venkatsharat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the engine dials back the hp.I alternate between 85 and 87 here in denver
Old 11-10-2012, 05:15 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
I filled up my other car at 4am this morning. I waited on line at 2am and waited 2 hours before it is my turn. I was afraid they would run out of gas when it is my turn. As it turn out I was fortunate enough to fill it up.

They didn't even accept credit card...CASH ONLY and regular only. Paid $4.09 a gallon for regular fuel. I feel bad for those people who waited, did not have much cash on hand, and find out only when it is their turn.

My observation is that gas rationing is not easing our pain at the pump. Since lines are not getting shorter, it actually creates one more inconvenience to me...I can only fill up on even days!
I'm not defending the use of cash, but I think part of the issue is generator powered gas-stations with inoperable telco/cable infrastructure.

I think these gas stations as a public service should be forced to go back to using the old credit card swipe machine.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:14 PM
MSIZZLE

@ 2 fill ups per weak it would cost about 66per month for prem vs reg, i just dont understand how someone would pay 40k for a sports car but then sacrifice performance to save what equates to 16.56 per week! plus the fact if your driving hard enough you could potentially push the car hard enough to get some detonation
Old 11-11-2012, 08:03 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MSIZZLE
@ 2 fill ups per weak it would cost about 66per month for prem vs reg, i just dont understand how someone would pay 40k for a sports car but then sacrifice performance to save what equates to 16.56 per week! plus the fact if your driving hard enough you could potentially push the car hard enough to get some detonation
From December 31st 2005 to August 31st 2012 I purchased 7170 gallons of regular gas for my G35 except for a monthly test of premium 93 and 91 octane. At a saving of $.30 a gallon that comes to a saving of $2151.00.

A loss of a few HP makes no difference to me. My 2012 G37S comes delivered with a full tank of regular and I've used 87 octane since day one and will continue to do so.

If it makes you feel good to spend the extra money on premium you should continue to do so.

Telcoman

Quick Reply: No Premium fuel in NYC! what effect will regular have?