G37 Sedan

Move on or wait for the new G?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Move on or wait for the new G?

So I've had my new X sedan for a year now but I'm already bored. I'm torn between trying to mod it, going to the new 3 series, or maybe waiting to see what the next G has in store.

I like the engine and car overall but I recently drove a new 328i M-sport 6MT (and in estoril blue!) and that car just engages the driver much better and has tremendous handling and road feel. The G has tight handling and the chassis is stiff, but something about it doesn't sit in the corners right and it just doesn't feel as nice as the BMW from a handling and engagement perspective. The BMW also gets 34mpg highway and the clutch/shifter setup is buttery smooth.

I feel like I should wait and give the new G a try, but I have my doubts they are going to be able to 1-up BMW, with the overall direction that Nissan/Infiniti has been going lately with CVTs, borrowing Mercedes turbo motors, going to DBW steering, etc. It seems like they are going to more of a luxury/aesthetics route than performance, that and dealers have been telling me that allegedly Infiniti is no longer doing a 6MT sedan.

Anyone in the same boat or could offer some insight?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Doc750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Beamer ...
Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Jethro
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
I would see what the next G looks like and drive it first, but I too would bet the BMW is going to be better.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:11 PM
volnedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You get what you pay for. If I were buying (not leasing) and could compare a G37 to 328 sedan with same options/msrp, I would go with the BMW. However, since I'm a leasing man, there is no way I'd pay the $150~$200 monthly premium for the Beamer.

I say wait and see the new model before making a decision. Won't hurt, since its debuting at the Detroit Auto Show in January.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Im going for a 2013 Nismo 370z or G37s! Although very excited and tempted to just wait for the next G, i think i will pick up a 2013 since i truly love these cars and wait to see the next generation Gs roll in and research the car for the first 2 years then make the change. From experience i will not purchase the first year of a new model again. Thats just me, 2013 G or Z here i come

My car being an 08 with 88,500 miles, it's time for a fresh car. VPS G or Z coming soon....
Old 11-02-2012, 01:14 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by volnedan
You get what you pay for. If I were buying (not leasing) and could compare a G37 to 328 sedan with same options/msrp, I would go with the BMW. However, since I'm a leasing man, there is no way I'd pay the $150~$200 monthly premium for the Beamer.

I say wait and see the new model before making a decision. Won't hurt, since its debuting at the Detroit Auto Show in January.
See that's actually the thing, the BMW is a really good deal to lease right now. My local BMW dealer is doing about $2k off MSRP, and I can combine that with an extra $1000 holiday cash and I also get another $1000 for being a USAA member. The lease on the M-sport 328i w/ Nav I'm looking at would be around $390/mo. Actually cheaper than what I pay for my G now.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The new 3 series in Estoril blue and the M Sport-line package looks extremely hot, however a loaded 328i is 50K, not sure if it's worth it. I would wait for the new G first before I make a decision.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM
King_Stee

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
$398 a month seems like alot for a 328i? I'd rather get a used 2011 335i and have similar g37 performance...
Old 11-02-2012, 01:38 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I thought you were all against BMW in all the BMW v. G threads. In anycase, get the new 328. I'm sure the new G will be nice and all, but it's still a G. It will never be a BMW, and they have totally different feel to the drive and overall experience.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I like trying out different cars. The only "brand" I am loyal to is Jeep, other than that I will try almost any car out there. You can always come back to the G down the road.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by sniper27
I thought you were all against BMW in all the BMW v. G threads. In anycase, get the new 328. I'm sure the new G will be nice and all, but it's still a G. It will never be a BMW, and they have totally different feel to the drive and overall experience.
My previous qualms were with the E90 and non-Sport 328 - at the time of buying my G the new F30 was not out yet. It was amazing the difference the M Sport package makes, as well as being 6MT. I don't think I'd get one w/o the sport or 6MT.

$390/mo for the 328i I'm looking at (about $46k msrp) is a pretty good deal, and that's with "0" down. You can get a base for $339/mo as advertised but that is no comparison to the G.

Either way, I think I'll wait and see what happens in the market with the new G. Only thing I'm concerned about is the current G values dropping significantly once the new one comes out; it might be better to trade or sell now.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:19 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
So I've had my new X sedan for a year now but I'm already bored. I'm torn between trying to mod it, going to the new 3 series, or maybe waiting to see what the next G has in store.

I like the engine and car overall but I recently drove a new 328i M-sport 6MT (and in estoril blue!) and that car just engages the driver much better and has tremendous handling and road feel. The G has tight handling and the chassis is stiff, but something about it doesn't sit in the corners right and it just doesn't feel as nice as the BMW from a handling and engagement perspective. The BMW also gets 34mpg highway and the clutch/shifter setup is buttery smooth.

I feel like I should wait and give the new G a try, but I have my doubts they are going to be able to 1-up BMW, with the overall direction that Nissan/Infiniti has been going lately with CVTs, borrowing Mercedes turbo motors, going to DBW steering, etc. It seems like they are going to more of a luxury/aesthetics route than performance, that and dealers have been telling me that allegedly Infiniti is no longer doing a 6MT sedan.

Anyone in the same boat or could offer some insight?
Might be just that you were comparing a lighter RWD car with much stiffer suspension to a heavier AWD car on regular tune. Many reviews gave the impressions that the new F30 platform was inferior to the old E90. Some gave much better handling score to a G25 which was just a striped down G37. Just wait for the next G. When you see great deals floating around which is negative IMO equivalent to something that can not sell. Is that a good thing?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Well the new G will be reviled in January, how hard is it to wait untill that happens? Atleast you will get an idea of whats new and maybe some early driving impressions.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:33 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
My previous qualms were with the E90 and non-Sport 328 - at the time of buying my G the new F30 was not out yet. It was amazing the difference the M Sport package makes, as well as being 6MT. I don't think I'd get one w/o the sport or 6MT.

$390/mo for the 328i I'm looking at (about $46k msrp) is a pretty good deal, and that's with "0" down. You can get a base for $339/mo as advertised but that is no comparison to the G.

Either way, I think I'll wait and see what happens in the market with the new G. Only thing I'm concerned about is the current G values dropping significantly once the new one comes out; it might be better to trade or sell now.
These are lease numbers?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Only thing I'm concerned about is the current G values dropping significantly once the new one comes out; it might be better to trade or sell now.
The probability is also high that your "new" 328 value drops significantly once the new G comes out.

Quick Reply: Move on or wait for the new G?