G37 Sedan

Move on or wait for the new G?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:56 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sniper27
These are lease numbers?
Yes but keep in mind that is with getting about $4k off MSRP with all the incentives out there. Different dealers might not take that much off, or maybe even more in your area.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:28 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I say go for it. It's a lease and worse that can happen is you don't like it and go back to the new G in 3yrs. By that time, they would have worked out any kinks in a new model and perhaps even an improved midyear facelift.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:36 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Get a 6MT G, that should keep you until the new one. AWD Gs are very soft compared to sport ones, thats why the 328 felt fun. I got to drive a couple 328s hard and i do like the chassis, feels very similar to the G, i do hate the steering. The steering belongs in a camry and it kist ruins the car. Sitting in the G after feels like going from a vanilla machine to a sports sedan. Not to mention it is still a slow car with that 240hp, not as bad as the old one but no where close to the G.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
Get a 6MT G, that should keep you until the new one. AWD Gs are very soft compared to sport ones, thats why the 328 felt fun. I got to drive a couple 328s hard and i do like the chassis, feels very similar to the G, i do hate the steering. The steering belongs in a camry and it kist ruins the car. Sitting in the G after feels like going from a vanilla machine to a sports sedan. Not to mention it is still a slow car with that 240hp, not as bad as the old one but no where close to the G.
Exactly. Powertrain-wise, going from a G37 to 328 is a significant downgrade. For anyone who want to be more engaged in driving experience, a 6MT is a better choice. I picked up the X for more comfortable ride and its AWD all-around capability. Both 6MT and AWD G37s are great cars nonetheless, just different priorities.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't get a 1st year model car, especially a BMW The new 3-series seems to have a steering vibration issues which they don't have a solution for yet. Some say new tires fix it, some say only the ones with Dynamic Handling Package don't have it. You may want to check this out on your next test drive.

So I'd wait until next year. But I like the new 3-series too. Good size, good mileage, good handling and refined.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Your best bet is wait tlll ease term hits 3 yrs.
The depreciation rate will gets you crazy
Old 11-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Crespo
Registered Member

It depends...European cars are good right out from the factory...Japanese car company always leave room for people to do modification on them

You do get the same car as BMW if you going to spend the difference in price between the BMW and Infiniti into some good aftermarket parts
Old 11-02-2012, 07:44 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Surprised no one mentioned the release of the bmw 4 series. It will be released April 2013. Taking the place of the 335i
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by 00Max00
Exactly. Powertrain-wise, going from a G37 to 328 is a significant downgrade. For anyone who want to be more engaged in driving experience, a 6MT is a better choice. I picked up the X for more comfortable ride and its AWD all-around capability. Both 6MT and AWD G37s are great cars nonetheless, just different priorities.
Well it's not quite that cut and dry; it is 240 rated HP by BMW but dyno's confirm the N20 in the new 328i was underrated, similar to the last gen 335i. It is actually closer to 240whp and 260wtq stock, assuming 15% drivetrain loss it's more like 276hp.

It wasn't slow - I think that especially with the 6MT it felt decently quick, stock, and turbo lag was minimal. There are already some tunes for it out that bring it out to around 300+ hp. The N20 was out in Europe for quite a few years before now I think, so I'm not sure how much weight I could put on the whole "first model year problems" thing. But it is something to consider.

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the sound, it just doesn't sound nearly as good as a N/A, high-revving V6 like the VQ37. Even the I6 N55 in the 335i doesn't sound as good as the G, it's still pretty muted and tinny.

I think I'll probably wait until after the new year in any case to see what Infiniti has in store, I also think a new C-class is around the corner as well and an A4 refresh.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just ordered a 328i xDrive with M Sport, Lighting pkge and Top view camera pkge.
$460/month tax rolled in $0 down.

When I test drove the 328 and 335 back to back, the 328 actually didn't feel like a significant downgrade. It is pretty fast and nimble.
The downside compared to the 335 was the engine note and doesnt pull as hard as the 335 but still pretty good.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 AM
G37CPA

Originally Posted by jepva
So I've had my new X sedan for a year now but I'm already bored. I'm torn between trying to mod it, going to the new 3 series, or maybe waiting to see what the next G has in store.
Yep, one year old car. Time for a new one, I guess. Isn't that what everyone does?

Maybe being content and grateful you have a nice car, which hasn't been flooded or been smashed by a couple of falling trees from a hurricane, is another option.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
I like the engine and car overall but I recently drove a new 328i M-sport 6MT (and in estoril blue!) and that car just engages the driver much better and has tremendous handling and road feel.
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
AWD Gs are very soft compared to sport ones, thats why the 328 felt fun.
This.

OP, you're not doing a fair comparison. The RWD G w/Sport is a completely different experience. That, and you're comparing the 6MT BMW to a slush-box G. If you modified your X with a new suspension and summer-only tires, you'd probably enjoy it a great deal more. However, I suspect it's the 6MT that got you hooked and wanting a better driving experience, so...

...go get the bimmer. Try something new.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 AM
jepva

Originally Posted by Rochester
This.

OP, you're not doing a fair comparison. The RWD G w/Sport is a completely different experience. That, and you're comparing the 6MT BMW to a slush-box G. If you modified your X with a new suspension and summer-only tires, you'd probably enjoy it a great deal more. However, I suspect it's the 6MT that got you hooked and wanting a better driving experience, so...

...go get the bimmer. Try something new.
I've thought about trying to get a 6MT sedan, but they're few and far between. There's only like 3 used one for sale in a 500 mi radius of me, and all the new ones are gone and I don't think they're making any 2013's in 6MT (at least what i heard). That, and I came from a 370Z 6MT which put a sour taste in my mouth because of the clutch issues (couldn't stand how the clutch engages/operates). Apparently there's fixes for it now though..
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
I've thought about trying to get a 6MT sedan, but they're few and far between. There's only like 3 used one for sale in a 500 mi radius of me, and all the new ones are gone and I don't think they're making any 2013's in 6MT (at least what i heard). That, and I came from a 370Z 6MT which put a sour taste in my mouth because of the clutch issues (couldn't stand how the clutch engages/operates). Apparently there's fixes for it now though..
Yep, the 6MT Sedan is rare. My local dealership only sells 2-3 a year, and only on-order. However, if you have to get on a train or plane to go pick one up, there will be no regrets. Trust me... that's what I did. As for the clutch pedal, I just did the helper spring replacement mod from jsolo here on the forum... and what a welcome difference! Night & Day improvement.

If you're unhappy with your car, I think you should do something about it, even if that means taking a loss. For an auto enthusiast, there's no better feeling than enjoying your car 100% of the time you drive it, with as little compromise (or none) as possible. If you can't do that with your daily driver, then you need to accept it and get a hobby car. Or channel those interests elsewhere.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by G37CPA
Yep, one year old car. Time for a new one, I guess. Isn't that what everyone does?

Maybe being content and grateful you have a nice car, which hasn't been flooded or been smashed by a couple of falling trees from a hurricane, is another option.
What's with the preaching buddy? If he has the money for it then he can do what he wants. Maybe buying a used 2006 Corolla and selling your G37 and being content and grateful that you have 4 tires and a steering wheel is an option for you. There are lots of people in poverty all over the world who would love to have that Corolla.

It never ceases to amaze me the preaching that goes on at every opportunity. There was one thread about those crappy cupholders and people were preaching about why do you need to drink anything in the car anyways. Obviously these people must live on a farm in Iowa somewhere because being caught for 2 hours in rush hour traffic in the city makes you yearn for a beverage sometimes.

Quick Reply: Move on or wait for the new G?