G37 Sedan

Is the AWD system really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Is the AWD system really worth it?

Hey everyone. I'm looking to buy a 2010 G37X in the very near future but I've been wondering if the all wheel drive system is really worth the extra money? I've read reports that the RWD system isn't that great in incliment weather but I haven't read too much about the AWD system being a great performer to counteract the iffy handling in poor conditions. Can you guys give me your opinion on this as I don't want to spend unnecessary money for something that may not perform the way I would like it to. Thanks ahead of time for any shared insight.

By the way, I'm coming for a 2009 Honda Accord which actually handles incliment weather quite well, probably due to its FWD nature.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I have owned the 07 X and now the 11S. Both with snow tires. I'm not sure if you mean snowy or just wet roads. Don't know where you live??
It is night and day between the driving capabilities of the two cars, in slippery, snowy conditions, with snow tires.
That said the RWD is very controlable if you drive properly and when it comes time to STOP they are both about the same (again, with snow tires).

If you have ever winter driven a RWD vehicle then it won't bother you. If you have not then I would say spend a little more and buy the AWD. You will be more comfortable and likely feel more in control.
When I got my driver's license most cars where RWD. That's what I learned on and for the most part have driven over the years along with a few 4WD and AWD vehicles.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Sorry I should have been more specific. I live in Baltimore, MD and though the weather is not absolutley horrible we do get our consistent amount of rainfall and snow storms throughout the year. I've basiclly exclusivly owned FWD vehicles my driving life but would feel comfortable with RWD in a consistant driving vehicle no matter what the weather is. With that said, I guess my question was does the AWD G37's handiling add that much more traction in wintery and wet conditions to justify the added cost? Its not that the X is out of my means but I dont want to pay the extra money if the AWD doesnt perform to that of something like Audi's Quattro system.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Indy_L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie non-guru posting here, but lets shoot the breeze. I think it is all a matter of driving style, but I would recommend checking out the specs on the Infiniti ATTESA E-TS on the x. I recently upgrade from '06 35 Sport RWD, transplant from Phoenix, AZ to Columbus, OH. The RWD and low profile tires on the 06 caused a myriad of issues, but typically only in icy weather. Even then I could not get out of a simple parking lot that had a minimal incline. During rainy weather, it was simply a matter of adjusting driving style to account.

With my new 12 37xS, it is RWD full time. The AWD computer monitors the wheel rotation and if it recognizes variance it will adjust up to 50% of the power to the front wheels, thus kicking in the AWD. Or, you can kick on the Snow Mode and have AWD full time. During these past couple of days with the storm hitting us, the AWD kicked in just a couple times, and have only noticed the RWD slipping a few times. Then, only because it is a new car and I have been enjoying the increased HP and 0-60 time.

Unless you're really dealing with a lot of adverse weather and don't know how to drive defensively or handle a basic drift, the RWD should be all that you need. My opinion.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
Sorry I should have been more specific. I live in Baltimore, MD and though the weather is not absolutley horrible we do get our consistent amount of rainfall and snow storms throughout the year. I've basiclly exclusivly owned FWD vehicles my driving life but would feel comfortable with RWD in a consistant driving vehicle no matter what the weather is. With that said, I guess my question was does the AWD G37's handiling add that much more traction in wintery and wet conditions to justify the added cost? Its not that the X is out of my means but I dont want to pay the extra money if the AWD doesnt perform to that of something like Audi's Quattro system.
It's important to note whether or not you will you be using winter tires?

Also, the Snow Mode does not lock it in AWD full time. It adjust the throttle response and possibly locks the front differential up to a certain low speed (unconfirmed). There are dozens of threads about it here and on G35driver.com
Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
I have the 2010 X Coupe and had it in Grand Forks, ND for winter. It was more than worth it, a lifesaver at times. Now I'm in San Antonio, TX (AWD not used as much but going to FI and track it)
Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
I recently had a G37x loaner in the heavy rain, and am shocked to say this... but that car was 100% on wet roads. I pushed that thing WOT into turns and launches, etc. It was totally point & shoot. So if safety is a priority, then yes. And with a set of snow tires, I imagine nothing would stop that car.

However, it's also soft and boring as ****. And the 7AT ratchet shifter is lame, lame, lame. So if the joy of driving is a priority, then no. No way at all. Walk away and get a proper RWD car with a 6MT.

Everyone has different priorities and varying fears about winter driving. That's my 2-cents. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
Having owned many, many AWD cars, the G's AWD system is superior to the Audi Quattro. I could write a thesis why, but you can find out yourself just by driving one in a rainy or snowy condition. If you care about safety and are not a F1 driver, get the X.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:17 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I recently had a G37x loaner in the heavy rain, and am shocked to say this... but that car was 100% on wet roads. I pushed that thing WOT into turns and launches, etc. It was totally point & shoot. So if safety is a priority, then yes. And with a set of snow tires, I imagine nothing would stop that car.

However, it's also soft and boring as ****. And the 7AT ratchet shifter is lame, lame, lame. So if the joy of driving is a priority, then no. No way at all. Walk away and get a proper RWD car with a 6MT.

Everyone has different priorities and varying fears about winter driving. That's my 2-cents. Good luck.
We have 4 to 6 months of snow here and I bought a G37x because joy of driving IS a priority. Why? 'Cause with winter tires I can drive it almost just as hard in winter as I would in summer. I just have to brake early that's all. The deeper the snow the more fun it is to drive.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
The snow button only controls the throttle response. No locking of diff and the 7at is not as bad as people say it is. It adapts to the way you drive. I had no problem getting up to speed and having fun per say with it today. DS mode makes a bit of a difference and yes the shifts are slow compaired to other auto transmissions out there but it s not as bad as people say.

I did a hands on training with the G, BMW 3 and the IS last week and let me tell you the G was the most responsive out of the Three. Wait till you see what's in store for the future G.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have come to appreciate the X in rainy and snowy weather. Without a doubt RWD is just fine with snow tires during the winter, especially if the driver is experienced. That said, AWD is much more forgiving in a variety of conditions, especially driving in the rain or on gravel roads. I really appreciate the ease of acceleration coming out of a turn on wet or sandy roads. Would I buy another one.....maybe. There is a weight and gas mileage penalty.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's a trade off.

+winter tires is not required for minor snow area
+more traction

-more weight
-car doesn't feel as quick or nimble (could be 7AT related)
-more expensive
-MPG hit
Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 AM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Get the X. You wont regret it. The only con for you would be the fuel economy compared to your Honda Accord. Do your research, and if youre okay with that, then you will LOVE your G, especially if you can get the "XS" model with nav. AWD turns the sporty sedan into a true 4 season machine. The "S" model is sexy as hell with the aggressive front end but owning that (or any non "X") means you have to buy a dedicated set of snows if you plan on winter driving. 330hp + Rwd on summer tires in snow = a bad accident. It would cost you more in the long run to have to buy another set of tires or wheels/tires package from Tire Rack. You might as well buy a used Civic for under $1000 on craigslist and save the mileage, wear, and salt your G would have to deal with. Otherwise buy the X on a good set of all seasons and enjoy your well spent money any time any weather. Rain driving is also vastly improved. The X is quicker around a track than a non "X". The X is more optioned than a journey, also having the X model guarantees higher future resale or trade in value. Having awd is a bragging right, and if you ever decide to add more power say a turbo charger or something, at least know you will be putting your power down to the ground via the awd system. Now go buy that X and let us know how much you like it.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:23 AM
G37CPA

Originally Posted by Indy_L
Unless you're really dealing with a lot of adverse weather and don't know how to drive defensively or handle a basic drift, the RWD should be all that you need. My opinion.
Agree, fully, with you.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by devil2k
I bought a G37x because joy of driving IS a priority.
Yeah, OK. To me, that's a contradiction in terms. Which is why I said everyone has different priorities.

Quick Reply: Is the AWD system really worth it?