G37 Sedan

Is the AWD system really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Why would I drive a POS beater instead of my 4 door sedan.... i don't understand that logic. Maybe If I was planning on keeping this car forever, but im not. It's a car, and i'll drive it. It is a nice car though, so i wash it once a week during the winter. But yea, screw a beater. I'll take my heated seats and traction control.

My beater had leather seats, traction control etc...................hummmmmmm I think my logic is good and when I lived in Colorado everyone in my neighborhood had winter beaters. We all had the same logic as we all knew that no matter how much you washed your car mag chloride would win the battle. My Jeep lost the paint on the rear axle the first trip through the snow. It came off the next day when I washed it. (doesn't take but one or two trips through snow storms till you see the effects under your car, deffinately not years).

You all do as you please............................I just thought I would share from experience. You guys can take the advice or leave it.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yeah, OK. To me, that's a contradiction in terms. Which is why I said everyone has different priorities.
Yes. And I'd get a RWD in a heart beat if I don't live in this climate. I'd love to have the G37 convertible instead.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
All my talk about snows is just that... talk. Until I get through my first winter with this 6MT, mine are opinions based on previous cars only.

So just now, I dropped $960 on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60's. Come talk to me next Spring and I'll have an experienced opinion about driving a RWD G37 in the winter with staggered rims and high-performance snows.

Knock on wood.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 AM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I have owned the 07 X and now the 11S. Both with snow tires. I'm not sure if you mean snowy or just wet roads. Don't know where you live??
It is night and day between the driving capabilities of the two cars, in slippery, snowy conditions, with snow tires.
That said the RWD is very controlable if you drive properly and when it comes time to STOP they are both about the same (again, with snow tires).

If you have ever winter driven a RWD vehicle then it won't bother you. If you have not then I would say spend a little more and buy the AWD. You will be more comfortable and likely feel more in control.
When I got my driver's license most cars where RWD. That's what I learned on and for the most part have driven over the years along with a few 4WD and AWD vehicles.
We'll said. I prefer to turn off TC and control my rear wheels by monitoring wheelspin with the throttle. I use a dedicated set of wheels and winter tires for the winter. Even with winter tires, it's nearly impossible to avoid wheel spin from a dead stop in the snow. That can be annoying in traffic as it takes me longer to get up to speed. However, once it's up to speed, I think the tires help a great deal and the car stops very well in the snow.

It does depend on where you live. In Chicago, we get snow, but the snow removal crews work so quickly here that it's rare that I find myself driving in deep snow. It has to be a pretty serious storm for that to happen.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya
it's a trade off.

+winter tires is not required for minor snow area
+more traction

-more weight
-car doesn't feel as quick or nimble (could be 7AT related)
-more expensive
-MPG hit
It's more than that. The AWD model does not get:

sport suspension
LSD rear diff
BBK
quicker steering ratio
Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
It's more than that. The AWD model does not get:

sport suspension
LSD rear diff
BBK
quicker steering ratio
The OP is likely looking at a Journey and not the S. Then the price is less than an X and saving him money.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
The OP is likely looking at a Journey and not the S. Then the price is less than an X and saving him money.
And the RWD Journey doesn't get the Limited Slip rear diff. Only the RWD w/Sport Package gets that benny.

For that matter, 4DOORFUN saying the AWD doesn't have Limited Slip is technically accurate, but silly.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-02-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 PM
jepva

I really like the extra grip and control afforded by the AWD system, it's fun in the rain to hoon around and it maintains traction so well. I'm sure if I had been in the RWD I would have wrecked or spun out a few times.

Although I do miss some of the goodies we can't get on the AWD, mainly the BBK, tighter steering, and a 6MT. I could've went with a 6MT RWD at the time but coming from a 370Z 6MT I had a bitter taste in my mouth because of the clutch, apparently there's kits out now that fix but I still doubt it's anywhere near as smooth as the Honda/Acura or German MT setups.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 PM
G37CPA

They still make snow tires? And people still buy a set of tires just for that? Wow. Who knew.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
My beater had leather seats, traction control etc...................hummmmmmm I think my logic is good and when I lived in Colorado everyone in my neighborhood had winter beaters. We all had the same logic as we all knew that no matter how much you washed your car mag chloride would win the battle. My Jeep lost the paint on the rear axle the first trip through the snow. It came off the next day when I washed it. (doesn't take but one or two trips through snow storms till you see the effects under your car, deffinately not years).

You all do as you please............................I just thought I would share from experience. You guys can take the advice or leave it.
Again, i do not plan on keeping this car for the rest of my life so putting it in the garage so I can look at it not get covered in salt makes no sense to me. If the car was something more special, IE a Corvette, S2000, etc, then yea, i'd probably store it because a car like that wouldn't even be fun in the winter. But I drive a 4 door sedan. Really? Bought it for practicality. It wont suddenly be worth more because it was stored during the winter either. Living in the north, cars are bound to get a little rust under. Fact of life. Don't want rust under your car? Move to another state. Thats really the only solution to the problem.
Originally Posted by G37CPA
They still make snow tires? And people still buy a set of tires just for that? Wow. Who knew.
I assume you are being sarcastic?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 PM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Go for the X. I live in Texas and rarely see snow, but the AWD is a blast because you can drive it to the limit. With the RWD, you have to watch how hard you push it coming out of turns. I personally like being able to throw the tail out at full throttle and not having to ease up. Plus, it is great if you like to shoot off the line in the rain.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:44 PM
venkatsharat

easy.

are you going to be happy with auto?.if it comes down to it, what is more important to you? manual/auto Vs RWD/AWD.

donno why Infi does not have an AWD stick.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
Hey everyone. I'm looking to buy a 2010 G37X in the very near future but I've been wondering if the all wheel drive system is really worth the extra money?
Yes, AWD is a much better investment than other options that cost same money, navi for example. It is nice to get fully loaded, but AWD was a no-brainer if you were on limited budget.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM
blklegend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just remember you can still get stuck, just think back to the snow storms you guys had like 3 or 4 years ago. Nothing will move in those storms. I remember seeing garbage trucks getting stuck.

I have an 07X so I got stuck in my own driveway in 3 ft of snow.

Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
Thanks to everyone for the responses and opinions. Like I said before, I wouldnt have an issue driving a RWD vehicle and would actually perfer to do so to keep a manual tranny, but I've read numerous peoples negative opinions about the RWD in snowy and wet conditions. Obviously some of that is due to drivers abilities and driving styles but my thought process behind the AWD system is the assurance and peace of mind that it brings. I personaly dont want to worry about getting stuck because my car cant handle the element's thrown its way (within reason).

I have always owned manual FWD coupe cars and switching from a manual coupe to a 4door auto is kind of a booring and scary thought to me but I had to realize that once I have a kid I'm also obligated to get something that keeps safety in mind while still allowing me to tear up the street when the mood fits aka every day while my wife or kid are not in the car. :-) Thanks again for all the great opinions and observations. My heart was telling me to get the manual RWD but from what I've read and what my future holds for me I think the AWD X is the car for me and I'm not disappointed with that one bit.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blklegend
Just remember you can still get stuck, just think back to the snow storms you guys had like 3 or 4 years ago. Nothing will move in those storms. I remember seeing garbage trucks getting stuck.

I have an 07X so I got stuck in my own driveway in 3 ft of snow.
You need a tank in 3 ft of snow. Everything has its limit but we are talking about car here, no doubt AWD is much more capable than 2WD even on perfect dry roads.

Quick Reply: Is the AWD system really worth it?