G37 Sedan

help 9 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:08 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll just say this once since I bet it's a point of contention for some - you really shouldn't use 87 octane for extended periods of time. Yes, the ECU is calibrated to retard timing to reduce knocking damage to the motor, but that means your fuel burn isn't as efficient as it should be. This can extend wear on the catalytic converters, and increase soot if burn is really not optimal. The retard function is meant to reduce the possibility of short-term damage, but it doesn't address long-term effects.

/soap box
Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I am about 50/50 for city and freeway and I get about 13-14mpg, just depends on your driving habits, I bet you if the OP watched his little mpg bar and drive by that means he would see a difference. Also don't forget when the light goes on you have approx 2-3 gallons left.

Last edited by kaoticdemize; 10-12-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: dislexia ;)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 PM
kdawg8526
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
my car has 25k miles i bought it used a few months ago. i been getting same mpg for the past couple months i fill up 17 gallons and get only 150 miles and it comes close to empty and i refill again. i pulled the negative off the battery to reset the ecu but nothing changed.

my definition of city driving is a traffic light every block. and driving short trip to school every day 3 miles from home no a/c or heat. and noone is stealing my gas because my car is garage kept every second im home

im going to call the dealership and have them check it out. and i dont think its the way i drive because my previous car acura tl-s 3.5 took premium as well and i would get 220 miles to a smaller 14.5 gallon tank. (15mpg)

Last edited by kdawg8526; 10-12-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also don't forget when the light goes on you have approx 2-3 gallons left.
Been 3-4gals generally here. Someday, I'm going to have a Kramer moment and just see how far I can take it. Maybe. I think I'd be too embarassed actually running out of gas though.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by owslystnly
Been 3-4gals generally here. Someday, I'm going to have a Kramer moment and just see how far I can take it. Maybe. I think I'd be too embarassed actually running out of gas though.
Just keep in mind that fuel in the tank cools the fuel pump.

Running low or out of gas can damage the fuel pump from overheating

Telcoman
Old 10-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You are only guessing at your MPG unless you know the exact number of miles you drove with an exact amount of fuel.

Fill up. Be sure to fill the tank all the way up.
Reset your trip odometer to 0.
Drive until the tank is empty or near empty.
Refill the tank and note the exact amount of fuel it takes to fill it up completely again.
Divide the exact number of miles you drove (shown on your trip odometer) by the exact amount of fuel used (what you just put in). Do not estimate either of these numbers.

This is your actual fuel mileage. It is very likely higher than 9 MPG unless 1) you have extremely poor driving habits or 2) something is very wrong with your car.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:08 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Due to parts of the emissions control systems (charcoal canister maybe?) isn't it not a good idea to fill all the way up because gas can get in there?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by telcoman

Telcoman
False. Fuel runs through the pump cooling it for as long as there is any fuel left in the tank. I have been into my tank several times to confirm this. I have also run out of fuel twice. If fuel is flowing at all the pump stays very cool. It floats, it is not submerged in the tank. If you run completely out of fuel, the car is not going to start or run. The only damage that could possibly occur is if you continued to try to start the car repeatedly with absolutely no fuel in the tank. This would very likely burn up the starter motor before any damage could occur to the fuel pump.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Due to parts of the emissions control systems (charcoal canister maybe?) isn't it not a good idea to fill all the way up because gas can get in there?
I have bee filling my tank completely for 86K miles and no issue to report yet. 225K on my other car. I'll report if anything happens.

Filling it all the way is not the same as overfilling to where spillage occurs.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:14 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
No need to fill until gas is in the filler pipe

After the pump automatically shuts off I just even off the amount to the next $.50 or dollar. There is still room in the tank and doing that every time will give you an accurate reading.

Telcoman
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Perhaps part of OP's problem is how he's filling the tank. There are several threads on this topic. The conclusion is some station's pumps may shut off prematurely because of built up pressure in the filler tube causing a condition which may indicate the tank is full, but really is not.

If the gauge shows ~50% (btw, you can get a more accurate reading via torque/obd2), and the pump shuts off at 5 gallons, I know the tank is not full. Remove the nozzle, reinsert part way, and continue refueling at a slower rate. After it shuts off, i'll add a bit more (1 -2 more light squeezes until the pump shuts off).
Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Just FYI, commuting to work (80%hwy, 20% suburban) I get 25-26mpg, on all highway trips, 28mpg using 91-93 octane. It's only an extra ~$50-100 or so for the year, so.......be cheap if you want to.

And I get better mileage NOT using cruise control. After driving a civic w/o it for 10 yrs and learning to drive to get 50-60mpg, your foot and brain can do better than CC.
Being in Canada, like the OP, the difference is ~ $500/year at a tank a week
Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM
kdawg8526
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
i always reset my trip and fill up completely i drive it till the exclamation mark shows up my numbers have been consistent last couple months i go to the same gas station everytime
so i dont think id be off by that much plus or minus 5 miles to the tank the last couple months
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You are only guessing at your MPG unless you know the exact number of miles you drove with an exact amount of fuel.

Reset your trip odometer to 0.
Drive until the tank is empty or near empty.
Refill the tank and note the exact amount of fuel it takes to fill it up completely again.
Divide the exact number of miles you drove (shown on your trip odometer) by the exact amount of fuel used (what you just put in). Do not estimate either of these numbers.

This is your actual fuel mileage. It is very likely higher than 9 MPG unless 1) you have extremely poor driving habits or 2) something is very wrong with your car.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 PM
blackhawksfan81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman

Telcoman
No, it can't.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:30 PM
blackhawksfan81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm amazed at some of the responses here.

Take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: help 9 mpg