G37 Sedan

Girlfriend hit a possum......?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:31 AM
ericmadGRR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girlfriend hit a possum......?

Long story short.

Got a little too drunk at a comedy show, girlfriend drove the G home, she hit a possum and cracked the front sport fascia. I am lowered on KW v3, and have CV3's. It is a 2012 with 6k miles, Will warranty or insurance cover the stock part or do I need to go back to stock to claim?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 AM
TheAmazingNik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance will MAYBE cover it, warranty definitely not, someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 10-07-2012, 03:07 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on your insurance policy on what's covered under "aftermarket" category. And yes, your non stock bumper (even tho OEM) will be considered aftermarket piece.

For example, my Allstate insurance will cover up to $1000 in aftermarket part against comprehensive and collision damage WITHOUT additional purchase of aftermarket part coverage.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

And why the hell would manufacturer's warranty cover something that happened accidentally? lol
Old 10-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E
Depending on your insurance policy on what's covered under "aftermarket" category. And yes, your non stock bumper (even tho OEM) will be considered aftermarket piece.

For example, my Allstate insurance will cover up to $1000 in aftermarket part against comprehensive and collision damage WITHOUT additional purchase of aftermarket part coverage.
This makes no sense. What do you mean non-stock bumper? It is a stock sport bumper. Regardless of what package you have on your car does not qualify as "aftermarket". Really?

OP - You hit an animal. You can't go after the opossum's insurance, so yes yours will cover it. Your aftermarket parts have nothing to do with hitting an animal and cracking your bumper, so no need to do anything.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Boywdr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
This makes no sense. What do you mean non-stock bumper? It is a stock sport bumper. Regardless of what package you have on your car does not qualify as "aftermarket". Really?

OP - You hit an animal. You can't go after the opossum's insurance, so yes yours will cover it. Your aftermarket parts have nothing to do with hitting an animal and cracking your bumper, so no need to do anything.
this kid/guy is 100% right. you don't have to tell them anything about it being aftermarket. they are going to ask the shop how much to get all the stuff fixed or replace and that is it. FYI if you ever wanted to change something this is the time just tell the shop what you wanted to get instead and if it is in the same price area you are good to go. just a few strokes of the pen and you are all set.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
My front sport lip got cracked as well... but it was a parking curb that got me (you know... that small piece of rectangular cement with rebar in it at each parking spot?).

I am also lowered on KWv3 and I am very careful parking. However... it cleared the curb (barely) but it was a piece of rebar sticking up that got me. I was bummed, but it's lowered so I ain't fixing it so it can happen again. Screw it. It's not noticeable unless you look for it, and I don't enter any shows.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM
owslystnly

In honor of this possum, here's a little possum for you:

Sorry about the bumper.

(my girlfriend backed into my car the other day.....luckily the license plate took the brunt of it and just broke the plastic plate holder.)

Good luck getting'er fixed up.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 PM
blklegend

Depends on what level of insurance you have.. If you have full coverage then your insurance will cover it. If you have liability only, then no they will not.