G37 Sedan

2014 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Dgglr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I think it's way to much trouble to design an electronic feedback induced shifter that has the same feel as a manual that is actually connected via a physical linkage to a transmission.
well true. I don't think I'd be interested in buying one, in fact I couldn't imagine it being made for any other reason than simply for novelty
Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 PM
bitNine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was super hyped about this car until I saw that it's just going to use the same piece of junk 7AT transmission that is in my current G37. I plan on ditching the G37 as soon as I break even on the loan, and don't have any negative equity. And TBH, that decision comes 100% because Infiniti can't get the programming right. My old car was dual clutch, and my wife's '12 crap Jetta is a DSG. The DSG is a million times more responsive than the 7AT. I love the rest of the car, but the 7AT tranny sucks. When I first read "dual clutch" in the first Q50 article, I was intrigued, and convinced myself that I would upgrade even sooner. Now knowing that it's just a 7AT, Infiniti can count me out as a future customer. Even with the latest software updates, it's still literally retarded. I'd go with a manual, but this is my nice car. I already have 3 other manual transmission vehicles. I want an auto that I can shift on my own, but put it in drive when I want to be lazy.

However, I do love the rest of the Q50 so far. It looks nice!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 PM
VQHRLover
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Did anyone take a look at the Canada website? it shows the two powertrains to choose from. One is the 3.5L Hybrid and the other isn't the 3.7, its a 2.2L Turbocharged 4 cyl Diesel. Interesting stuff..

Edit: apparently the turbo is only 170BHP.. wonder what the torque will be on that guy.

Last edited by VQHRLover; 02-16-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by VQHRLover
Did anyone take a look at the Canada website? it shows the two powertrains to choose from. One is the 3.5L Hybrid and the other isn't the 3.7, its a 2.2L Turbocharged 4 cyl Diesel. Interesting stuff..

Edit: apparently the turbo is only 170BHP.. wonder what the torque will be on that guy.
I see...interesting

I think we have Euro info on the Canadian site.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 02-16-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 PM
g37ex35

I'm done with Infiniti simply due to a lack of a manual transmission. We have 2 Infiniti's in my family. My wife has a 2010 EX35 and drive a 2010 G37S 6MT sedan. Up until a few weeks ago I was a big fan of Infiniti. I considered them a great alternative to BMW as they seemed to be geared to performance with a great competitive price point. However, once they announced the Q50 without a manual transmission I immediately headed over to the German's.

My 2010 G37S lease is up in April and I just ordered myself a new 2013 335is coupe instead. I had planned on extending the lease a few months for the Q50 but without a manual I haven't considered the car at all. The lease deals at BMW are exceptional (60k car with very high residuals, pretty good money factors, excellent deals below invoice even before $1500 rebates). I've always wanted a 3 series... for almost a couple decades now. Able to do it for a few bucks more a month than my G37 and I think I'm getting one of the last great 3 series as they seem to be getting softer, larger and dull in their responses and steering.

Too bad as I really do enjoy my G37S. I considered the Audi S4/S5 as well but their lease deals are not nearly as attractive and the cars lacked the raw, visceral feel of the 335is. Instead of having an intoxicating engine/exhaust note they added a SPEAKER to the firewall of the car to simulate an exciting aural experience. Lame. But not as lame as not offering a 6MT!

As for my wife's EX35 -- it's getting replaced with a new MDX as we need more space for our family.

Infiniti really disappointed and surprised me with this one. I figured 6MT was a given on a brand which is based upon "inspired performance." They have simply given this market away to the German's. Amazing. Lost a customer in their 30s with (hopefully) many buying years ahead.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by g37ex35
I figured 6MT was a given on a brand which is based upon "inspired performance."
Unfortunately, manual is about individual preference other than performance nowadays, in most cases, slower than auto. People done with Ferrari only because they cannot afford one.

Good luck with BMW, wish you like the recall they just did for battery cable problem that stall the car. Great if you are in the middle of the street when this happens. Another plus for BMW after the dreaded fuel pump that kills engine in the middle of a passing on highway, definitely adrenaline pumping excitement.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by g37ex35
Too bad as I really do enjoy my G37S. I considered the Audi S4/S5 as well but their lease deals are not nearly as attractive and the cars lacked the raw, visceral feel of the 335is. Instead of having an intoxicating engine/exhaust note they added a SPEAKER to the firewall of the car to simulate an exciting aural experience. Lame. But not as lame as not offering a 6MT!
BMW is just as guilty as Audi is, they've started putting it in their M5 and I'm sure they'll start putting it in the rest of their cars soon enough.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Dgglr

did I miss something? when did they release the info that a 6mt will not be available??
Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 AM
mj_39

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
They stated it will not be offered at release however mark my words the 6mt will be back in the sedan soon enough. Anyone that is willing to jump ship before the car is even released/tested baffles me. Have fun with which ever company you choose to move on to.

Last edited by mj_39; 02-17-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:52 AM
g37ex35

Originally Posted by 00Max00
Unfortunately, manual is about individual preference other than performance nowadays, in most cases, slower than auto. People done with Ferrari only because they cannot afford one.

Good luck with BMW, wish you like the recall they just did for battery cable problem that stall the car. Great if you are in the middle of the street when this happens. Another plus for BMW after the dreaded fuel pump that kills engine in the middle of a passing on highway, definitely adrenaline pumping excitement.
Trust me, I'm fully aware of the known problems with BMWs. In fact, that is what initially steered me towards the Japanese cars in the first place. But guess what? My 2010 G37 had been in FOUR times in the last 3 months for a check engine light. The spark plugs and fuel injectors were replaced before they just recently replaced the head gasket. HUGE job, pulled the engine out, had to wait for a part from Japan and I was out of my G37 for a total of 4 weeks combined. Sure they gave me a loaner G37 coupe but it was still a huge hassle and not what I expected from an Infiniti.

As for the BMW issues, the HPFP issues are widely known and it is shameful that it took BMW awhile to properly address the issue. The battery recall you mentioned doesn't pertain to my 335is. It's the last model year I'm hoping they have addressed most of the major issues and annoyances by this point.

Regardless, a manual car is a must for me. That is first and foremost the most important factor and I simply will not consider a car with an automatic. DCT or not. Sure, a DCT or even 6-7 speed traditional automatic geared right will "beat" a manual at the track or stop lights. But that is not the point. I'm looking for perceived performance and to me, rowing my own gears in harmony with a third pedal is much more performance inspiring than mashing my foot into a gas pedal or playing with some "paddle shifters." I think your profile said an X so perhaps you can't relate as you don't feel the same way.

Yeah, the market is small and is shrinking each year for 6MT but it's a large part of the enthusiast demographic and for Infiniti to dismiss it is a poor decision, IMO.

As for comments about "trust me they will offer it..." I'm not holding my breath. My lease it up, I need to make a move. Even if they do offer it, it may not be for a year or two down the road and may not even be with a V6. Perhaps a turbo'd 4 - no thanks. Sure, maybe they'll come out with an IPL sedan in stick but again, not holding my breath and I'm looking to get into a car in the next few months.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 AM
GT-R

F14's

Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I cant wait for march............
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-R
F14's

Wow, those wheels are a great match for the Q50.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00

This is the invariable reliability bs ignoring infiniti has its own sets of issues.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 AM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 Q50 Hybrid Sport AWD shown in Canada with Sport front fascia!

In translation to the current name... that would be a G37Shx, or G37Sxh or G37xSh Lol...

Quick Reply: 2014 Sedan