G37 Sedan

2014 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
But I do want a Q50.
Why? You already have a 2011 G37x... Do you want the Q50 because of the hybrid?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Infiniti does have a great marketing team. It worked wonder when debuted the original G35 which was a truly impressive product at the time. What got me worried was the lack of coverage this time in combination of absence of exciting updates in the redesign was not a coincidence. We can't see the road tests soon enough when M/T and C/D are at it. It may not worth the upgrade if you love the standout sheet metal of current G37 just like me. The Q is too much of a lookalike.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Heck..if they reverse the generations, say Q50 comes out before the G37, people may get more excited for the change as far as exterior design is concerned.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
Why? You already have a 2011 G37x... Do you want the Q50 because of the hybrid?
Yes, I'd really like a performance hybrid. I spend a lot of time in traffic. My commute to work is 20 miles....average mph over the week is under 20.

Seems to me a winning combination. Not selling the G though until I see how the Infiniti line shapes up.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 PM
g37guy01

@max...my own feeling is this is going to be a slow transition for Infiniti. The Q50 hybrid in my mind is exciting. The Q50 should perform like the G37 with more bells and whistles (unless Infiniti pulls a fast one and does something to the engine).

They are positioning themselves to be an even closer competitor to BMW; that venerable GTR engine will find it's way into some Q model at some point. Acura is going with it's 'X' line and electric motors. Lexus is going from soft to sporty.

Each manufacturer trying even more to blend their vehicles with positive attributes that the competition has; while trying not being hampered by increased regulations from the government.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 PM
visualguy

Originally Posted by 00Max00
Infiniti does have a great marketing team. It worked wonder when debuted the original G35 which was a truly impressive product at the time. What got me worried was the lack of coverage this time in combination of absence of exciting updates in the redesign was not a coincidence. We can't see the road tests soon enough when M/T and C/D are at it. It may not worth the upgrade if you love the standout sheet metal of current G37 just like me. The Q is too much of a lookalike.
Fully agree. The G35 was indeed a very competitive product at the time it was introduced. The current G37 does indeed look like nothing else out there. Still impressive in its uniqueness and originality even after all these years since its introduction. Can't really say the same things for the Q50, unfortunately...
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 PM
visualguy

Originally Posted by g37guy01
They are positioning themselves to be an even closer competitor to BMW;
How? The G35 was much more competitive against the 3-series of its time (e46), than the Q50 is against today's 3-series.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 PM
g37guy01

True, but lets wait and see future product announcements.

Although I recently rode in friends 535 and was reminded why I like bmws.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 AM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
How? The G35 was much more competitive against the 3-series of its time (e46), than the Q50 is against today's 3-series.

You're STILL making INVALID assumptions! This car has YET to be tested yet you're claiming its behind the current 3-Series. THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW THAT! You, nor I know how they tuned the suspension of this car. We don't know the weight of the car. We don't know if they made any tweaks to the engine, even if it still is the VQ37. Besides, the car is STILL fast! Since when is 5.5-5.2 secs to 60 not fast! I personally don't get the point of an M3 anymore when the 335i isn't THAT much slower @ 4.9. The HP wars has has to stop somewhere or every car on the road will be trapping @ 10 secs in 5 years!

And you're ignoring the fact that the Hybrid in the M is BLAZING fast and they just dumped it into a lighter package WITH AWD in the Q50. You wanna keep up with a 335i, theres your answer, along with getting great MPG.

And to whoever said Infiniti has good marketing... No.... they don't. It's currently HORRIBLE! I think they are making a shift for the better, but marketing and branding has ALWAYS been Infiniti's weakness. The G is really their saving grace. Its just simply a good well received car that Infiniti lucked up on. Their mediocre marketing only helped a bit, otherwise it sells it self, and it will continue to.

Point is... wait til the car is tested before labeling it a failure! Just from the partial specs we know of it is competitive on paper!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 AM
trey100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I actually started to wonder if some of the numbers being tossed around are true because frankly they often sound made up. Whether sales are increasing or decreasing, percentage of coupes sold to sedans, etc. So I looked it up and found this:

Infiniti 2012 Sales compared to 2011

Jan -8.2%
Feb +1%
Mar -9.8%
Apr +5.4%
May +65.8%
Jun +66.1%
Jul +56.8%
Aug +23.6%
Sep +11.4%
Oct +27.6%
Nov +41.2%
Dec +21.8%
Source: Sales Reports - Releases - Infiniti Online Newsroom

Obviously the people fed up with the antiquated power train and lack of speedy development of new models are in the distinct minority. G sedans are by far the best seller and outsell G coupes 3 to 1 for 2012. It makes perfect business sense as to why the Sedan is getting the overhaul before the coupe.

For anybody who has posted a percentage of G's with manual transmissions vs automatics, please direct me to where you found that information. I'd really like to know.
While i don't disagree with your previous posts, the sales figures can be read how one likes sometimes. In 2012 Infiniti had the benefit of the new JX. Also. there were some ridiculous lease deals on the G mid year. I swapped my 2010 early for a 2012 and saved $150 a month for the same car. 18 month lease as well which is unheard of. These seemed engineered to keep people with Infiniti for the extended cycle of the G.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by trey100
While i don't disagree with your previous posts, the sales figures can be read how one likes sometimes. In 2012 Infiniti had the benefit of the new JX. Also. there were some ridiculous lease deals on the G mid year. I swapped my 2010 early for a 2012 and saved $150 a month for the same car. 18 month lease as well which is unheard of. These seemed engineered to keep people with Infiniti for the extended cycle of the G.
Other manufacturers had ridiculous lease deals also. That they did is irrelevant to the numbers. The numbers aren't gauging the percent increase not attributable to ridiculous lease deals.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by trey100
True. Black and white numbers are objective, but interpretation of what they mean is somewhat subjective. The JX introduction is a key factor in the overall sales increases without question. However if you look at the numbers for each model, it's impossible not to see that the G sedan sales are still leading the pack for the brand decisively. Infiniti is selling more G sedans than before which means that somewhere people are buying G sedans instead of something else. When the Q50 hits the market we'll see if it attracts more new buyers than it loses current owners who hate it. I predict that the handful of guys on this forum bemoaning how terrible the Q50 is and that they will switch to something else when their lease ends is going to be completely insignificant compared to the number of new buyers who will jump into the Q instead of comparable offerings from MB, Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc. Only time will tell. A year from now sales numbers will be the determining factor if the car is a hit or the haters are right. It won't be right for everyone and that's fine, people have to buy what they need or like. But more people in general will like it more than the G sedan. That's my prediction.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Fun fact, for the first time since the G sedans released in 03, the JX outsold it for a few months as the most popular Infiniti model.

That new JX is a popular ride so im not shocked the sales figures jumped like they did. THe lease deals are also insane. You can lease a G for the same price as a Camry.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
You can lease a G for the same price as a Camry.
Listening to some of these opinions, you'd think the G and Camry are pretty close to being the same car.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Yea, i hear that to. A lot of these forum people are obsessed with only 1 thing: How it looks. And to some of them, the Camry is more attractive (HOW anyone can think that blows me out of the water, and yes I have read that. Mostly from your coupe driving buddies )

But who knows. I think this new Q50 is going to dominate the G37 in every conceivable aspect just basing on how the car is tuned, the new, lower, wider stance, and an interior that doesn't look like the door switch trim will peel, the dash will warp, or the steering wheel will turn white. I think Infiniti learned from their mistakes.

Quick Reply: 2014 Sedan