G37 Sedan

2014 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
I read it somewhere that the "new" 7-speed would be dual clutch? I don't have complaint with current 7-speed excepts its tenancy to shift early sometime even lug the engine at low speed in D.
I believe only the 3.5L Hybrid will get the intelligent dual clutch system.

Quote from Infiniti's website:
Performance Hybrid - Conventional luxury sedans resort to larger engines to improve performance. The Q50 Hybrid uses a Lithium-Ion battery to unleash a torrent of supplementary power when accelerating. This power is channeled through its Intelligent Dual Clutch to deliver full-torque performance without sacrificing fuel efficiency.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Ya'll are really taking some leaps and bounds in this thread...

This is the second time that its been said the tranny is a dual-clutch. It IS NOT a dual clutch. The Hybrid system uses a two clutch method.

The Q50 is said to be about the same weight OR lighter.

The new M37/56xS gets all of the features of the RWD Sport package, this my be a good assumption to make that it will now be the same on the Q50.

Alot of this stuff could be answered by actually going and reading the specs in all the articles that have been posted and even easier watching some of the videos on the car. I feel your pain Black Betty...
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by nisslover
Ya'll are really taking some leaps and bounds in this thread...

This is the second time that its been said the tranny is a dual-clutch. It IS NOT a dual clutch. The Hybrid system uses a two clutch method.

The Q50 is said to be about the same weight OR lighter.

The new M37/56xS gets all of the features of the RWD Sport package, this my be a good assumption to make that it will now be the same on the Q50.

Alot of this stuff could be answered by actually going and reading the specs in all the articles that have been posted and even easier watching some of the videos on the car. I feel your pain Black Betty...
Not sure if this is directed at me, but anything I have posted about the car was either directly from Infiniti, or from articles that others have posted.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM
nisslover

No, it wasn't. lol
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
A snippet from a recent post on Autoblog. Apologies if this has been mentioned, it's getting hard keeping up with this thread.

Snippet from a recent post on Autoblog:

Thankfully, Infiniti president Johann De Nysschen (above) has stepped up to confirm that the newly revealed Q50 sedan will receive a two-door counterpart, though perhaps not as quickly as some would like. According to an interview with Australia's CarAdvice.com, De Nysschen says "the coupe we can probably expect two-and-a-half to three years down the road." That news also suggests that if there's an eventual convertible version, that it's a long way off, too. Why so long? Infiniti has "a lot of priorities" – priorities that undoubtedly include an already-confirmed front-wheel-drive small hatchback/crossover.

The report also indicates that Infiniti has some aspirations for stretching its new Q50/Q60 range in a higher-performance direction to take on competitors like BMW and Audi, the latter being De Nysschen's former employer. There's far from a firm timetable offered, of course, with De Nysschen saying "someday in the future we will be able to offer more high performance versions [of Q50] than we have today... the dynamic capabilities of this platform are very significant. It can handle far higher power than the engines we are using at launch."
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 AM
ACoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My apologies if this has been posted.
Some interesting reading on where Johann De Nysschen wants to take Infiniti:

Part 1
After Work Talk With Johan de Nysschen, CEO Of Infiniti. Part One | The Truth About Cars

Part 2
“Forget Volume:†After Work Talk With Johan de Nysschen, CEO Of Infiniti. Part 2 | The Truth About Cars
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^ Love how we are starting putting disclaimers before actually saying anything. Sorry, if this had been mentioned before, but you sir, that's too old news.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 AM
stratos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the part where he says:
“One reporter reads or hears something, he interprets it in a slightly different way so that he can report it uniquely and originally, and by the time the 20th reporter does that, we have something that it is very distant from the truth.”

I think we do this in this thread in every other post >.>
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
The very first sentence of the quoted article reads:
I can't understand the confusion about that. And to limit further confusion, there is no 3.7L hybrid. The Q50 will have continue the current 3.7L VQVHR found in the G, add the 3.5L VQ hybrid currently in the M hybrid, and in 2 years add a variant of the 1.8L turbo I4 now in the C Class Mercedes as well as a clean diesel initially to be offered only on European models for now. The diesel may possibly be offered here later - "We're reflecting on the U.S. market," said JdN.

Hope this helps.
My bad on the 3.7instead of the 3.5

My confusion is what Infiniti is doing. They are all over the place where they are headed. Now with the coupe not arriving for 2-3 more years I'm even more confused. It seems to me this release of the sedan is a quick fix for the time being.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by P Casey
My bad on the 3.5 instead of the 3.7.

My confusion is what Infiniti is doing. They are all over the place where they are headed. Now with the coupe not arriving for 2-3 more years I'm even more confused. It seems to me this release of the sedan is a quick fix for the time being.
Then it seems that you and I see things completely differently. I see exactly where JdN is trying to take the company (at least I think I do) and it's not at all unclear or confusing to me. How you can possibly think of the new Q50 as a "quick fix" is baffling to me. Now I'm confused. The nomenclature change is a clear sign of change and breaking from the way things have been done previously. It is completely inconsequential to building great cars - a great car is great no matter what it's called. It is symbolic of the new CEO's intention to do things differently than they have been done prior. To show that he is taking the brand in a different direction from the course they were on.

How they can be "all over the place" after one new model is also something I don't understand. One new car has been released in this new era. One. In fact it hasn't even actually been released yet, just revealed. And what we know so far is that it has a ton of new technology, greater focus on luxury and fuel economy while maintaining and improving performance. The partnership with Red Bull Racing as title sponsor of the Formula 1 team is a huge deal that I don't think many people here understand the strategic significance of. How many people on this forum or in Infiniti's North American market faithfully follow or even care about F1? Probably not a large percentage. But you know who does? The entire rest of the world. Europe. Asia. Latin America. Infiniti used to be a luxury division of Nissan that was strictly a US brand. They are now launching the brand internationally. That is huge. China is a huge emerging consumer market for automobiles. When it was first reported that Infiniti had plans for production facilities in China myopic people on this forum wined that they don't want a car built in China. Who the hell ever said they are building them for us? That doesn't even begin to make sense economically. But there's a billion Chinese people and another billion throughout other parts of Asia that would be just fine with it. It's not just about a few hundred guys in the US on this forum who want more HP (on paper since most only race their cars except stop light to stop light). It's about designing cars that will appeal to millions of new consumers who have money to buy them now. de Nysschen clearly stated that his vision isn't about producing as many new models as quickly as possible but where he sees the company being 15 years down the road. That involves research and development (all the new tech), new marketing (name change, new markets), and providing what most luxury car customers want to spend their money on (reliable, fuel efficient cars that have the latest and greatest stuff and sufficient power). He's not running a hot rod shop. There will be models with high performance at some point, but the plan isn't to try to rush them out quickly to satisfy a handful of impatient consumers. It's to develop something that will be outstanding. Which takes time, vision, and a coordinated plan.

At least that's my understanding of it.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Yea, I just look at it differently.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting to see the Q50 hybrid listed in this "5 fuel efficient vehicles at the Detroit Auto Show" article. Never would have thought I'd ever see a G37 (now Q50) on such a list. I think this car is going to be a home run for Infiniti, especially if there happens to be another fuel cost spike when it is released:
Fuel Economy Rises At Detroit Auto Show | Bankrate.com
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Then it seems that you and I see things completely differently. I see exactly where JdN is trying to take the company (at least I think I do) and it's not at all unclear or confusing to me. How you can possibly think of the new Q50 as a "quick fix" is baffling to me. Now I'm confused. The nomenclature change is a clear sign of change and breaking from the way things have been done previously. It is completely inconsequential to building great cars - a great car is great no matter what it's called. It is symbolic of the new CEO's intention to do things differently than they have been done prior. To show that he is taking the brand in a different direction from the course they were on.

How they can be "all over the place" after one new model is also something I don't understand. One new car has been released in this new era. One. In fact it hasn't even actually been released yet, just revealed. And what we know so far is that it has a ton of new technology, greater focus on luxury and fuel economy while maintaining and improving performance. The partnership with Red Bull Racing as title sponsor of the Formula 1 team is a huge deal that I don't think many people here understand the strategic significance of. How many people on this forum or in Infiniti's North American market faithfully follow or even care about F1? Probably not a large percentage. But you know who does? The entire rest of the world. Europe. Asia. Latin America. Infiniti used to be a luxury division of Nissan that was strictly a US brand. They are now launching the brand internationally. That is huge. China is a huge emerging consumer market for automobiles. When it was first reported that Infiniti had plans for production facilities in China myopic people on this forum wined that they don't want a car built in China. Who the hell ever said they are building them for us? That doesn't even begin to make sense economically. But there's a billion Chinese people and another billion throughout other parts of Asia that would be just fine with it. It's not just about a few hundred guys in the US on this forum who want more HP (on paper since most only race their cars except stop light to stop light). It's about designing cars that will appeal to millions of new consumers who have money to buy them now. de Nysschen clearly stated that his vision isn't about producing as many new models as quickly as possible but where he sees the company being 15 years down the road. That involves research and development (all the new tech), new marketing (name change, new markets), and providing what most luxury car customers want to spend their money on (reliable, fuel efficient cars that have the latest and greatest stuff and sufficient power). He's not running a hot rod shop. There will be models with high performance at some point, but the plan isn't to try to rush them out quickly to satisfy a handful of impatient consumers. It's to develop something that will be outstanding. Which takes time, vision, and a coordinated plan.

At least that's my understanding of it.
I motion to sticky this post.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
nisslover

^^^ AGREED ^^^

That 2.5-3 year time frame threw me off too and I was like WTH, but we have to consider he is talking about 2.5-3 years from now. We're still 6 months away from the Q50 being on sale. And he could be talking about the actual on sale date, which means the car will be revealed about 6 months before then. So what about 1-1.5 year after the Q50 is on sale they'll reveal the Q60. Sounds about right to me.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Originally Posted by My'09G37X
I motion to sticky this post.
For what... Didn't say much.

Quick Reply: 2014 Sedan