G37 Sedan

2014 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM
WILLDOGS
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hybrid electric engine will make up for lack of torque since it will help at the low end. Electric engines at low end are nuts when it comes to torque.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM
muyrec
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
whoa dual clutch. got my attention now!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I belive the Dual Clutch Control is in the hybrid system its self, not the transmission. Thats how it is in the M. I wonder if they will offer the Hybrid in AWD?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
So the hybrid will have DCT. Nice!
No, it's not a dual clutch like Audi and BMW have. It's a regular automatic with a torque converter at the front and rear of the transmission. It's the same setup as the M35 hybrid.
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Anyone notice the exhaust on the cutaway shot of the Hybrid, looks like the coupes single canister design. Will probably have a nicer engine note so we can stop asking how to make our sedans sound like coupe's haha.
WILLDOGS
Registered Member

Originally Posted by eljoker
I wonder if they will offer the Hybrid in AWD?
Yes - They have confirmed this
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM
stratos

Originally Posted by efuseakay
So the hybrid will have DCT. Nice!
You are getting mislead. The intelligent dual clutch control they are talking about on the hybrid is the system they have to engage or disengage between the gas and electric motors. It's not a DC automated manual.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM
stratos

Infiniti TonyAhlswede: Pricing details will be released closer to sale in late summer 2013.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 AM
stratos

Website is updated:

All-New 2014 Infiniti Q50 Sedan | Infiniti USA
Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM
ACoupe

I love the design. There are a few nitpicks, but overall it's much more aggressive than the current model (which has always felt jelly-beany to me).
Crisper lines, and a front end that is unique enough to still say "Infiniti".
The interior is where I will reserve judgement until I sit in it. First impressions are that I like, but seems a bit busy on paper...

And really, all the moaning about "more power" etc.
How much faster can you go? If you're expecting an M3, you're buying the wrong car. If want it specifically for track use, you're buying the wrong car.
0-60 in 5.1 seconds (for the AWD 2011 model Coupe) is pretty damn fast.
How much more can you actually use on the roads anyways?
It's a bit ridiculous to cry over an already excellent engine not being some supercar beast. There are plenty of options out there for a sports car. This is a luxury performance car...not a Porsche.

This bit from the US site sounds interesting:
"Performance Hybrid - Conventional luxury sedans resort to larger engines to improve performance. The Q50 Hybrid uses a Lithium-Ion battery to unleash a torrent of supplementary power when accelerating. This power is channeled through its Intelligent Dual Clutch to deliver full-torque performance without sacrificing fuel efficiency. Even more amazing, the system partially recharges itself every time you step on the brakes."

How that translates in terms of performance numbers I don't know. But I am excited by the new release and refuse to run around decrying the "end of Infiniti" until I at least drive this thing. I'm on my second Infiniti and I don't see the idea of a 3rd being dead at all.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
stratos

Oliwilken is it the same sys of ATTESA-E-TS AWD with SNOW mode switch?

Infiniti Oliwilken: Yes, same system, but SNOW mode will be a part of the new drive model selector.

Infiniti Oliwilken: The Q50 does not have manual transmission at time of launch.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And to be even more technical, the 7sp Hybrid does not have a torque converter. That's why they call it a direct response. The electric motor/clutch takes the place of the typical fluid filled torque converter.

The M35h is FAST. The Q50 Hybrid, which is sure to be a few hundred pounds lighter will be VERY FAST. Motortrend tested the M35h at 0-60 in 5.1 seconds! That is with a curb weight of 4,100lbs!!!! Assuming the Q50 Hybrid is a few hundred pounds lighter, you looking at a high 4 second car with great gas mileage.

Sign me up.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 AM
WILLDOGS
Registered Member

For those who missed it, an excerpt from the press release

At launch in North America, two advanced powertrains will be available, followed by additional engine options in other global markets later in the year. The Q50's refined 3.7-liter aluminum-alloy DOHC 24-valve V6 is rated at 328 horsepower and 269 lb-ft of torque and features Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS) and Variable Valve Event & Lift (VVEL®).

The available hybrid powertrain features the Infiniti Direct Response Hybrid™system with Intelligent Dual Clutch Control. It combines a 3.5-liter 24-valve DOHC aluminum-alloy V6 and compact laminated lithium-ion battery design with an innovative one-motor/two-clutch motor control. The system's V6 is rated at 296 horsepower and 255 lb-ft of torque, while the advanced 50 kW electric motor is rated at 67 horsepower and 199 lb-ft of torque. The hybrid system net power is 354 horsepower, providing strong acceleration and lean fuel economy.

"True to the Infiniti DNA, our hybrid powertrains put performance first, without compromising fuel efficiency. It takes full advantage of the electric motor's instant torque for exceptional acceleration and, in combination with the 3.5-liter V6, provides a sporty driving feel under all driving conditions. We have targeted the best balance of performance and fuel economy and hit it dead center," said de Nysschen.

Both Q50 powertrains are matched with an advanced 7-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with manual shift mode and available steering column-mounted magnesium paddle shifters. The Q50 is available in rear-wheel drive and Intelligent All-Wheel Drive with both powertrains.

Precise handling is provided by the 4-wheel independent multi-link suspension. The front is a single pivot double-wishbone design, while the revised rear design utilizes a multi-link design with coil springs and Dual Flow Path® shock absorbers, with increased camber stiffness and improved ride comfort. The suspension features extensive use of lightweight aluminum components, along with front and rear stabilizer bars. A sport-tuned suspension is available with Sport models. Also supporting the enhanced handling is an improvement in front body stiffness (versus the previous generation).

The Q50 rides on 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with machine-finished surface with 225/55R17 all-season run-flat tires. Also available are 19-inch aluminum-alloy sport wheels with 245/40R19 run-flat all-season or summer tires. Confident braking is provided by 4-wheel power-assisted vented disc brakes with 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution and Brake Assist. Also available are sport brakes with upgraded rotors, 4-piston front calipers and 2-piston rear. Steering is provided by a power-assisted vehicle-speed-sensitive rack-andpinion system.

The new Q50 also features available Infiniti Direct Adaptive Steering technology, a world's first production vehicle design. The system allows independent control of the Q50's tire angle and steering inputs, transmitting the driver's intentions to the wheels faster than a mechanical system.

This increases the direct driving performance feel by quickly and intelligently communicating road surface feedback to the driver. Four different steering settings are offered, allowing customization by driver preference or road conditions. This world's first technology provides the flexibility for the driver to change both steering effort and the steering gear ratio. A backup mechanical steering system is provided with models utilizing the new Direct Adaptive Steering technology.

Also offered is another world's first, Active Lane Control, which uses a camera-based straight-line stability system to further enhance on-center driving capability and improve vehicle stability. The system is included as part of the Lane Departure Prevention system, not only adjusting for unintended lane drift, but also making finer adjustments for minor road surface changes or crosswinds (as detected by the camera-based, lane marker detection system). The system goes beyond the traditional Lane Departure Prevention system, taking it a step further by not only reading the road ahead (the camera is located above the rearview mirror) for unintended lane drift but also by making small steering input angle adjustments if the Q50 undergoes minor direction changes due to road surface changes or crosswinds (as detected by the lane marker detection system). By reducing the need for steering input for the driver, the driver's effort may be reduced.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM
JaySin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's some pics...sorry if this was already posted. I like!

Infiniti Q50 replaces G37 at Detroit auto show - Autoweek

Edit: guess I wasn't the first to post pics...oh well...
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM
JohnnyGswag

Just thought i could see the car before its release today... and i did see it once it wuz leaked! and i gotta say... it looks nice!

Image: 2014 Infiniti Q50, size: 1024 x 581, type: gif, posted on: January 14, 2013, 1:26 pm - MotorAuthority

Quick Reply: 2014 Sedan